• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Track for one of the inverted drops (the second?) going up now:

BHe_OFfCMAA-2RE.jpg:large

Pictures from loopy147 on Twitter

Wow, there's going to be a significant amount of floater on there. The time it takes to complete the roll is ridiculous.

TheMan said:
Rob said:
Yeah, I don't think it's going to be a van! Not sure what it could be:
P1150495_zps2a426bbf.jpg

My bet is a photo booth.

Good call. If it's themed nicely then I don't mind that.

:)

Noonie99 said:
I give up. I'm not getting into this again because it became personal. I guess I take it a bit personal because I have been going to Alton since 1983, and back then it was a very different place.

I find this a strange one Noonie, that genuinely surprised me. I've been visiting for a similar time frame and one fortunate enough like yourself to remember the dramatic transformation that Nemesis made to both Alton Towers, and the UK industry as a whole. It really was a game changer.

The thing is, word coming out from Towers and I believe even JW is that he wants this to be another one, to topple the two B&M giants.

I've never argued at all against the utter plain insanity of the ride, or indeed the now comical theme in it's own right. I've kept quiet for a while now on the theme elements also except the car wash, I'd happily admit to making reference to Hot Wax upsells ;D

I have to say though, it isn't looking like the theme will be as good as Oblivion and Nemesis were for their time, which is what it needs to beat (not what they are now, that's an unfair comparison).

It is however, brilliantly ridiculous, I at the moment love and hate the theme in equal measure. I just don't think it has the same level of integrity that Oblivion and Nemesis felt they had at that time.

I say all of this of course, whilst drinking a nice hot coffee out of the gloriously clever and imaginative smiler logo mug - that does, make me grin every day(must be close on my favourite logo of all time in fact). :)

If they manage to make this sinister, and comical, and have it sit nicely in x-sector when finished I will be extremely impressed.

The building though is a strange one, I think the more dismal and derelict it looks, may well actually be the perfect foil for the outrageous Marmaliser.

Still think a greater nod to The Sanctuary would have served it better, as that is so brilliantly executed, a wasted chance - but I believe this was planned first, which may suggest in fact, that as good as The Sanctuary is (I cannot believe I am going to say this), it may well be THAT, which was in fact badly themed as an linked attraction for The Smiler if that makes sense! In which case I'll take a clash of the two, rather than not have The Sanctuary! ;D :twirly:

Noonie99 said:
god help them if it isn't themed to expectation lol

To be fair, I think we are all right to expect good theming. The vast majority of Merlin's new attractions have been well themed (lets pretend Storm Surge never happened). The theming on Raptor, Krake and The Swarm in particular look great. And Thirteen's isn't too bad at all. Merlin have shown that they can do decent theming so we come to expect it for an £18 million investment at Towers.

My only concern with the theming so far is the station. It does look like the exterior walls are going to be the concrete we see now. I'm sure they will give the concrete a good clean as it is rather filthy from sitting in the car parks all winter, so that will make it look a bit better. But we have to hope that any additional theming or decorations have a big visual impact as I don't think a big concrete box will make a good looking station building.

:)

I actually am impressed by the level of theming so far. I am so excited by the ride and have been for a while. I think they have handled the marketing brilliantly and has been some of the best we've seen from a theme park for a very long time - they haven't even got into full swing yet no doubt.

I've been defending the Towers when people have been complaining even when it isn't complete yet (people are entitled to their opinions, yes). The theming quality has been rather excellent in recent years (aside from the strange use of shipping containers and scaffolding) so I'm not really concerned about that, however, it is a fair comment to say that Alton don't maintain their theming very well once its been initially made (take a look at the other topics for many examples).

I think there is a difference between those who don't like the theme, or who aren't keen - and judging the quality of it before it is finished.

You can make a fair judgement that's clear as to whether you like the theme or not, but I certainly wont judge the quality of it until it is finished. Those two opinions tend to get lumped in together and I'd like for there to be a sensible distinction.

The quality can be good, whilst not enjoying the theme itself.

I think it's okay to express any concern so long as it's not a huge damning of everything they are doing even when it's not complete. It's always about balance and on every forum you will always get members who see everything in a blind fan-boyish way and you also get those who love to hate (you should see the moaning that happens on the Europa Park forums and thats as perfect a park as you are likely to get).

Saying that i think we need to move this discussion away from the debate on opinions and back to The Smiler.

As for the station, it does worry me that the thing looks like it may be a concrete box with some yellow pipes on it, if so i think it will be a weak effort but until the thing is complete we wont know as with everything else. It's a matter of waiting and seing how it comes along.

Dave said:
(you should see the moaning that happens on the Europa Park forums and thats as perfect a park as you are likely to get).

It's a matter of waiting and seing how it comes along.

I don't believe you! (Re Europa ;) ).

Last thing I do agree with, I posted my reasons for not liking the theme loads a while ago so not doing that again, but I certainly won't judge the theme in it's own right until it is completed. They don't appear to have cut any corners on the marm thus far, I'd be surprised personally if they didn't add to the building. From what I can gather they are using huge concrete slabs to build it, that would be planned from the off, so I'd imagine they'd either add stuff to mimic old distressed/boarded windows etc on top, or maybe even cut a bit out. Given that it serves no functional purpose though, I'd imagine it will just be layered over the concrete front.

