• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Thanks for clearing that up. I knew the biography said Colossus. I guess it could have been any ride she rode that day. Fascinating story!

Well she was 12 or something at the time and at deaths door, so I think we can forgive her for seemingly giving the UN one story and Wardley another lol (might have been the EU she did a presentation at), I don't think my son remembers the names of half the rides I drag him on either.

Please, next they will be saying that wooden coasters are a cure for piles.

It’s not completely out of the question that a rollercoaster could help shift a level of hydrocephalus, the part of this story that I don’t get (work in a major neuro-centre) is why the surgeons didn’t just insert a shunt in the first place to reduce the fluid build up.

Likely the story isn’t exactly as the media portraid it, as an aside rollercoasters have been proven to be beneficial in preventing kidney stones....

as an aside rollercoasters have been proven to be beneficial in preventing kidney stones....

I need to find the that research. Talk to my urology consultation and see if i can get a PMAP on prescription :D :D

@DiogoJ42 yes they do help pass them. Well it anecdotal base on my own experience.

Is there a replacement for the ghost train yet? And are the river caves still there?

Rumour time! I know this is slightly outdated, but some members over on Thorpe Park Mania have heard some rumours regarding Thorpe in 2018. Here are some of the ones I've seen reported:
  • Loggers will reopen in the coming years, possibly even in 2018.
  • The new for 2018 attraction will be the addition of the Walking Dead mazes as permanent attractions.
  • Slammer will be removed over the off-season.
  • Project 2020 teasers could start next year.
  • Swarm will receive VR.
Personally, I think that the most plausible rumours out of these are the Walking Dead mazes as permanent attractions and Slammer being demolished. I do have about 0.1% of me that has faith in Merlin to reopen Loggers, but I definitely don't think it will be at the start of next year judging by the state it's in. 2018 for Project 2020 teasers to start would be nice so that we get an early announcement, but I do think that this is a tad early for a Merlin project teasing stage as they seem to like their December/January announcements. I will literally cry if Swarm gets VR, because in my opinion, it's the best coaster in the UK and doesn't need it. Galactica was OK because it was a good coaster, but it was hardly an earth-shattering ride to start off with and didn't really have much in the way of theming. VR on Swarm, on the other hand, would render the theming and near-misses completely and utterly pointless. Also, I don't think VR ages particularly well, as I have ridden Galactica twice with VR, once in April 2016 and once in July 2017. In April 2016, everything worked and I actually rather enjoyed it. In July 2017, I had no audio and the graphics looked worse than I remembered. I will not be wearing the headset when I next visit Alton. Anyway, what do you guys think about these Thorpe-related rumours?

Merlin started teasing SW8 at towers from the start of the 2016 season (signs on the fences blocking the flume site) so they might have something up to indicate the next major installation.

The Walking Dead permanent Maze is the most ridiculous thing mentioned, therefore Thorpe will probably do it. Coz their other actor based attractions have done so well, why not add a forth....

Swarm VR has the potential to be cool if they make it like the marketing videos, ya know, the aliens picking y'all up etc.

Loggers is 100000% not reopening.... at Thorpe ;)

Last edited:
Urgh I thought Thorpe would learn from DBGT and Alton's experiment with Air that VR is an already outdated fad that'll take a perfectly good queue eater and turn it into a throughput nightmare, if they're going to retrofit VR onto anything, it should be Colossus since the throughput is already terrible on that.

I'll be crying too if Swarm get's VR, the VR quality on Air is terrible, much worse this year, my FPV headset on my drone produces better quality images.

Never offer Thorpe the chance to make something more dire, they'll be like:

"Here, hold my beer...".

Loggers would need a lot of work based on it's state during fright nights, but the rumour was that the money they were willing to spend on Slammer was about the same as a loggers refurb would cost, and Slammer dying freed up that money. A loggers referb would also cost less than putting a new flume on the site because refurbing the existing ride exempted it from modern H&S closed water system requirements.

They obviously have the rose tinted glasses on when it comes to the TWD mazes since those were the most complained about on Trip Advisor, and we all know how much Thorpe love TA.