• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Toilet Topic

The Dyson Airblades used to cost over £1000 a unit back when Alton Towers went through their little experiments (they range from £600-£900 now), I would assume World Dryers cost considerably less. Alton Towers no doubt could never see the point in paying £1000s and £1000s all for the sake of Dyson Airblades to be installed park wide. World Dryers offer a cheaper price while still providing what Towers need.

Regarding how cold the toilets can be. It's always baffled me why they've never installed air curtains in the toilet blocks. They can easily buy ones that block the air from outside whilst blowing warm/hot/cold air into the building.

Scott said:
Slugjc said:
On a serious point are we as a nation even suprised that toilets are in a bad way. You go anywhere and the bogs are dirty horrible and not kept up the standred we want. Mostly because the "youth/chavs" just see them as an easy target to look hard. As for the staff. they are on minwage, not easy cleaning up after over people for minwage. and whats the point in spending the thousands needed to do them up when within a month they'llbe trashed and knackred
I don't think that's quite true... I don't go everywhere and think that public toilets are disgusting and horrible. Toilets are a very hard place to get right as, to put it bluntly, they're where we go to let out our waste and thus are never going to be the most wonderful places to be - especially when hundreds of people per day are using them! Public toilets in parks or in truly public places are often horrible, sometimes because they are abused by people or usually because they are council run and thus not cleaned often enough.

Public toilets on private property though are usually pretty good. Most restaurants, bars, shopping centres, supermarkets and visitor attractions have decent loos. They don't get trashed or ruined usually - and if they do, the culprit can usually be caught. If decent money was spent on the toilets at Towers they wouldn't just be trashed mindlessly straight away and they would give off a much better impression to people.

Where i work our toilets are cleaner every 2 hours and but you can clean a toilet look back and within 20 mins it will be trashed again, its because most of the public do not care about the state they leave the toilet in, or that there is a bit for the tissue (the girls are worse for that one ;) ) or the worse one of a lot leaving poo on the toilet handle floor mirrors ect

If the public don't respect the toilets there not much you can do to keep them clean and there nothing more annoying then referbing toilets then then getting someone smashing them up or grafting them

I must be the only one here that has never had any issue with the toilets! As picky as you want to be, generally the toilets in Alton are clean (usually always someone in there mopping the floors), there is always loo paper in the cubicles, they dont smell too bad, and its not very often you find a toilet out of order. There is always soap in the dispensers, and there are hand driers. What more do you want out of a public toilet????

As for heating, yes the loo seats can be a bit chilly to put ones bottom on during the winter months, but your only in there a few minutes at the most!

If there would be one thing I would ask for it would be to make the taps stay on a bit longer. Some of them you literally press it down and a second later its off (and your trousers are soaked!)

moowoo said:
Scott said:
Slugjc said:
On a serious point are we as a nation even suprised that toilets are in a bad way. You go anywhere and the bogs are dirty horrible and not kept up the standred we want. Mostly because the "youth/chavs" just see them as an easy target to look hard. As for the staff. they are on minwage, not easy cleaning up after over people for minwage. and whats the point in spending the thousands needed to do them up when within a month they'llbe trashed and knackred
I don't think that's quite true... I don't go everywhere and think that public toilets are disgusting and horrible. Toilets are a very hard place to get right as, to put it bluntly, they're where we go to let out our waste and thus are never going to be the most wonderful places to be - especially when hundreds of people per day are using them! Public toilets in parks or in truly public places are often horrible, sometimes because they are abused by people or usually because they are council run and thus not cleaned often enough.

Public toilets on private property though are usually pretty good. Most restaurants, bars, shopping centres, supermarkets and visitor attractions have decent loos. They don't get trashed or ruined usually - and if they do, the culprit can usually be caught. If decent money was spent on the toilets at Towers they wouldn't just be trashed mindlessly straight away and they would give off a much better impression to people.

