• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

I think it's the spiral stairs on the Intamin version, they're horrendous!

:)

electricBlll said:
Sure but I don't think Maurer Söhne are all that reliable, and as far as I know (I don't claim to be a rollercoaster expert) the Eurofighter is the only ride type that can efficiently squeeze in a lift with such small space, considering the planning restrictions. I agree, those two examples look too bulky.

I wasn't claiming Maurer to be any good, just being merely pedantic after you said no other manufacturer uses them. ;)

Rob said:
I think it's the spiral stairs on the Intamin version, they're horrendous!

Totally!

Also, the support structure is completely all over the shop, no comparing that to this is there really?

top-thrill-dragster.jpg

Courtesy Destination 360

Rocking horse poop is more frequent than me and BigAl disagreeing on here about coaster aesthetics, but hey, has to be an exception to prove the rule ;)

Slightly off topic, but, how does an evac work on a train stuck half way up a vertical lift hill? :eek:

A motorised platform that moves up and down the lift. Similar to Air.

GaryH said:
Slightly off topic, but, how does an evac work on a train stuck half way up a vertical lift hill? :eek:

In some cases:

406282_480195852035671_1648060872_n.jpg

However this shouldn't be a problem with The Smiler. Also it should probably be noted that Saw has not ever had to be evaced from the vertical lift with guests on board.

Rob said:
GaryH said:

In some cases:

406282_480195852035671_1648060872_n.jpg

However this shouldn't be a problem with The Smiler. Also it should probably be noted that Saw has not ever had to be evaced from the vertical lift with guests on board.

You get rescued by Spider Man ^^^ ;)

Either that picture has a really unnecessary Instagram filter, or they've been building this for about two decades longer than I realised.

Blaze said:
Either that picture has a really unnecessary Instagram filter, or they've been building this for about two decades longer than I realised.

I'm sad to say that it is the latter that is true - I personally find it disgusting that it has thus far taken 19 years to complete this ride.

Still - good things come to those that wait - it is one beautiful looking rollercoaster. I don't know what its going to ride like but it is a sight to behold. Best looking Gerst out there?

Blaze said:

It certainly feels like it. My friend does also have a penchant for Instagramming. I think the dive loops will probably be finished by morning.

A lot of rebar was moved from the coach park to The Smiler site this morning. So hopefully the big bulk of concrete will be complete soon!

I can see the vertical lift hill being installed very soon.

Blaze said:

The Smiler - New for 93!

=P

As a qualified photographer that photo from Rollercoasters4Life looks fantastic!

Thank You for posting it!

Glad to see that the Marmaliser is getting the embellishments as shown on the released artwork. It goes to show that a few random pipes can greatly improve the appearance and effectiveness of themeing. Plus, with the additions being added now, there is less risk of things being left off due to them running out of time after construction has finished.

734014_460602527342939_1997672932_n.jpg

Copyright Towers2Go

Station walls. :)

They've also put up a picture showing a completed dive loop. Construction has really come on in the 2-3 weeks that the park has been open.

From Alton Towers Guide

544560_547482398616276_1614857623_n.jpg

Check out the random dumbbell type things near the marmaliser base. Wonder what for? Tickler brackets maybe?

I think they sit on the joints of the legs to form a "false" articular surface. Take a look at the flasher leg - I think thats where they sit.

Though they could be the bases for the tickler, good shout. Hard to say from this angle.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.