• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Re: Thorpe Park

It's supposed to be a billboard isn't it? So I imagine that's just the shell, there's still a lot more to be added to that theming wise.

I don't get why there would be a massive billboard next to a church... They could have put it a bit further away if you ask me :/

Thorpe posted some good photos the other day on their Facebook page, showing some of their engineers during closed season. Not sure I fancy their job!

31890_10151485760280867_1698096281_n.jpg

563302_10151485760100867_91053529_n.jpg

482531_10151485760215867_2044796900_n.jpg

67027_10151485760470867_68608703_n.jpg

533043_10151485761500867_758429016_n.jpg

djtruefitt said:

If you look closely in this photo, you can see some of the rides testing. Like Vortex and Flying Fish.

They're brave though! Couldn't imagine being on the top of Swarm like that :eek:

I'd love to do it! :p

I couldn't work out if the Fish is testing or if they've just stopped the train there so it's less accessible to anyone who might find their way into the park though. On the other hand, I don't think Votex is capable of parking mid-swing like that!

Thorpe Park

djtruefitt said:

If you had never seen a picture of Thorpe before this picture, you would think that it was a well themed park with a couple of decent coasters in a country with nice weather.

Only if it was actually true.

Nick said:
If you had never seen a picture of Thorpe before this picture, you would think that it was a well themed park with a couple of decent coasters in a country with nice weather.

Well Thorpe Park does have decent coasters that are well themed. For instance Stealth, Swarm are at least decent coasters, and Colossus has nice themeing as well as the former Two do. Not to mention Tidal Wave has some of the best themeing in the UK ;)

But we can agree on the weather part at least.

TedTheHuman said:
Nick said:

Well Thorpe Park does have decent coasters that are well themed. For instance Stealth, Swarm are at least decent coasters, and Colossus has nice themeing as well as the former Two do. Not to mention Tidal Wave has some of the best themeing in the UK ;)

But we can agree on the weather part at least.

Indeed it does, but- for me- it's only Saw and Colossus that stand-out, theming wise. Stealth, Nemesis Inferno etc. are really poor and lazy for me. The Swarm is hit and miss really, and it could make the most of some of the possible near misses.

Seeing the beach from the top of The Swarm reminds me how much I wish they'd replace it. Grass, a new ride or even just a nice entrance way, anything would be better. The beach has no place at a Thrill Capital, and unless Merlin are to change track which seems unlikely I'd love to see it go.

It might be a bit garish and past its best, but i'm rather fond of Neptunes Kingdom.

They'd only replace it with another coaster anyway, which would make Thorpe Park unbearably cramped.

Nick said:
djtruefitt said:

Bit harsh IMO, Thorpe is certainly one of if not the best in the UK. Granted, the UK may not offer that much competion for it, but thats another story.

Ash

I have to agree, some areas of Thorpe are really well themed!

My issue has never been their coasters or their theme at all - they can be better of course.

Biggest issue for me is their stupid marketing, and the worsening atmosphere - THORPE is a jewel in the UK theme park crown - just needs polishing up and running properly!

Thorpe Park would be an excellent theme park, but it has been let down in the past 8 years by:

- Lack of maintenance and poor presentation
- Overselling of fastrack
- Poor capacity on rides
- Poor additions on non-major coaster years

:)

The most thematically depressing part of Colossus is the little pit with the mossed over fountain and the loads of bits of themed border lining the top that have either fallen off and just been dumped at the side, or are in the process of falling off.

It's that total lack of maintenance which is just really sad because other than that the music and theming and landscaping are better than the ride itself :p

Six Flags New England have decided to remove Catapult, their S&S Sky Swat, so unless it reopens elsewhere Slammer is now the world's last S&S Sky Swat. :)

I think Colossus is built in better surroundings than Nemesis, it is amazing - but neglected!

Tom said:
I think Colossus is built in better surroundings than Nemesis, it is amazing - but neglected!

I agree, It looked great when it first opened, its just needs a lick of paint & TLC!

Thorpe Park have posted another picture of the billboard on their Twitter page, but it now has more detail:

BEgxRxkCIAEwSNS.jpg:large

Looks pretty good I think! They've also been filming the new TV Advert today

BEglc9HCMAAYLin.jpg

BEgxRxkCIAEwSNS-2_zps0d4aec9d.jpg

Quick tweak. Shame they haven't shown the back end. I think the billboard will be a decent near miss but it's rather unimaginative.

You can just about see one of the back couple of rows in that picture - still facing forwards.

Apparently there will be 1000 backwards seats available in total on AP preview day (source: mania hub forum). It seems possible that, for now at least, only 1 train will feature reversed seats.