• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

New photo:

10366001_10152404583880867_3110411824941543330_n.jpg

Right I know it's not finished but these really are going to look somewhat poor. A few stickers isn't going to make them well themed. With such a cheap ride surely they could have got some custom shells of some sorts? These are just standard dodgems cars painted green and red. If there's more then stickers to be added then fair enough but I really doubt it.

:)

Never seen dodgems with freakin' lap bars before. I wonder if 'elf and safety will mean one won't be allowed to bump into someone else's car?

nickhutson said:
Never seen dodgems with freakin' lap bars before. I wonder if 'elf and safety will mean one won't be allowed to bump into someone else's car?

Not sure whether you're joking or not, but I've seen that before: "One way round, no bumping."

Many dodgems do say no bumping. Enforcing it is a completely different matter though, never going to happen!

:)

Don't most dodgems have restraints in one way or another? And most places seem to be too afraid of allowing people to actually allow guests to use them as bumper cars too (sort of defeats any point in having them).

I have seen Dodgems using lapbars before. To me it actually makes quite good sense, as it's far easier to pull down a lapbar and see at a glance it's closed, rather than faffing with those stupid looped belts a lot of traveling ones use. Should hopefully make the throughput a little better.

So that makes... One good thing to come out of this project :p

They are technically 'dodge thems' not 'bump thems' but by dodging you obviously end up bumping into people :p

We all know the best part of dodgems is those great head on collisions! ;)

Chessington's Dodgems have had lap bars for 14 years... It's not exactly a brand new thing...

I'd say it'll be a preference for the theme park environment over the usual funfair location these tend to live in, lot more regulations and safety procedures to follow...

Seems to be quite a few negative comments on their Facebook when a pic was posted this morning. Whilst I applaud them working to bring families back to the resort as soon as possible, I can't help but think it would have been better to either add an additional flat to make the area a little more substantial, or bring in something a little more imaginative than dodgems.

The major thing is will be that Thorpe still have that "Thrillseekers Paradise" stigma about them, be interesting to see how families react to a park that's not particularly geared for them to come in their masses anymore...

I visited Thorpe Park yesterday, and Angry Birds land really doesn't look as offensive as the photos led me to believe. The day was great actually, with us managing to get on every single ride in the park (excluding the Canada Creek flats and Wet Wet Wet), and some of them multiple times without leaving the station (looking at Saw and Loggers Leap)

photo1_zpsd250c167.jpg

Now, this may not mean anything at all, but combined with suits lingering between here and the Arena all day, and staff with clipboards poking around the Wet Wet Wet area, my suspicions were raised somewhat. I always thought that a small outdoor water park never quite made sense in the UK, so is it unreasonable to assume some developments in this area in the near future? Personally I wouldn't be surprised to see a few new paths to make the entrance into the park slightly less convoluted, but beyond that I wouldn't know what to expect , other than assuming it will be another family development. Thoughts?

That could be it, but I don't know whether its quite Merlin's style to build a show building that would be surrounded on all sides by paths, and require theming...

If that happens then it will probably have a theme whereby they somehow 'get away' with a corrugated metal building a la Sub-Terra. If they build a new large building and theme all four sides then I think I might actually drop dead in shock! :p

Should just turn the beach into a massive entrance plaza, with a couple of buildings (GS, shop, restaurants) and a stage for events and what-not...

Would no doubt provide a better opening spectacle to the park than what's there now...