• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Marketing discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [SW7] Marketing discussion

BigAl said:
Rob said:
BigAl said:
That looks fake. The 'Resort' font looks like the different font that someone on here was making.

Edit: Was it Cotda that was making the font? I remember a test version being released.

I think the only reason you're seeing the "Resort" part differently is because we have never seen a capital "R" in the Alton Towers font before. The other letters are identical to those in the word "Alton Towers". There's no way this is fake.

:)

He included the letters from the logo in his font though:

images

?

As I've said, we have never seen the capital "R" in the Alton Towers font before, so it is bound to look different and unusual. I agree that it does look a bit weird but I believe it is because we haven't ever seen "Alton Towers Resort" written like that before.

Also, who in their right mind would go to that much effort to create four massive promotional posters? If it was to be fan made (which I'm 99.99% sure it isn't) then someone needs help!!

As for this video, it's good, very good. The only part that makes me think it might not be genuine in the ending text. I have a feeling it is real though, but we aren't supposed to have access to it yet.

:)

That is the real font.

No offence meant to cotda's attempt but looking at it something just doesn't feel right. The letters are all misaligned and some look bold and others not.

However the words on this poster look just like the real font. It would take some serious talent to create something that close without being the real thing. Plus they'd need to pay for the advertising space.

Given that The Smiler has been trademarked by Merlin and It has now appeared on an official looking poster I think we have to accept this is the name of the ride. Sure it could be the name of the logo but if so why hasn't the rides name joined it on the trademark list?

I really had hoped for better :(

Was everybody who doesn't like the idea of SW7 being called "The Smiler" because it doesn't sound scary enough as equally against a scaremaze being called The Sanctuary?

that video is pretty legit i would say. seems to be AT's style.

Is that not the same girl from the TH13TEEN ads

Also, if the video wasn't legit, why would it have randomly been removed from YouTube a few weeks ago? Then again could just be coincidence. It is a smashing clip though. :)

Tim said:
Given that The Smiler has been trademarked by Merlin and It has now appeared on an official looking poster I think we have to accept this is the name of the ride. Sure it could be the name of the logo but if so why hasn't the rides name joined it on the trademark list?

I really had hoped for better :(

Erm the reason it may have not joined the list is the that people can find it out as was proven with The Smiler trademark.

Not as exciting as the projections but another Smiler has been found at SEA LIFE Birmingham this time IN a tank. I think this one looks really effective!

15i81lk.jpg

Why would they first reveal the name in a poster on a random London street though?

Yes it is "marketing" if legit but it just doesn't make any sense.

auntiiimartiii said:
Why would they first reveal the name in a poster on a random London street though?

Considering the posters would no doubt have been put up by a contractor, I think it's entirely plausible that they could have been put up earlier than they were supposed to in error.

ThemeParkJack said:
I'm gonna ring the agency in the morning asking about the video. I will post what they say tomorrow.

Please don't, they have much better things to do with their time. :)

That video is awesome though! It's obviously official, if it's linked to that ad company. It's way too good to be an enthusiast messing around on AfterEffects. They've got a proper location, props and actor and everything! It's scary as hell! :D

Craig said:
auntiiimartiii said:

Considering the posters would no doubt have been put up by a contractor, I think it's entirely plausible that they could have been put up earlier than they were supposed to in error.

Touché.

I'm still suspicious however =P.

auntiiimartiii said:

May be a press release is due this week with the name being revealed? and just by chance when fresh new posters have been put around London it happens to be a night when two enthusiasts come across them. :p

I love the video that's been going around tonight. I really hope there's a few more being made and they are shown on TV before the full advert is shown! Kind of reminds me of the set of 'Prepare for Air' blipverts that were shown before the reveal of the full advert.

Regarding the video and whether it's legit or not...if it was then why, as the description says, would it have been filmed on a DSLR? Would they not have filmed it on something more substantial? I not very tech savvy so there's probably an easy explanation to it.

Awesome video though :)

People have been saying there will be a reveal from alton-towers on wednesday and if it happens i wont be surprised #GETCORRECTED

Joshysqaushy said:
People have been saying there will be a reveal from alton-towers on wednesday and if it happens i wont be surprised #GETCORRECTED

Is there a way of blocking people's avatars? Because that seriously creeps me out :(

Well, this evening has been exciting hasn't it! So far so good for my theory on the names ;)

Anyway, I have to say, that video is AMAZING! :D Wow, soooo creepy and seems very much in the style of The Sanctuary etc. Very well done, and certainly seem legit! However, I have one reason to doubt it; and that is, that it has so far been confirmed that Towers are once again working with Bottle Top Graphics on this project, for all the media based stuff such as video's etc! Said company is based in Nottingham, not Manchester!

However, if it wasn't legit, I highly doubt it would be linked with a company, so maybe, Towers are working with multiple companies for the rides media. Maybe Bottle Top for queue and ride stuff, and these guys for the viral/marketing stuff?

Who knows, again, only time will tell :p

AshleeKel said:
Joshysqaushy said:

Is there a way of blocking people's avatars? Because that seriously creeps me out :(
Goodnight :)

Sammy said:
However, I have one reason to doubt it; and that is, that it has so far been confirmed that Towers are once again working with Bottle Top Graphics on this project, for all the media based stuff such as video's etc! Said company is based in Nottingham, not Manchester!

That is good news, I love the Terry Q vids :)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.