• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Marketing discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [SW7] Marketing discussion

Can I please call an end to this debate on whether the video is legitimate or not? It obviously is, because it has links back to a professional and well-known ad agency. There's no doubt that it's legitimate.

Any further debate on this subject would just clutter up the topic to be honest. :)

Sammy said:
Well, this evening has been exciting hasn't it! So far so good for my theory on the names ;)

Anyway, I have to say, that video is AMAZING! :D Wow, soooo creepy and seems very much in the style of The Sanctuary etc. Very well done, and certainly seem legit! However, I have one reason to doubt it; and that is, that it has so far been confirmed that Towers are once again working with Bottle Top Graphics on this project, for all the media based stuff such as video's etc! Said company is based in Nottingham, not Manchester!

However, if it wasn't legit, I highly doubt it would be linked with a company, so maybe, Towers are working with multiple companies for the rides media. Maybe Bottle Top for queue and ride stuff, and these guys for the viral/marketing stuff?

Who knows, again, only time will tell :p

Bottletop have definitely done the queue line videos, but I don't think anything else, so I'd agree with you that maybe they are using this company for the viral marketing.

LiamC said:
Regarding the video and whether it's legit or not...if it was then why, as the description says, would it have been filmed on a DSLR? Would they not have filmed it on something more substantial? I not very tech savvy so there's probably an easy explanation to it.

I can't speak much about cameras, as I'm not familiar with video work. However it depends what model camera they've used. It's a Canon 5D that has been used. I've used three 5D models in the past. I know it won't be the original 5D that was used so they've either used the 5D Mark II or 5D Mark III. Judging by the quality I'd be more inclined to believe the 5D Mark III which has been used.

DSLRs are quite great for making videos. You can create HD videos, it's a very portable device (easier than carrying bulky systems around with you) and allows a lot of flexibility. At a hunch I would assume that DSLRs are used for viral video work, stuff that will only be strictly used on the internet and not in a thematic sense (as the advert probably will) - when it comes to the advert I'm sure that's where the big equipment comes out.

In summary: It's a smaller device probably used for viral materials. In the case of a big business, it makes perfect sense to have a DSLR for these needs (they can take promotional images with it at the same time too). :)

The video is brilliant, really strange :)

An excellent piece of work. I wonder how it was discovered, given that it's been online for two weeks now.

On a slightly different note, for those interested, T4 Media are the people that have done the advertising at railway stations. They do a lot of this high impact advertising. The ones at stations are AdGates.

:)

Neuros said:
Regarding the video posted earlier:
EDIT: link removed by team

Probably fake though...

Oh for god's sake! When will these people get a life? That is sooo fake, if it was real why would it have a screenshot of part of a video as its profile pic? Honestly... ::)

^ Also, they don't seem to know the difference between 'to' and 'too'. ::)

Sam said:
Can I please call an end to this debate on whether the video is legitimate or not? It obviously is, because it has links back to a professional and well-known ad agency. There's no doubt that it's legitimate.

Any further debate on this subject would just clutter up the topic to be honest. :)

Yes. The video has been uploaded on someones portfolio on Vimeo not the companies. Don't you think if it was actually legit they would of posted it on the companies portfolio not someones (Daniel Bickerton) vimeo? Thats why i wanted too inquire about it on the phone.

Removing links to the clearly fake facebook page, lets not promote it any further.

ThemeParkJack said:
Sam said:

Yes. The video has been uploaded on someones portfolio on Vimeo not the companies. Don't you think if it was actually legit they would of posted it on the companies portfolio not someones (Daniel Bickerton) vimeo? Thats why i wanted too inquire about it on the phone.

Except it's not this companies job to answer to phone calls from fans asking about the legitimacy of a video?

ThemeParkJack said:
Sam said:

Seriously, please don't. It'll be awkward and embarrassing for everyone involved. (I hate to use this term but) I'm a senior member of the forum, and us other old-timers are 100% sure this is legit. Please, trust us and don't phone up that ad agency, they don't need their time wasted by calls from enthusiasts. Trust us, please. We're all in consensus that this is legit. :)

As an individual, I certainly would never and would not recommend contacting the company.

ThemeParkJack said:
Sam said:

His portfolio is a collection of real videos he has done for different companies, he obviously just likes to show his work. If you search 'Getcorrected' on google it comes up with this, as well as saying under the link that it is a teaser viral for Alton Towers.

EDIT: Aaaannd it's just been removed of his profile, I guess we weren't supposed to see it...? :p

Hmm. Yeah true. I just want too see if it is official. What you say and what Towers say are two different things. Just because your 'old-timers' doesn't mean you know weather its official.

Think it through. Would they tell you if it was for a project that they haven't announced, with no links to Alton in the video except #getcorrected? They are probably under all sorts of contracts and non-disclosure agreements. Like others have said, it would probably be a really awkward conversation with them denying all knowledge.

ThemeParkJack said:
Hmm. Yeah true. I just want too see if it is official. What you say and what Towers say are two different things. Just because your 'old-timers' doesn't mean you know weather its official.

No, you're right, it's not simply because we're old timers. We know it's official because we've been around a long time, and we know that if a video is linked back to a professional advertising agency, that confirms it as genuine. Add in the extremely high production values, and it confirms it 100%. Big ad agencies aren't usually in the habit of making hoax ad campaigns to fool enthusiasts. Plus, it's clearly been taken down because we've found it. If it was a hoax, it wouldn't have been taken down, as they'd want as many people to see it as possible.

I don't want to derail the topic by sticking to the same point, but please don't phone up that ad agency. It'll embarrass you, it'll embarrass and annoy them, and it'll give us all a bad name. I don't want to put words into their mouths, but I'm sure any of the team members would say the same thing (Ben already has above). Just trust us, please, and don't ring them up. We're sure about this one, we promise you. :)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.