• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Marketing discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [SW7] Marketing discussion

I like the name. There I said it. Again.

Also, that picture is the sex

I have definitely warmed to the name, for the first time I am genuinely excited about this thing!

Someone should tell the team responsible for the website that this has appeared, theres a link at the end of the video that doesn't go anywhere at the moment!

thesmiler.jpg

And so The Metro is the first outlet to confirm! Love the random voiceovers of the sheep, most out of place looking thing in the context of the theme and video :p

Also, the link in the video - http://www.altontowers.com/thesmiler/ hasn't even been set up yet.

Still, at least we've got closure on the matter now :)

It also makes reference to it being a "World's First" rollercoaster. The plot thickens :p

It's not a surprise! They mentioned that previously several times including in a marketing video that's still freely available to view. I think 'world beating' and 'world's first' are just interchangeable terms to them.

What a dreadful name...Sounds like a cheap carnival ride. Inoculator sounds MUCH better, as does Delirium, or Blackout, or Madness, or basically anything sounds better!

You've dissapointed me Alton :(

Interesting to point out that the Metro states the ride will open in the ''Spring'' rather than any specefied date, which is a bit concerning.

As for the name, it's not as sinister as I would have liked but I think the quirkiness of it will really appeal to the general public and it's the name we were all expecting anyway!

This is a bit fishy, why would AT allow a newspaper to release the name of their new ride before they do, and in the middle of the night? The website isn't even ready yet, I think that article has been released earlier than it should have done...

Josh said:
This is a bit fishy, why would AT allow a newspaper to release the name of their new ride before they do, and in the middle of the night? The website isn't even ready yet, I think that article has been released earlier than it should have done...

They'll have told the press to reveal all in regards to the sheep on Monday. I'm guessing Alton were not expecting 1 to release it at 00:01 on a Monday morning.

Love the name, but the dumbass misleading stuff by teasing words like 'The Inoculator' is just patronising and annoying. I love virals and teasing ad campaigns, but to post things which intend to deliberately mislead fans is offensive to anybody over the age of six. They knew what they were doing.

'Oh, aren't we clever making them think it might be called something else then putting them right. Watching them discuss things that we already know. They're like idiots we can play with'.

Puts me off to be honest.

The name, is the icon, that everyone loves.

This is what it is called. How can you call that icon inoculater or anything like that?

I don't get how you can love the icon, and not like the name.

So many of you have it now, on phones, wallpaper, signatures etc.

They aren't separate for most people like they have been for us. The GP get both pretty much at the same time.

HUGE smiley face, called The Smiler.

They don't know what goes on behind this yet, and as they create the adverts (the one everyone is praising, that prominently features a what?), it builds to make sense together!

We, as usual, get everything in the wrong order as we are nosey and it doesn't build as organically as this marketing clearly is for the GP.

Look how the press are lapping this up! It really is first class, and none of it would be so, if it wasn't for the context of the ideas they are planting in peoples brains.

Stand back now, and enjoy how they build it so you can get it as they intend you to.

If the name still makes no sense then, fair enough, they need a fair go to deliver this plan - not even I think it is right to criticise it until the context is created. None of us know what they are going to do with this yet.

The Smiler is everywhere, forget the loops, they are trying to create something spectacular here, something really interactive, give them chance.

This is brilliant!

Josh said:

It may have been but it's a national newspaper and there is an official logo on there along with an onsite construction photo. I'm guessing they've released it early but it's still 100% the name.

As has been said above, today would have been given to the press as a release date for the sheep story. If they didn't put a time on the embargo then it is in the Metro's interest to release the story before competitors' do.

Moley said:
Josh said:

They'll have told the press to reveal all in regards to the sheep on Monday. I'm guessing Alton were not expecting 1 to release it at 00:01 on a Monday morning.

True, I guess when all the normal people wake up AT will have set up the website by then, only enthusiasts will have noticed this at this time of the morning :p

Josh said:
Moley said:
Josh said:

True, I guess when the all the normal people wake up AT will have set up the website by then, only enthusiasts will have noticed this at this time of the morning :p
And anyone who happens to go on The Metro's website... It currently has pride of place at the top of the 'trending' list on their homepage.

Is it just me that thinks 'let's ride The Smiler' sounds...inappropriate?... Anyway, in context I actually quite like it. Almost gives the impression it's a machine or tool rather than a ride. And sounds quite sinister giving it an innocent name, just like 'The sanctuary' or 'The Ministry of Joy'. I'm not a fan of 'The' names, but I believe in this case it will compliment the theme and story rather than crapify it. If anything the name is meant to be ironic.

Eddie said:
What a dreadful name...Sounds like a cheap carnival ride. Inoculator sounds MUCH better, as does Delirium, or Blackout, or Madness, or basically anything sounds better!

You've dissapointed me Alton :(

I agree that the inoculator sounds better as does delirium and I am a little dissapointed however the smiler is a good and suitably creepy name. Still, I do prefer the Inoculator but I do belive this is the name for the spider thing? I am a bit dissapointed.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.