• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

I'm now reading 'rumours' that the 'X closure' is merely a retheme. Considering it received some lighting improvements and refurbishment work this season, that would make more sense. Similar to how Bubbleworks received a technical refurb before its last season in preparation for its retheme.

Hmmm. Wonder what awful IP it will be...

I'm now reading 'rumours' that the 'X closure' is merely a retheme. Considering it received some lighting improvements and refurbishment work this season, that would make more sense. Similar to how Bubbleworks received a technical refurb before its last season in preparation for its retheme.

Hmmm. Wonder what awful IP it will be...

Possibly combining the Walking Dead maze with the coaster as a finale? I thought the build quality on Living Nightmare was a bit too good to be true. Had presumed it was as the propertior demanded as such for the IP, but Lionsgate just see the show as a tacky cash cow these days.

I am amazed how anyone can bash Colossus for roughness then go on to praise Saw!

C'mon man, that's taking what I said completely out of context!

I never made Saw out to be a memory foam mattress, in fact I clearly stated to the contrary. I also never criticised Colossus solely for its awful ride comfort.

I simply can't agree with the notion that a coasters theming and landscaping is as important as the way it rides. You could stick a Pinfari on the Colossus site and get Disney to come in and stick £100k worth of theming on it for you but it would still be a Pinfari. That's not to say this stuff isn't important of course, it really can make or break a coaster experience and out of reach coasters seen only from a distance through the wire fencing of a cattlepen queue are massively inferior experiences for it. But you need a good coaster at the end of that queue and for me Colossus is just a dull, gimmicky and uncomfortable ride.

I must admit however that I haven't tried it front row in a few years so I'll take your advice and try this next season.

Anyway, didn't this whole thing start because someone suggested Colossus was being removed? Whatever happens to X, any suggestion that Colossus is being removed probably came out of a bull's arse.

Anyway, didn't this whole thing start because someone suggested Colossus was being removed? Whatever happens to X, any suggestion that Colossus is being removed probably came out of a bull's arse.

I think the responce from us all of having no x means we are not bothered, its a old ride thats not that special. The building has alot of potential.

They can remove X the rollercoaster but they better keep the rave room queue line. Every park needs a rave area :cool:

Reactions: pj
Possibly combining the Walking Dead maze with the coaster as a finale? I thought the build quality on Living Nightmare was a bit too good to be true. Had presumed it was as the propertior demanded as such for the IP, but Lionsgate just see the show as a tacky cash cow these days.

Lionsgate own the Saw franchise, AMC owns Walking Dead.
Fox is also involved with TWD as they own the UK rights, it's all very confusing who owns what when it comes to TV shows, but Lionsgate has nowt to do with FTWD or TWD. It probably was something as simple as AMC demanding high standards.

Lionsgate own the Saw franchise, AMC owns Walking Dead.
Fox is also involved with TWD as they own the UK rights, it's all very confusing who owns what when it comes to TV shows, but Lionsgate has nowt to do with FTWD or TWD. It probably was something as simple as AMC demanding high standards.

My mistake, then! Saying that, if AMC demand such high standards, they should have taken a look at the last few seasons of the show itself. o_O

I really hope that this new for 2018 attraction is a flat ride and not a retheme of X or a permanent Walking Dead maze. I think one of those Gerstlauer Sky Rollers would really suit Thorpe, although I'm not too sure if Merlin would want to use Gerstlauer again after Smiler. Maybe they could go with a Zamperla Air Race. Or, failing both of those options, they could go with an ABC Tourbillon like the Cyborg thing going to SFGAdv next year, call it "Jigsaw's Death Trap" or something and ram it on the Slammer site. All I want is for this attraction not to be one of these live action attractions that only appeals in the short term *cough* IAC and Saw *cough*.

Why does this rule exist?

There was talk earlier in the year that there was a incident or some such thing, I don't know the details though.

...and please Thorpe, get back to what your good at and build a new flat or two or a coaster, please shake off this obsession you have with 'experiences', Saw Alive sits unused for most of the year, IAC is crap and Derren Brown's been as successful as the Universal Credit roll out (and about as reliable as too).

I'd assume it'll be because if the other seat is empty, the restraint can be pushed right down and potentially someone could potentially slip themselves out.

only been on X once and I cant remember the restraints, is it one for both riders or 1 each,
if its one then if a very large person and a very small person went on that would be more dangerous?
a bit like Hex and you get someone of ample girth sharing the bay with you, lots of space under the lap bar :D

Yeah, the girl was local to us, long story short was she'd been diagnosed with a inoperable tumour and it was causing a buildup of fluid putting pressure on her brain, her family took her to Thorpe as a kind of bucket list treat and she went on Nemesis Inferior (her first coaster) the next day she saw her consultant who did another scan and found the fluid had dispersed enough for them to operate, and her consultant said the gforces of the coaster had done it, she's now an ambassador for a brain tumour charity.

Of course there may be another, but this girl is quiet infamous round here. I'm sure if you Google Rollercoaster cures brain tumour you'll find the articles.

Reactions: Tim
As I caused the confusion and I have Wardley's book to hand I thought I'd clear it up. He names the lady as Emma Bassett and is filming for a Tim Usborne documentary, so just to be clear that we are talking about the same person.

I did a quick Google and the results do quote Nemesis Inferno as Ian said.

*Spoiler Alert if you want to read the book*
In Wardley's autobiography he mentions that Tim was insistent on filming in front of Colossus which he though was odd as they were mostly filming Swarm. Emma drops the reveal and says that she told doctors "I'd been to Thorpe park and on the Colossus rollercoaster with my friends and they say that had saved my life". John then offers his reaction.

I've summarised the part in the book as people may want to read this themselves. (Pages 151/152).

It's most likely a day at a theme park rather than a particular ride saved her life. All's well that ends well and let's agree that Colossus is a pneumatic drill simulator :D

only been on X once and I cant remember the restraints, is it one for both riders or 1 each,
if its one then if a very large person and a very small person went on that would be more dangerous?
a bit like Hex and you get someone of ample girth sharing the bay with you, lots of space under the lap bar :D
They are like 13's but the bar goes in between your legs and not ether side.

Because Merlin?
It has nothing to do with Merlin, it’s a manufacture rule and when they say jump the parks say how high.