• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Marketing discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Rob said:
A quick point. I noticed today that The Smiler advertising at University station Birmingham has now been removed from the barriers. I don't know if this is the same at other stations. It didn't seem to last that long which is a shame.

:)

The ones at Leeds are long gone :( Considering the now delayed opening date I think it all started a little too early. It could be argued however that this was all set in motion before the delay was confirmed.

Wasn't sure where to put this as it's technically marketing but could relate to construction, but I'll stick it in here anyway.

InsideTheTowers Network

Latest Smiler News: Images on the front of the 2013 School Trip brochure CLEARLY show Smiler trains with seats, floors and leg restraints.

They just posted this on their Facebook page. I don't know how true this is or how legit these guys are as I've not followed them long, so take from it what you will :)

LiamC said:
Wasn't sure where to put this as it's technically marketing but could relate to construction, but I'll stick it in here anyway.

InsideTheTowers Network

Latest Smiler News: Images on the front of the 2013 School Trip brochure CLEARLY show Smiler trains with seats, floors and leg restraints.

They just posted this on their Facebook page. I don't know how true this is or how legit these guys are as I've not followed them long, so take from it what you will :)

Leg restraints?!

The 2013 key visual from our Facebook page:

184232_445039305566519_953068274_n.jpg

I must say I like that a lot! One of the best main visuals they've done in the past few years.

Alastair said:
LiamC said:

InsideTheTowers Network

Leg restraints?!

My reaction was also that of a wtf type outburst. Then I got thinking about straight jacket type theming and restraints to tie in with the whole MOJ/Asylum type story that is possibly going to go with it.

Either way, it's a ridiculous idea and would be horrible if it came about :/

LiamC said:
Alastair said:
LiamC said:

InsideTheTowers Network

Leg restraints?!

My reaction was also that of a wtf type outburst. Then I got thinking about straight jacket type theming and restraints to tie in with the whole MOJ/Asylum type story that is possibly going to go with it.

Either way, it's a ridiculous idea and would be horrible if it came about :/

Adding another restraint type would also destroy throughput.

I've had a look and it doesn't appear that the School Trip brochure is available online at the moment. However, I wouldn't have through the front cover would feature a close up of The Smiler's trains. And secondly I can't imagine there being any form of leg restraints at all. It would slow down train dispatches a lot as they would be hard to check. Plus they would be pointless. So yeah, I'm willing to be proven wrong but not happening!

EDIT: I've just seen InsideTheTowers Network's status about this and in a comment they have gone on to say that they are "rails" in front of the seats, so I'd imagine they will be no different to what is on say Oblivion and Saw. Why they decided to call them leg restraints in their status is beyond me.

TowersTimes are claiming that TV advertisement for The Smiler has begun, wish flashes of the ride logo in ad breaks. Seems early for a May opening!

Rob said:
TowersTimes are claiming that TV advertisement for The Smiler has begun, wish flashes of the ride logo in ad breaks. Seems early for a May opening!

I would say its rather early, but I haven't seen it on tele yet

Rob said:

They also claimed that there was something behind the "corrected" banner. ;)

If blipverts like that have indeed started it makes a LOT of sense - they're are now in the middle of what must be their busiest ever Feb Half Term event, the 10k guests who were on park Saturday alone will have all seen the new SW7 posters as well as the logo remaining on some places it's been sprayed (such as the Phalanx tank...awwwks...), and so reinforcing that with it appearing on TV this week would seem the sensible thing to do to keep brand awareness going :)

I still think it's very early *if* these adverts have started... Especially for a ride with a May opening! That's still 2.5-3 months away and would be a VERY long time to keep television advertising and brand awareness going.

It'll be interesting to see how resort advertising works this year. What will advertising for the season opening be like and how will The Smiler be worked in?

Has any videos of these popped up online yet? I thought I saw one during last nights Black Mirror on c4, but it was actually a c4 advert using the same black and yellow theme the Smiler has - it could easily be a mistake.

It could be the short break advert they have been running the last few weeks, that has a smiler section.

From Alton Towers' Twitter:

Alton Towers said:
Join us tomorrow morning for an exclusive sneak preview video of #TheSmilerGame

Wonder what they will reveal! Maybe some more screen shots of the game or a short video?

Well, it does say 'preview video' so I guess it will be a clip of the game that lasts for 5-10 seconds probably.

It'll certainly be interesting anyway!

Oh yeah so it does, I clearly didn't read that properly! :-[

A video it is then! ;D

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.