• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

DiogoJ42 said:
The supports still haven't been concreted in to the footers yet. Surely that will take a week or two to do them all and let them set?

Nah that's a day to concrete, and 3 days setting.

Some have already been set too.

According to TowersTimes, testing on the electrical components and lift hills will begin on Tuesday 30th April with the cars appearing on the track for full testing a few days later.

It could be possible for this to happen if they worked quickly, but I guess that we'll just have to see what happens with other areas of construction first.

DiogoJ42 said:
The supports still haven't been concreted in to the footers yet. Surely that will take a week or two to do them all and let them set?

I'm sure some of the pictures over the internet show that most of the footers down at the batwing end and towards the middle have already been done? So it shouldn't take too long? :/

I would assume a lot of work has to be done before any track testing can commence. Aside from the obvious of cementing the supports. A lot of the queue line and the Marmaliser come into close contact with track. What with health and safety I would assume most or all of this work has to be completed before any testing can begin. I can only see minor jobs such as painting railings and wiring being allowed during testing.

Seen as testing was meant to have started already and that's been pushed back i think it will be a mad dash to get the thing open for the 18th if they can at all. They where already on a tight schedule before the high winds struck a few weeks ago.

Seeing as I was on park for the mini-meet today, I thought I'd get some photos of The Smiler for you all! Not massive amounts to report on this time round as most major work has already been done. Still, hope you enjoy!

First of all, a couple of photos showing The Smiler from outside of X-Sector:
P1150816_zps8c6feca1.jpg

P1150818_zps2175ca37.jpg

The Smiler logo is now painted onto the maintenance shed:
P1150820_zpsd6de0ef8.jpg

P1150825_zps316ed319.jpg

A look down the site:
P1150821_zpsf6886dbe.jpg

And from a slightly different angle:

P1150841_zps7aa8a15f.jpg

Some photos showing the feet of the Marmaliser legs, some are more complete than others:
P1150822_zps5f11d4f0.jpg

P1150835_zpsf3d821f8.jpg

P1150836_zpsf695ceb1.jpg

P1150845_zpsc357b6e6.jpg

P1150847_zps659d5e4b.jpg

P1150848_zpsa6cfaf69.jpg

P1150850_zps98f9314e.jpg

P1150870_zpsed88c7a0.jpg

More fencing:
P1150843_zpsde3c5062.jpg

The welding work that was being done on Thursday is now complete:
P1150826_zpscf8d6508.jpg

An overview from Blivvy's merge point:
P1150831_zps57adb2c5.jpg

Some shots of The Smiler from a slightly lower perspective:
P1150852_zps8752d0ac.jpg

P1150853_zps4228a5b0.jpg

P1150854_zps23364ab4.jpg

P1150855_zps8a17bd00.jpg

The station building, more cladding has been done around the shop:
P1150856_zps00ba6913.jpg

A close up of the shop:
P1150857_zps55361eb4.jpg

Walls/cladding on the other side of the shop are now in place:
P1150862_zpsdbe3069f.jpg

And the roof is being put on:
P1150863_zps91d7109f.jpg

These arrows have appeared on the wall leading up to the vertical lift:
P1150864_zps912ed398.jpg

And this yellow bridge has appeared. Could TVs and/or cameras be put on this?:
P1150883_zps404f8b61.jpg

Filling in footers with concrete:
P1150869_zps2c86ee5a.jpg

P1150877_zpsd0ff2507.jpg

This is a photo that didn't entirely work out but is a little arty so thought I'd post it:
P1150871_zps5c4c212a.jpg

So, they've had to cut out part of one of the supports:
P1150832_zps7e059666.jpg

P1150833_zps94b2efe9.jpg

Worrying or normal?
P1150840_zps0f0f176d.jpg

An overview of where the work on the supports is taking place:
P1150884_zps70afa544.jpg

This piece of track doesn't look entirely like it's for a brand new coaster:
P1150878_zps33b1f78f.jpg

And finally, The Smile Pills have returned, only now they are Smile Sweets:
P1150885_zps1cff93d2.jpg

As usual, all photos were taken from areas of the park fully accessible to the public. Please do not replicate my photos without permission. TowersStreet may used them if they wish.

:)

Smiler sweets sounds much better than smiler pills. I would rather they were just in yellow and black and not the other colours, they look a bit out of place!

Also is that some kind of medal above it or something else? Don't think I have seen that before.

Yeah there is now a medal on sale which is indeed new. Didn't bother with a photo as I don't class it as exciting merch! :p

Great to see them starting to dismantling the ride, but it was nice seeing them testing today :)

That bridge....potential for a live actor pre show? Long shot I know, but with everything else we've seen on this beast, who's to rule it out at this point?

I'd be interested to know how they've painted the maintenance shed. Would they have used some kind of projector and went around the shape with tape or done it by eye? If the latter, that's really impressive!

Panda said:
I'd be interested to know how they've painted the maintenance shed. Would they have used some kind of projector and went around the shape with tape or done it by eye? If the latter, that's really impressive!

Surely they can't have done it by eye, they must have had some kind of guideline to get the tape on the building. The builders don't exactly look like Caravaggio to me :p

Panda said:

They did indeed use some form of tape, which can be seen in this photo from my previous update:

P1150812_zpsd182d8f3.jpg

Not sure exactly how they went about painting in/around the tape though.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
So are they getting builders to apply the fine theming elements?

There are currently several different 'construction' teams on site. But with it being a construction site they obviously all have to wear hard hard and hi-vis etc, so it is hard to differentiate before them. I doubt the people who erected the station steelwork for example are the same that are applying theming details such as painting.

Energetic_starfish said:
The smiler to open on 18/5/2014 ...
HAHAHAHA! *slaps thigh* :p

Alastair said:
Panda said:

Surely they can't have done it by eye, they must have had some kind of guideline to get the tape on the building. The builders don't exactly look like Caravaggio to me :p

I think they're more than likely to be proper artists from Studios or such. They probably had a drawing with gridlines on to copy over onto the wall. ;D

The Alton Towers guide have posted two images, showing the theming before the vertical lift is now being added:

5untba.jpg

And supposedly, staff are also training on the vertical lift for evacuation procedures:

428423_556581564373026_131497624_n.jpg

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.