• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Re: Thorpe Park

I really am still perplexed with the response to the Swarm. I do wonder how much the rather tepid response is down to the marketing, and how much is down to the ride type. I think the marketing was actually rather good, but most of my 'friends-who-enjoy-theme-parks-but-aren't-enthusiasts' really don't rate Swarm that highly.

Dave said:
Thorpe don't do enthusiasts
I don't know how true that necessarily is - they seem to offer behind the scenes tours for various groups like Coasterforce quite regularly.

Hi guys,

Having just found you, after a sabbatical from enthusiast sites to, well, do some work ;D - I find that crazy stuff has happened, sites have split, forums divorced!

So er yeah, I'm here now, as everyone I recognise seems to be here?

Anyway, on to this farce of a park.

They are clueless on PR, really they are. I've worked with brilliant marketers across the world - and Thorpe have just closed off to the people who are MOST passionate about this subject matter. Why would you do that? Service Industry managers/standard PR companies trying to exercise corporate strategy into what amounts to an escapist and unique market.

Lowest common denominator - problem with this, is they seem to forget, who actually HAS the most disposable income! 1 in 4 young people unemployed. Yup, their target market. Sod the families, create a very targeted marketing campaign and actually freeze out a proportion of other markets in the meantime, when pretty much every other theme park on the planet works on the premise you get ALL kinds of visitors in.

I fall into many markets, enthusiast, young (ish), have a kiddie, like a good rave, but also a nice chilled out day out. Thorpe Park for me, again this year, was an absolute let down.

Perhaps controversially, they have my favourite ride. I ADORE Stealth! I had to give great credit to The Swarm, that was thoroughly enjoyable (whilst, not quite having that extra something that makes it spectacular like Nemmy Blivvy). So I do not say that easily.

You know what is missing from this park now? Energy. Atmosphere. A feeling of the day having a touch of magic about it. When I leave the park, the ride I feel that is missing, is one that hangs you upside down to ensure you don't leave with any loose change in your pockets! (Submission to replace slammer? - problem solved).

Merlin have too much control of this industry now in this Country, backed by Venture Capitalists, and about to be constantly answerable to shareholders in a very difficult market.

The problems in this organisation run deep, and it starts right at the top with Nick Varney - anyone who rants about FREE museums, and VAT, whilst his own company can't even get basic customer service right has a MAJOR issue - ludicrous, AND embarrassing quite frankly! The only reason the service isn't WORSE is, in my opinion, because there are many enthusiasts that WANT to work at these places. Instead of harnessing this energy, and passion - it is leached for profits.

Harsh words? Maybe - but I've been in customer service management, finance, corporate coaching and various other industries (including media/radio) to see past the CAPITAL LETTERS and see the wider issues behind it.

To me? It is GLARINGLY obvious.

Admittedly, these are only my personal opinions - but I have been considering them for a while. It is also a great shame, as I love the park and (most of!) the rides... aside from the obvious and much discussed.

TheMan

Islander said:
Dave said:
Thorpe don't do enthusiasts
I don't know how true that necessarily is - they seem to offer behind the scenes tours for various groups like Coasterforce quite regularly.

I would wonder if that was paid for (I don't know either way).

Thorpe is a pretty good example of how a theme park should not be - no atmosphere, no customer service, no real entertainment, no enthusiasm about their park. Just big rides init.

Regarding The Swarm not "grabbing" the GP... Based on the adverts, pretty much all my non-geek friends thought it was a film.

thefatone said:
Thorpe is a pretty good example of how a theme park should not be...
Evident from the moment you get to the park entrance and are greeted by a group of police guiding some loud, angry yobs out of the park, it's obvious that Thorpe Park isn't a very nice place to be.

Dave said:
Thorpe don't do enthusiasts, Chessington very much do. Towers blows hot and cold. It's odd because nearly every other major park in the world embrace enthusiasts.

In fairness Thorpe have provided free ert and behind the scenes to TPM for both Swarm and Colossus this year alone. I know a few other groups got the same in the first couple of weeks of Swarm opening too.

Everything else negative said about the place is pretty much on the button. The park itself is decent enough, its operations though are shocking. But at the moment I'd say that goes for all of Merlin really.

pluk said:
Everything else negative said about the place is pretty much on the button. The park itself is decent enough, its operations though are shocking. But at the moment I'd say that goes for all of Merlin really.

See, this is where I think caution is required, as I don't think it goes for all of Merlin. I have met many fantastic members of staff at these parks, those there for the passion and to deliver a fantastic day out. Slightly disingenuous of me in some regards, as I believe I know how you mean what you say. It is, more indicative of the organisation - the problem for me, is that I actually think much of Merlin's present, and very obvious issues, actually relate to very FEW individuals within the corporate structure.

I was going to add to my own post last night to clarify my opinion on this further.

There are many staff that should be commended. Particularly those, whom have to take the crap for the utter, well numpties quite frankly, above, whom hide from the limelight and employ others to deal with issues they themselves have created. Once again, this contaminates a structure - and the issues become manifest and self evident.