No doubt in my mind they'll be doing something to it, it will look utterly daft otherwise ;D - I know I give them some stick at times, but not even I think they'd go that far - they seem intent on doing it right, according to their visions they've released it's spot on so far. Game/recent concepts etc.

Re: Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Maya said:
Will the spider legs get a yellow messy spray paint like the game?

The messyness is probably due to the low resolution textures used to keep performance up on low spec mobile devices.

The station would look better once they put the pipes on and give it a clean, however, if it follows what the station in the game looks like, it's just too plain!

All the really needed to do was add windows (which don't have to be real) and a few other details, as well as a border along the roof to give it a bit more of a design and it would look much better!

I think we will see some fake windows like in the plans, but the inside will be eerily white and yellow, like a cleanroom.

Re the concrete, dont the plans show a 'distressed' concrete look

JB1985 said:
I think we will see some fake windows like in the plans, but the inside will be eerily white and yellow, like a cleanroom.

Re the concrete, dont the plans show a 'distressed' concrete look

The plans do show a 'distressed' look, but the game says otherwise, and the game has been much more accurate than the plans. ;)

Fencing is going up underneath the Marmaliser just look to the bottom left of this picture:

561795_549461111751738_1909773582_n.jpg

(Image taken from the Alton Towers Guide Facebook)

625640_549502838414232_1064470982_n.jpg

(Image taken from the Alton Towers Guide Facebook)

Also notice the new Toxic barrels that have been put on the Inoculator leg - fake theming pipes have also been joined on to the syringes.

I may have preferred what the original ideas for the theme via concept etc, but I have to say, that is a truly unique bit of theme right there.

It is hard nowadays to stand out and dare to do something so different, that you divide opinion so strongly (hang on, am in the Maggie topic again?).

Putting my theme preference to one side here, can anyone amongst my fellow cohorts, think of a ride this different? With a theme so unique and crazy - and frankly, very brave?

Nemesis, and Oblivion, had far less creative competition than this does now, even from smaller independent parks - the decision to go with something as outrageous as this definitely deserves respect from me as a creative individual.

I can't hide my disappointment it took this route in one sense, but then again, I cannot hide my admiration for the design team going for something quite so utterly bonkers as this is becoming.

I think the fact that so little of this discussion has included hardly any kind of track debate, also says it all.

It is not perfect that's for sure, but the closer this edges to the finished product, the more it becomes so obvious this is truly a world class attraction.

I have to agree with TheMan's point above. This is a very unique and crazy theme.
My problem is that I really don't like it :(
I know we are still in the construction phase, which seems to be speeding along now, but from what I am seeing of the station building, trenches around the base of the vertical lift etc, I fear we are going to get something that looks half finished, cheap, and plastered with smiley logos. I really expected some cladding on the station building :(
The Marmaliser is coming along quite well, as more theming is added it is starting to look more imposing. However, those car wash brushes are laughable. I will be intrigued to hear the GP comments when watching this ride.
Track and train, it's all looking very nice. That second airtime hill looks amazing, and the Gerst airtime hills kick a$$ (see Speed).

I will reserve full judgement until it's fully opened, but I fear I am going to be disappointed with the look of the finished product. I hope they will be paving and doing some element of landscaping under the ride, and we wont be left with a concrete slab with some bright yellow transfers. *crosses fingers*

Edit. There does seem to be a lot of disagreement on the themeing on this thread, with the people who really love it criticising the people don't like it for moaning. I've been around long enough and I'm quite sure that if this was being installed at Thorpe, or a Six Flags park, this forum would be tearing apart the theme / look of this ride.

Dylan said:
Edit. There does seem to be a lot of disagreement on the themeing on this thread, with the people who really love it criticising the people don't like it for moaning. I've been around long enough and I'm quite sure that if this was being installed at Thorpe, or a Six Flags park, this forum would be tearing apart the theme / look of this ride.

I think it's unfair to say only people with a positive opinion have been having a go at those with a negative opinion. It's been a two sided thing with people in either camp being as unforgiving as each other but we really need to move the debate away from people's reactions and keep it on beating the Smiler, whether you like it or don't like it.

Dylan said:
I have to agree with TheMan's point above. This is a very unique and crazy theme.
My problem is that I really don't like it :(

I have a different view of this you know. I wonder if some of us, (including me) disappointed with the theme itself would have a different opinion if it didn't have the earlier reference points. I will be blunt here. If I had not been what I feel was led a bit down a story path, for it to drastically change, I wouldn't hold the same views I have. Therefore, without that, I find it hard to believe we wouldn't be universally lording such a crackers contraption.

Think about other examples being built, like Chiapas(?) at Phantasialand - still just steel frame and basic track, showing with promise, ok not the best example as they do exceptional theme, but they are getting the time to develop it.

I have to say, I don't think we'd be anywhere near as critical. An honest opinion here from someone who openly would have preferred a Sanctuary/1984 etc lead theme. It would have been way more imposing psychologically - but would it have stood out so much? Only for the inversion record, as hard as I find that to admit.

Unlike say Nemesis, The Swarm, Colossus etc - there will never be anything built along this same style theme, it's one of those one offs.

Hang on, are those bins strapped to the inoculator? :p

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.