• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Marketing discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Tim said:
Those yellow symbols and lines are the queue line :p

just remember:

This is a game, not the actual ride.

Oops! :p

Upon closer looking at the video there are some symbols on the flooring though, and areas such as where the second lift hill is the floor has got painted lines and so on around it.

Of course we know this is not the actual ride. However the track layout will be the same ( we could see a lack of worlds first appearing on there though) and the look of it will most likely be similar to the actual thing.

Obviously the dimensions are completely off and the finer details will be missing. It does give a nice general overview of how it will look though and some of the elements it will have. :)

Matmi have added an article to their blog today with a little more information on the game/app. Mostly what we already know but still nice to know for certain nonetheless. :)

Matmi said:
The Smiler is the new world first rollercoaster coming to Alton Towers Resort in May 2013. The Smiler is an all controlling force committed to ensuring you smile. Always.

—The Smiler Game—
- Experience the intense thrills, twists and turns of the ride ahead of its opening
- Take control of The Smiler ride cars and the minds of the rollercoaster riders
- Steer a perfect line through the inversions of the ride
- Take advantage of the boost to maximise your scoring potential
- Upgrade the rollercoaster step by step by unlocking loops and psychological effects

—The Smiler Scanner—
Discover a world you didn’t know existed through The Smiler Scanner.

—Wheel of Win—
Win special Alton Towers Resort prizes with a free spin every day.

Developed alongside the fantastic people at TBWA and Alton Towers.

Right, so the bit where it looked like it could have been a launch was actually a game element. Still, it's free so I'll definitely be downloading. Any idea of a release date yet?

James said:
Of course we know this is not the actual ride. However the track layout will be the same...
I'm probably being stupid here, but how do we know this? I thought (perhaps incorrectly) that one of the objectives of the game was to gain points, and use these points to purchase/upgrade track elements, thus rendering the validity of any layout within the game questionable.

I could be entirely wrong, though...

Well that video is rather good! I love that version of ITHOTMK, hope we see it used on the TV ad! The game looks like it is going to be very interesting, I think we will know the full layout before long.

On a separate note, so many people on park are talking about The Smiler which is great! Lots of kids were pointing to where constriction was taking place and saying "look they're building The Smiler". I couldn't believe how many people were talking about it!

:)

Islander said:
James said:
Of course we know this is not the actual ride. However the track layout will be the same...
I'm probably being stupid here, but how do we know this? I thought (perhaps incorrectly) that one of the objectives of the game was to gain points, and use these points to purchase/upgrade track elements, thus rendering the validity of any layout within the game questionable.

I could be entirely wrong, though...
I think the idea is that you are buying the inversions for the ride which then replaces a fake element that previously takes its place. So what you end up with is the complete ride.

This picture shows it quite well:

52b13d4e154a46ffb606a26.png

As you can see this should be the Knot but only the Batwing exists. So you "Upgrade" that... (for want of a better word over-banked turn) add you've unlocked the complete element.

Theoretically you can make this ride look like the plans by not upgrading the new inversions that have only just appeared.

Assuming that this is the point of the game it seems certain that they are highlighting some inversion record... sigh.

Well the inversion record is what we are expecting so it fits. I'm quite excited, a nice full-on thrill ride for a change. And with a creative layout instead of bolting in-lines together until you have a record.

James said:
Matmi have added an article to their blog today with a little more information on the game/app. Mostly what we already know but still nice to know for certain nonetheless. :)

Matmi said:
The Smiler is the new world first rollercoaster coming to Alton Towers Resort in May 2013. The Smiler is an all controlling force committed to ensuring you smile. Always.

—The Smiler Game—
- Experience the intense thrills, twists and turns of the ride ahead of its opening
- Take control of The Smiler ride cars and the minds of the rollercoaster riders
- Steer a perfect line through the inversions of the ride
- Take advantage of the boost to maximise your scoring potential
- Upgrade the rollercoaster step by step by unlocking loops and psychological effects

—The Smiler Scanner—
Discover a world you didn’t know existed through The Smiler Scanner.

—Wheel of Win—
Win special Alton Towers Resort prizes with a free spin every day.

Developed alongside the fantastic people at TBWA and Alton Towers.