To me, "Merlin" in comparing themselves to the bigger organisations (with whom, they clearly do NOT compete), is akin to simply using fancy names to describe a good rump steak and chips pub lunch, whilst trying to charge and appear as a 2 Michelin starred restaurant.

Size, and fancy jargon, has taken the place of quality. The wrapping, or "menu" looks good - but isn't all it seems once you take a bigger bite.

Also, I would like to add, that I have read some of your suggestions to deal with some of the issues inherent in the Merlin brand at present. From pricing, to organisation etc, and found them extremely insightful.

Pity they don't take them on board!! But hey, what you do guys know eh? ...

BigAl said:
thefatone said:
Thorpe is a pretty good example of how a theme park should not be...
Evident from the moment you get to the park entrance and are greeted by a group of police guiding some loud, angry yobs out of the park, it's obvious that Thorpe Park isn't a very nice place to be.

What gets me with this, is whom then thought to themselves...

"Great idea, let's market our park so we get EVER MORE of these types visiting, and take away any light hearted or family entertainment - YES. YES. THIS is a plan! IN fact, to save removing them from the park, we'll put hints as to where they can hide, and what indiscretions they can immerse themselves in, in hidden areas of the park!"

That is of course, if you ever get in for the queues at the front, and then to be searched (though given London, the climate, etc - I do understand the search philosophy in place, even before the idiotic marketing).

TheMan

Thorpe Park

a5y6a6y4.jpg

jeju3upu.jpg

*sigh*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely they should offer some sort of discount at the moment? There seems to be a lot of rides that are down right now. How busy is the park at the moment?

Thorpe Park

BigAl said:
Surely they should offer some sort of discount at the moment? There seems to be a lot of rides that are down right now. How busy is the park at the moment?
Not busy at present, however it is raining so I don't know if that has influenced anything as of yet.

There is a lot of rides closed and ready people have commented to staff - its not exactly value for money right now.

Thorpe Park

Stealth is closed.
Colossus is closed.
Samauri is in pieces, closed.
Slammer is closed.

This park is dire.

I am leaving. This is my second visit and it's an absolute p1sstake.

What is this, 2006?

Coasterforce only got 3 minutes ERT on Swarm for free, no other behind the scenes stuff, to my knowledge, the only group to get any behind the scenes stuff for free was TPM, which as the 'official' site is cheating in a way :p

I might go for a Fright Nights Friday, not that I'm particularly enamoured about it mind, only wanna so Swarm at night tbh, the rest doesn't interest me at all...

T said:
Stealth is closed.
Colossus is closed.
Samauri is in pieces, closed.
Slammer is closed.

This park is dire.

I am leaving. This is my second visit and it's an absolute p1sstake.

You do sound like a peep from RCT2. I can only hope that THORPE PARK, get this sorted and sharpish! With so many rides down they need to be giving guests a reason to come back, be it heavily reduced bounceback tickets or discounts on food and drink. When I visited the place seemed like it could close the next day!

It depends on how bad it gets though for the park, only in the most really bad circumstances will the park feel that compensation for all is fair, for example when I went mid Summer and had Swarm, Fish, Rapids, Saw, Stealth, Zodiac all have extended downtime throughout the day... Free tickets (and Fastrack for AP holders that will no doubt not include Swarm when I get it, which will be argued excessively) were given out to all because they knew they had an awful day...

Thing is, the park is covered by the T&Cs in regards to ride breakdowns, so there's not really much they can (or will) do in such circumstances, especially as Slammer is a long term problem and Samurai has been dying for months...

Nice to see that the testing pic of Slammer has amounted to nothing mind...

Thorpe will often compensate with free tickets or extending open hours, just depends how bad it is.

Whilst its not happened at a great time Colossus sounds like its pre planned works, its due to reopen Saturday, it might be due to all the work we've seen on footers / supports in the pit recently?

Stealths not having the best of times, its was closed for a long period, and when i was last there it was "slow launching" where the ride takes alot longer than normal to be ready to launch, i guess there opening it late to work on this problem to make sure its ready for fright nights. There was on twitter of it being on fire, smoke, fire alarms and whole area shut off, not sure what that was about!

Hopefully Slammer and Samurai can be fixed and up soon, i expect slammer will need a fair bit of work and new problems may arise after its not been used for 4/5 months!

It's a pity to see Thorpe Park at the moment. It reminds me of 2008-9-10.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Such sad news to hear. For many years I have wanted to go to Thorpe Park then last Fright Nights I decided to make the 3+ hour trip down there - It wasn't what I was expecting really, I know it is built on a little island and whatnot, but I did not expect it to be that small and you can walk around the place within 15 minutes or so. I thought it would of been a little more spread out.

As someone has already said the place lacks any real atmosphere and with so many ride breakdowns it is a shame. When I went last Fright Nights I had a great time on the first day and a good second day. I decided to go back again this year with the missus for The Swarm and we once again had a good time but if the ride reliability is going down once again like the past few season prior then I doubt I will even bother going again next year as I just cannot justify spending £200+ for two days where I don't know if they will have dire reliability or not. Thank god, that the two trips I have been over the past year have had good reliability the days I have been (last trip, in May had Storm Surge down for one of the days and Colossus was down for about half the day).

Come on Thorpe, sort it out.