• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
JAMMYD778 said:
I'm still puzzled by the presence of that unused concrete footer casing by the onride photo camera. They've even bothered to paint it black but why is an empty concrete footer case there?

It's for the chair and horn.

Rob said:
Another look through the entrance into the queue:
P1160319_zpsa0a9bcf8.jpg

Why is it that on any new ride project, do they not think about gates to close the queue.

As with Rita, Nemmy Sub-Terra, Battle Galleons & 13, all failed to have a form of closing the queueline on the opening day...

Unbelievable...

Dean said:
Rob said:
Another look through the entrance into the queue:
P1160319_zpsa0a9bcf8.jpg

Why is it that on any new ride project, do they not think about gates to close the queue.

As with Rita, Nemmy Sub-Terra, Battle Galleons & 13, all failed to have a form of closing the queueline on the opening day...

Unbelievable...

Good point... well made!

I was really looking forward to the intimacy between the ride and queue but I fear this mesh (and very dense mesh compared to the queue line walls, I might add) will really hinder that. And does it really need to be that colour?! If they don't paint it, it will look awful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Marmaliser aside, this is without question the most poorly themed ride of any major coaster at Alton Towers aside from Rita.

Did they get any creative consultants in at all during the design stages?!

Honestly that queue is absolutely criminal. On what planet is it acceptable to have paying guests caged inside metal boxes for several hours on end? None. Only at Merlin parks.

Almost everything I loved about the ride from the plans has evaporated.

An awful lot of people are saying that the thought of queueing for 2-3 hours+ in those cages is horrible. Can I offer you all a solution? Don't join a queue that is 2-3 hours long. :p Seriously, as much as we like to discuss and joke about queue time horror storys I can honestly say that excluding breakdowns or unforseen events I haven't queued more than two hours for a ride since Air over 10 years ago, and I don't feel that I've missed out on anything as a result.

Also, a lot of enthusiasts are now getting on my nerves (NOT so much here, mainly on Facebook, other forums etc) with this over-dramatic concern about the psychological well being of guests queuing for a rollercoaster which has, in parts, got a mesh roof above them. It's pathetic.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Marmaliser aside, this is without question the most poorly themed ride of any major coaster at Alton Towers aside from Rita.

Honestly that queue is absolutely criminal. On what planet is it acceptable to have paying guests caged inside metal boxes for several hours on end? None. Only at Merlin parks.

Seriously have you seen Air or Th13teen, there is absolutely no theming on Air bar some nice rocks and Th13teen is the wonderful world of scaffolding. I'm no big fan of the station building but the rest looks good. The queue cages are not great as i don't like being hemmed in but it only seems to be in areas where the ride gets close to the queue.

CoasterCrazyChris said:

Surely that could be part of the theme? It's quite industrial looking, so it fits in well. The theme is based around a 'type' of asylum, surely that fits in with being trapped etc? It's an experiment.

Personally so far, think it looks great for the theme they intend it to be.

As a theme itself, I'm sure there could've been better ideas, but as theyve decided on this theme, it does all seem to be fitting into place....no?

I agree with the idea that in this case it will increase the intensity of your nerves.

It looks horrible. Imposing. Claustrophobic (which I am a bit as probably many people are) and the thought of that is already heightening my adrenaline.

To be honest, whether it fits in with the theme or not - being in such a confined space for hours on end could potentially put off a lot of guests from experiencing the ride.

James said:
To be honest, whether it fits in with the theme or not - being in such a confined space for hours on end could potentially put off a lot of guests from experiencing the ride.

Can I add... GOOD.

Less queues.... ironically ;)

(just joking obviously)

If the meshed-over areas of queue prove to be too claustrophobic over the next few weeks, there's always the possibility that they could look at raising the height of the mesh-ceilings and fences, or maybe even widening them in places.

Given that they're an entirely enclosed structure anyway, you could make them as tall as you like, as long as they don't interfere with the clearance of the actual ride. :)

Sam said:
If the meshed-over areas of queue prove to be too claustrophobic over the next few weeks, there's always the possibility that they could look at raising the height of the mesh-ceilings and fences, or maybe even widening them in places.

Given that they're an entirely enclosed structure anyway, you could make them as tall as you like, as long as they don't interfere with the clearance of the actual ride. :)

That implies they will care Sam lol.

Hate to burst your bubble there old chap but...

TheMan said:
Can I add... GOOD.

Less queues.... ironically ;)

(just joking obviously)

Pahaha, yeah good in some ways. But I'm thinking of the overall guest satisfaction here. ;)

I'm not claustrophobic myself, quite fine being in confined spaces actually. But even that looks a bit too much for me. I'll still queue for the ride, for hours if I ever have to. But as far as queue enjoyment goes, there will be none here. I just hope the ride whizzing about you will be enough to entertain!

Th13teen's queue frustrates me enough, god knows how much this one will frustrate me!

TheMan said:

If guests are having a thoroughly miserable time (or even triggering panic attacks) for several hours while waiting to ride, and the solution is relatively very cheap and easy, then yes they will care. Merlin aren't idiots.

Sam said:
TheMan said:

If guests are having a thoroughly miserable time (or even triggering panic attacks) for several hours while waiting to ride, and the solution is relatively very cheap and easy, then yes they will care. Merlin aren't idiots.

It isn't enclosed all the way around. If it was I'd probably agree, but it's only for certain sections, my only surprise is people are surprised it's happening.

Once people started to talk about it my first reaction was oh they've got round to that now then. It had to be that or a stupidly large net, at least this way, the view should not be obscured from the open queue lines.

It may not be pretty, but in this case I have to admit it is common sense. I'd rather that than get a phone in the head!

I really don't think claustrophobia is going to be an issue. I don't suffer from it to any severe degree myself but I'm just thinking of queue lines like the old Space Invader 2 and the tunnel bridge of the Black Hole. If you have ever queued from the entrance to SI2, all the way through, you'll know what I'm talking about. It was dark, hot, stuffy, slow, crowded and much narrower that what we are seeing on The Smiler. I would be interested to know how many people actually suffered from panic attacks there, I'd be willing to bet it wasn't many.

As from a fire point of view, again SI2 would have been much more likely to cause panic. H&S were fine with that, as I am sure they are fine with may more enclosed or indoor queue lines.

Mi-Nigle said:
I really don't think claustrophobia is going to be an issue. I don't suffer from it to any severe degree myself but I'm just thinking of queue lines like the old Space Invader 2 and the tunnel bridge of the Black Hole. If you have ever queued from the entrance to SI2, all the way through, you'll know what I'm talking about. It was dark, hot, stuffy, slow, crowded and much narrower that what we are seeing on The Smiler. I would be interested to know how many people actually suffered from panic attacks there, I'd be willing to bet it wasn't many.

As from a fire point of view, again SI2 would have been much more likely to cause panic. H&S were fine with that, as I am sure they are fine with may more enclosed or indoor queue lines.

That's true you know. BH & SI2 were far, far worse. Same can be said for X of course.

Not thought of that. I wonder why this is creating more anxiety?

Because people are raking for negatives, which it is but unfortunately expected really. There will be netting on the site too as its just to close to the track. Yesterday looking at the site I think the only real issue is going to be the queue but they where damned by space. Though it nights have been prudent to have looked at going up the hill a bit, though its a steep bank.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.