I've just realised, it says developed alongside the fantastic people at TBWA, the advertising agency that made this video, #GetCorrected

Is this proof that the video is official?

If I remember correctly that video was made for The Smiler as a proposal video but it won't definitely be used for the ride or marketing.

It's definitely legit but not necessarily something we will see used.

Dave said:
If I remember correctly that video was made for The Smiler as a proposal video but it won't definitely be used for the ride or marketing.

It's definitely legit but not necessarily something we will see used.

Was pretty obvious to me that video was official right from the off, the biggest clue was simply the smile animation - no idea how anyone could have thought otherwise really.

It is also a shame it will not get used. It was, imho, stunningly effective - and also, very, very memorable which is clearly one of the most important aspects. Who out of those who watched it, cannot recall how creepy it was?

The actual advert needs to be better, but how I don't know, that for me was absolutely on the money. It could have been developed a little of course, and this be an early mock up.

It's well made but a bit cliché really. Only the moment at the end with the sudden approach to the camera and smile is effective. But psychiatric wards and possessed teenage girls have been done before...

Actually that reminds me of the main Thirteen advert. Again it used a distressed-looking girl, but she was actually sympathetic because of the inevitability of her situation as she let the vines tangle around her, like she had given up hope of escape. Wow, in terms of atmosphere and imagery, that was a brilliant advert. If The Smiler's main advert is as clever as that I will be very excited!

electricBlll said:
It's well made but a bit cliché really. Only the moment at the end with the sudden approach to the camera and smile is effective. But psychiatric wards and possessed teenage girls have been done before...

I do agree, but it is kinda in perfect context this time, I just really liked it and don't tend to judge art on how often a certain style has been used, rather it's relevance and effectiveness therein if that makes sense.

Also, comparing this to other theme park and coaster adverts, and the GPs sense of popular culture is also important. In that context, it is spectacular.

I personally hope they have taken the fundamentals behind it, and enhanced it :)

For me it is like a painting of nature, the only difference is the tree/plant type and some colours, but the skill is in the artist telling a story of the scene even though it's familiar and arguable cliche - doesn't make it less aesthetically pleasing, well to me anyway.

It is a totally subjective matter however - as in all art, so it makes neither of us right or wrong, simply discussion as to preferences :twirly:

Let's not forget too, that the entire ride is based upon a cliche, indeed I believe it is that which makes it such an incredible design - it plays up to it purposefully, rather than pretending to be something it isn't, if that makes sense.

TheMan said:
For me it is like a painting of nature, the only difference is the tree/plant type and some colours, but the skill is in the artist telling a story of the scene even though it's familiar and arguable cliche - doesn't make it less aesthetically pleasing, well to me anyway.
Well that's entirely correct but I don't see what makes that video so spectacular. It's literally just a girl walking down a white corridor, sitting on a chair and waving her arms about in a possessed manner. Plus some post-production effects to make it look like CCTV.

There's nothing too interesting about the way they have planned, shot or edited it, or anything like that. I do get the humour in it, and I guess it's quite amusing in many ways. Just not quite good enough material for a huge marketing campaign, in my opinion.

But as you say, I hope they take that basic idea and give it a distinct Alton Towers twist. Then the hypnosis concept could become fantastic. :twirly: :twirly:

electricBlll said:
There's nothing too interesting about the way they have planned, shot or edited it, or anything like that. I do get the humour in it, and I guess it's quite amusing in many ways. Just not quite good enough material for a huge marketing campaign, in my opinion.

I agree with you, I am not sure what it is that drew me so far into that advert but I really loved it, but what you say makes sense - it's not that I don't see the sense in what you are saying, it's just for some reason, I love it as it is.

If they can really develop though even better, and given we are talking about adverts for a roller coaster, that's even better! "FUNSPOT STYLE" and the totally bizarre "STORM" adverts do really show how good recent Alton adverts have been :)

This can be a real classic if done well!

Alton are saying theres an important annoucement to make tomorrow, I have a feeling by the time I get home from school the game will be out!

Maya said:
Alton are saying theres an important annoucement to make tomorrow, I have a feeling by the time I get home from school the game will be out!

They haven't really made any indication on the subject of the announcement. It could be anything.

Maya said:

It will be something to do with the game, as there were rumours that it was going to be released on Monday. :)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.