• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

I like the Thorpe park live idea for Saturdays in summer. Hopefully utilises the arena!

Well wether you love or hate the new map I think they're certainly on the right path what with them revealing that Lionsgate Fright Nights are returning (Hopefully they can improve it from the feedback and lessons learnt last year), along with MoS Ride and VIBES, and Summer Nights. The idea of Thorpe Park Live sounds very interesting too. Even if it means we'll possibly see a few upcoming artists no one's really heard of yet (And no doubt there will probably be a couple of bad ones in there :p ) at least it means that something will be happening all season round at the park. I'm pretty impressed by it all :)

With regards to how generic the new brand looks personally, whilst I do really like it, I wonder if it's intended as a stepping stone. They've acknowledged how poor the old brand was, and whilst they try and find something which works and learn more about their family market once more they've introduced this blank canvas which they can work with and build on in the coming seasons in response to guest feedback. To me it seems like a solid starting point which they can build on, much like the new Fright Nights. Give it 4-5 years and I reckon we could be looking at a very different Thorpe Park if they do it right...

I hope you are right, Ian! The blandness of this map worries me in that all the sense of themeing and adventure is gone...does that mean they won't invest as heavily in it's upkeep and instead go for a Cedar Point style clean-and-crisp coasters-in-a-carpark vibe? (Despite it being bigger and ostensibly better, I can't imagine I'd enjoy Gatekeeper as much as The Swarm)

To be honest despite my years of complaining, I'd become used to the ridiculous old brand and it's naffness. It was almost endearing. Almost.

I'll just leave this here...

7b137a2dcd71864ad97a42093c10adca.png

Not proof-reading your park map, how very professional. I really hope that version has gone to print, it will be utterly hilarious!!

:)

It was testing, very, very slowly... No idea if it did open in the end, but certainly hadn't when I left today...

KingNemesis said:
I'll just leave this here...

7b137a2dcd71864ad97a42093c10adca.png

Merlin typos are becoming somewhat habitual for them. This one however is by far the best I can remember so far ;D

Inferno, Rocket Lunch? Must be opening a new hot curry joint!

I'm very disappointed that Thorpe Park haven't been able to improve any ride experiences over the closed season. The flat rides in Lost City are in a appalling state, and I feel like not an ounce has gone into trying to improve them. It's a shame. Thorpe Park has some really good rides, but they all run like crap. How long is it before Vortex and Samuari see the scrapheap?

I agree that of all the Merlin UK parks, Thorpe has seen the least refreshment.

AstroDan said:
I agree that of all the Merlin UK parks, Thorpe has seen the least refreshment.

I agree this year but then they've had plenty over the last few years that IMO it don't really need it.

As for Angry Birds land I'm not overly excited about it (its not really targeted at me) but it will take a what was dull unused area freshen it up and give it a new lease of life which can only be good.

Out of all Merlin's British theme parks, Thorpe is definitely in the best condition, infrastructure wise. Mostly because it started to receive substantial development a lot later than the others, around the 2000 - 2007 period.

Although other parks lack this infrastructure, they are still in better nick, with flowing themed lands, quality theming and nice atmospheres. Whereas Thorpe just have a bunch of coasters and flats that are moderately themed. I doubt Angry Birds Land will be anything special, just a repaint of the old Central Park area, that lost it's theme to Pirates after the fire. The extension of Stealth Diner and the new show look good though.

Lets talk Thorpe park bus prices:

Last Year £3 return
This Year £4.70 return

For a 24 MINUTE JOURNEY THERE AND BACK!!!!

It now costs more then my train ticket. What the hell is going on?

Also after speaking to a few ride ops staff, it is now very clear to me that they wont do 2-train operations if it is an off peak day.

And finally, the map is much better in person then on the computer. Its not great though.

I wouldn't complain too much about bus prices... I pay about £4.30 for a return to the city from mine and that's a 15 min journey each way

Scott said:
I wouldn't complain too much about bus prices... I pay about £4.30 for a return to the city from mine and that's a 15 min journey each way

But there are no student concessions or anything! Bus prices are expensive, but in London they certainly don't pump them up that high and by that percentage every year. It doesn't bug me that its £4.70, it bugs me that its a £1.70 increase from last year. And the prices are outdated and hard to find on the TP website!