• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Toilet Topic

They did a partial update, yes. But they're still pretty rubbish, you find better toilets at motorway service stations than you do Alton Towers.
No, the Muntiny Bay ones were gutted and redone weren't they? The cubicles, cisterns and bowls were all replaced at least.

For me the main issue that I don't think was fixed in those ones is the number of sinks and number of driers.
All toilets using air driers should have one drier per sink!

Edit, found the tweet, the cubicles and walls were all redone four years ago

Well this could very well come back to give them a cold under-carriage wash during a sit-down wee. Toilets impact on guest satisfaction way more than whether your dark ride theming is up to scratch.

I remember seeing at some point that theme park toilets were ranked and/or given awards?? Chessington received one I am sure - years ago!

Also, I really do question whether it was a minimum cost solution - they'd have had to do a lot of work to install these across all blocks??
Blackpool won with the toilets by the Alice ride many years ago, won the national prize outright one year.
I think the award certificates are still on the wall...I shall investigate further and report back.

The problem is, even though ones which have been redone feel cheaply done. They basically just put some vinyl over the floor tiles, and stuck some plastic sheeting over the wall tiles.

The Towers Street toilets were also only redone a year or two ago. You wouldn’t have thought it if you go in it now. The wood all near the toilets is rotten and it just looks tacky.

What they need to do is properly rip it out, re plaster, re tile, etc. and not do it on the cheap, but spend more money now, which will save money in the long run.

Alton just putting lays of new paint over old is what they always done.
Next year is my 30th year of coming to Alton Towers and most of the toilets haven’t changed much but they there to do your business and continue with your day. As long as there regularly cleaned then everyone happy.

I will continue to bang the same drum.
As an old git, I always like hot water in the bogs.
And more than one working blower.
Especially when paying for the privilege.
There's a reason why hot water hand washing facilities are a legal requirement inside food preparation facilities. I know there's stuff out there saying the effects of hot water are negligible but my hands don't feel hygienic unless I've washed them thoroughly with soap and hot water. I've always thought that the provision of hot water was a pretty basic level of standard to expect.

And what's with all these hand driers you have to put your hands inside? I find this very unhygienic as it's very hard not to inadvertently touch the sides as you do it. I don't know what disgusting person has touched it and what they were drying off their hands before me, so why would I want to put my hands inside one?

There's a reason why hot water hand washing facilities are a legal requirement inside food preparation facilities. I know there's stuff out there saying the effects of hot water are negligible but my hands don't feel hygienic unless I've washed them thoroughly with soap and hot water. I've always thought that the provision of hot water was a pretty basic level of standard to expect.

And what's with all these hand driers you have to put your hands inside? I find this very unhygienic as it's very hard not to inadvertently touch the sides as you do it. I don't know what disgusting person has touched it and what they were drying off their hands before me, so why would I want to put my hands inside one?
I'm the same, I have to use soap and hot water or I don't feel they're clean. And I won't eat food with my hands unless they're clean.

I don't like those hand driers either. I try very hard not to touch the sides, but as you say it's nearly impossible. Give me a regular automatic hand drier any day.

Hate to say it, but good old rough recycled paper towels do the best job.
No blowing the germs around in the bogs with all that hot air either.

Does anyone know what year the Airforce hand dryers were replaced with these Initial dryers?

Also most Merlin hand sanitisers are empty, as soon as Summer of 2021 hit they stopped refilling them.

I visited Towers in August and found every single toilet (except the one before you go through the gate) to be modern and with decorated doors, hand dryers with warm air and warm water which was all different to what was described? Does anyone know when these refurbs were completed, I know between 2016 and 2019 but does anyone know exactly when?

And LEGOLAND (with the exception of the hotel) had mostly old toilets with dirty blue flooring and blue walls, however on my later visits some started to be refurbished with new black tiles, coloured tiled flooring, automatic warm water taps, and a move back to Dyson hand dryers. Only 2 grotty blue-walled blocks remain.

I want to know what people think about the toilets at Merlin.
But on a side note I am fascinated by hand dryers and I know Merlin sites used to have World Dryer push button things, then Dyson Airblades, then WD Airforces, and then Initial blue and red light dryers.
However LEGOLAND has seen a move back to Dysons in refurbed blocks, and Thorpe or Chessington has had a new toilet design plus weird-shaped high speed dryers.

Anyone who knows anything about the 2013 - 20 history of Merlin toilets, or wants to leave a comment in general about Merlin toilets is welcome to and I look forward to everyone’s responses.

There are half a dozen toilet topics on here, plus one (or two?) poo topics for the scatologically inclined.
"The Toilet Topic" is a decade old, and recently used...
Pardon the smell.
Sorry, still not clever enough to do links...

I’m trying to find the toilet topics but I’ve only found a small whiff of them - the long one you mentioned that’s lasted a decade.
I started my own because there’s certain little details I wished to know, most prominently the season and year when Towers’ replaced the Airforce hand dryers with them Initial things.

I’m trying to find the toilet topics but I’ve only found a small whiff of them - the long one you mentioned that’s lasted a decade.
I started my own because there’s certain little details I wished to know, most prominently the season and year when Towers’ replaced the Airforce hand dryers with them Initial things.

This information is already being discussed in the toilet topics I think as there was a post in there about toilet refurbs that might interest you.

For other theme parks there is alternative topics available including

Toilets: A bit of a dump

Or for discussion of public toilets.