• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

BenBowser said:
^ That last paragraph sums it up really. If they can't even be bothered to add any Angry Birds stickers to the cars! :/

Its. Not. Finished.

Its not going to be a theming masterpiece and they've never claimed it will be. But its the kind of fun area the park needs and I've no doubt it will do exactly what the park needs it to do.

simps100 said:
BenBowser said:
^ That last paragraph sums it up really. If they can't even be bothered to add any Angry Birds stickers to the cars! :/

Its. Not. Finished.

Its not going to be a theming masterpiece and they've never claimed it will be. But its the kind of fun area the park needs and I've no doubt it will do exactly what the park needs it to do.

Is it going to look drastically different?

Thorpe just doesn't seem to do very well with it's non coaster installations, i think that might change eventually and i have a strong suspicion that this is a "ohh crap we need something family quick" scenario.

Where's all the posts about the poor capacity to aid fastrack sales?

COME ON GUYS! Let me down why don't you!

Could've had fun here..

One test bumper car out doesn't mean they will all look like that. I am sure they will have vinyls of birds and pigs on as in the concept art but why put that out now and risk the builder scratching the theming.

As others said, what are you expecting, look at the dodgems are Chessington, they are simple to build. They are also fun for all ages and this site was shown on the MTDP as space for a flat ride which is what we are getting. Thorpe has too many thrill rides and needs more non-inverting and non-water rides which is what we are getting. I think once finished the area will look fine, the giant fibreglass birds they had out at Easter looked great.

Dave said:
simps100 said:
BenBowser said:

Its. Not. Finished.

Is it going to look drastically different?

Thorpe just doesn't seem to do very well with it's non coaster installations, i think that might change eventually and i have a strong suspicion that this is a "ohh crap we need something family quick" scenario.

I Guess it depends how you define well? (The year Storm Surge was installed was the parks busiest ever year).

I think the main problem thorpe has is everyones so used to masses of money being spent each year as it was for a good 10 years or so the smaller investments are seen are more disappointing.

Angry Birds Land is not going to be a theming masterpiece, no question about that but im sure once its complete it will look good and its the perfect line up of attractions the park needs at this time.

Oh bless your ever positive position.

:p

Really, fans of Thorpe shouldn't stand for this cheapening of the brand.

If Towers had announced this, TST/TTF would be livid!

Why the sudden hate for Dogems? They are good fun rides for most the family, especially teens with a bit of bravado. They are also commen place in Theme Parks and not just fairs with places like Chessington, Europa Park and even Disney if you count the flying sourcers / tire ride owning them.

I'm not defending Thorpe on the Angry Birds development but the Dogems is the one ride I plan to enjoy the hell out of ;D

AstroDan said:
Oh bless your ever positive position.

:p

Really, fans of Thorpe shouldn't stand for this cheapening of the brand.

If Towers had announced this, TST/TTF would be livid!
Ha i do try to be positive :p

Angry Birds land isnt really designed for our age range i guess, its an improvement on the old pirates 4d cinema which has sat empty for years and it brings much needed family attractions to the park. I guess only time will tell how successful it will be!

It will be successful...

Which just means Merlin will continue on the path of poorly designed, built on the cheap additions to their parks...

That in itself is probably going to be the worst thing to come out of this all... Merlin will look at the job, and as a result of a success, will keep on that level of quality to it... Vinyls on the buildings and fibreglass models isn't what I'd want to see from any park, and it's quite frankly poor to see that such a large company can get so outdone on a regular basis by smaller parks with smaller budgets...

Is it because the budgets to too tight on the parks? Or is it because the parks cannot use their allocated budgets to their maximum potential? It's probably a bit of both, but the additions of the last several years at Merlin all lack something that truly screams quality... A successful Angry Birds Land will only continue this trend further...

Let's not pretend this is going to be good just because it's better than what was there before. Angry Birds is a cheap IP. Dodgems, however good they can be, are dodgems and cost next to nothing in theme park terms. Painted walls with stickers is hardly theming. Fibreglass models might seem ok but they will probably look somewhat cheap, heck I don't think it's possible to make an IP like Angry Birds look anything other than cheap.

I don't buy any of this it's not targeted at this age group. CBeebies Land isn't targeted at people like me but from what I've seen it looks fantastic. Same goes for many other kids or family areas I have visited at various different parks.

If people are satisfied with investments like this at one of the biggest theme parks in the UK then it really does show what a state the UK theme park industry is in right now.

EDIT:

Anyway, I've just come across this on Screamscape:

Screamscape said:
2015 - New Themed Ride Concept - Rumor - (5/16/14) According to an early rumor sent my way, Thorpe Park may be looking into building a new highly themed ride concept for 2015. Anyone else know more? With Merlin trying their hand at building some unique new indoor themed ride concepts at other Merlin parks, Thorpe Park is due for something special as well.

Fits in with the dark ride rumours for next year. I pray to god it's not something that ends with ABC drop towers though, let's hope it's something totally unique!

:)

Excellent, if that comes out as planned it looks like a fantastic hotel. With any luck the long rumoured 2015 investment is true too and we can start seeing some really worthwhile non-coaster investment at Thorpe, something it has desperately needed for a good few years.

There's a jetty on those plans. Definitely not happening then! ;)

Looks good though in all honesty, if it goes as planned and is of good quality. Certainly almost anything is preferable to Thorpe Shark anyway.

Wow, these plans do look very good. Totally brilliant. I just wish it. Was being built somewhere on the island, the it would feel like you never leave the magic.

Oh well. These plans still look bloody brilliant.

It does look very nice, however doesn't open till 2018? Plenty of time for them to change their minds (as this is the 3rd time the plans have been submitted!).

Rob said:
I pray to god it's not something that ends with ABC drop towers though

It will be. There's no point in even pretending. It's as predictable as shipping containers, 'worlds firsts' and random satellite dishes.

Wonderful! The plans look really good - 2018 is a long way away bit this is a positive step.

It's interesting to note that the current plans were merely outline planning permission. This submission is the real deal, with the details and so on - so if this is passed this is definite action for the hotel to be built

This hotel should already have been built rather than the Shark hotel.

Nice to see a quality looking application.