Where i work our toilets are cleaner every 2 hours and but you can clean a toilet look back and within 20 mins it will be trashed again, its because most of the public do not care about the state they leave the toilet in, or that there is a bit for the tissue (the girls are worse for that one ;) ) or the worse one of a lot leaving poo on the toilet handle floor mirrors ect

If the public don't respect the toilets there not much you can do to keep them clean and there nothing more annoying then referbing toilets then then getting someone smashing them up or grafting them

Restraunts yes (except fast food) Bars? you must go to some posh bars because in most ive been in damn. Supermarkets ill agree although ive seen some that are woeful. Alot of public places ill agree but depends on the time of day you go.

AT has alot of toilets over a vast area. The amount of people going in there per hour will be way over any other public place. Alot of people will have failed to say is that when it rains the state of toilet no matter how much you clean it will always look appalling. You could employ someone to constantly mop them bogs and they'll still look the same. Like you say it just takes 20 mins till there looking same as they did. Plus some places prob have more spare staff to cope.

No matter how many thousands and how much you make it look amazing. The public will trash it. Trust me. The dirty youths wont care how much they cost

Nah, it'll look fine. There are plenty of places with heavy usage and the toilet blocks are fine (london eye being one which is always packed but looks good).

They just need durable products, and it'll work in their favour. All that really needs doing is an updated decor and possibly easier to clean surface areas. Oh, and heaters above doors sounds good.

Be interesting to see what they've done to X Sector toilets.

There is now a need for this topic to be brought back up! We are getting a new toilet block next year!! ;D

An investment such as this is a rarity for Towers and it should be celebrated. Rumour has it they will be ensuring that only cold water runs from the taps to maintain consistency across the park. ;)

In all seriousness though, this is good news. Hopefully they will be done to a much better standard than the current toilets on park. Decent toilets are long overdue.

:)

So many questions about toilets...

I want to know if they'll be themed though. It would be great if they were just a hole in a wooden box like a good old traditional farm. ;)

It's good that we are getting new toilets when they decided to have a complex support structure for The Smiler instead of just building new toilets...

They may end up pulling the ones out of X-Sector to fix Smiler, so they could just dump them in this "new" kids area! ;)

Am I right in thinking these will be the first new toilets at Alton Towers (excluding hotels) since the gloomy wood ones in 1992?

I highly doubt they will be themed, I doubt the outside will be themed! But at least they will be clean and new!

They now just need to refurbish all the other toilet blocks, they are so outdated, old, broken, dirty, etc!

On the plans they seem to be keeping the two next to berry bish bash, as well as adding a couple of changing rooms there. Then this is a brand new block located where the Ice tent currently is.

Not quite sure why they are keeping the current ones (And adding changing next to it), when they are building a brand new block just near by.

When a child needs to go they NEED to go, so having another set of toilets can only be a good thing.

While a theme park like Alton Towers they should aim to have themed toilets... I doubt it will happen - but new toilets can only be a good thing!

you know my long running joke about the theming of the toilets, 80's motorway.

To be honest, although the toilets do look dated. They are are not totally dire. They are in good repair, I have never seen a broken loo. yes heating and hot water is a problem, and i have commented on some fixes for those problems.

They do get a bit messy, especially when the weather is bad and the floors get mucky. however this is a routine cleaning problem, not one of building fabric failure.

delta79 said:
They are are not totally dire. They are in good repair, I have never seen a broken loo. yes heating and hot water is a problem, and i have commented on some fixes for those problems.

There is also still the annoyance of the taps that either blast water out like a pressure washer or are so close to the bowl and so weak that you can't physically get your hands underneath them. Let's hope they have perfected the art of tap design with the new toilets ;)

I forgot about that Alastair, Yes the flow and timing of the tap is an issue.

djtruefitt said:
Am I right in thinking these will be the first new toilets at Alton Towers (excluding hotels) since the gloomy wood ones in 1992?

unless you include the single toilet in Pizza Pasta, which is one of those awful vacum ones - which im convinced just fires your turds into the rapids.
Its an awful tiny, dark and cheap room. Basically it fits in with the rest of Altons toilets a treat!

I do wish they would look at some toilets in Katanga though, the Gloomy Wood ones are miles away as are the Mutiny Bay ones.