• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Re: Thorpe Park

This will provide an effective Raptor style near miss, the likes of which this ride could really have done with more of (along with a longer length).

The billboard itself is perhaps a slightly lazy and out of place choice of theming, but does look pretty good.

:)

From Thorpe's Facebook.

72323_10151500864680867_1786351598_n.jpg

"Epic."

Looks great! I LOVE the touch of "Before time runs..." and then "out" missing!

It looks good. However I though the billboard effect was a bit outdated now. Looks nice nonetheless and can't complain really as it is an additional piece of theming after all!

One little niggle though, I don't see the point of having 'hell' written over 'paradise'. I personally would have preferred 'paradise' left on there on it's own, as the train ripping through the billboard gives that enough of an effect to contradict what the billboard advertises. Much like (pointed out by Sam) the word 'out' cuts off on the right bottom corner of the billboard.

Still, just a little niggle of mine. On the whole it looks great.

They should spray some fake grime on it looks so shiny compared to the rest of the themeing

Interestingly, the 'Paradise Airlines' livery looks very similar to the US Airways tail-fin:

US-airways.jpg

Mean anything, or just a coincidence? :)

The detail into that billboard looks great. Can't wait to see if this near-miss will add to the ride experience, especially going backwards on Sunday :)

CoasterCrazyChris said:
A couple of spotlights along the top would really add to it as well.

:)

They do have spotlights on the planning document, so hopefully these will appear.

In terms of X, there were rumours earlier on in the year that it was getting a retheme and was being made to face forwards, maybe the plan was to rename it X. But as far as im aware the budget for this went, and they just did Swarm.

As far as I'm aware, X will have new trains, which face forwards, and there'll hopefully be a couple of touch ups here and there. There should also be a lower height restriction;1.2m.

Though there are rumours that X will open a couple of weeks late due to issues with the manufacturers..

I really don't understand why X No Way Out is now just called "X", is this the new name or did they not have the space to put "No way out" on it? Speaking of the new map, it looks horrible, all of the rides look out of place which makes the map look very inaccurate. Thorpe had some great looking maps up to 2007, not only did they look nice, but they were easy to navigate.

For instance, take a look of the map from 2001:

pastmap2001.jpg

I think it looks lovely and nicely detailed

For a comparison, here's the map from 2006:

normal_2006_thorpe_park_map.jpg

I'm probably in the minority here, but I do love the Computer generated maps used from 2002 to 2007, not just for Thorpe, but also for Alton and Chessie as well.

I think the new design map with the head mascot looks horrible, it's been five years now so I hope for a new design in 2014!

Anyway, I love the billboard on the Swarm, the advertisement for Paradise Airlines looks very cool! Still curious as to what the other side looks like.

Thorpe Park

^ I also liked those maps Ted. I hate the current maps, too cluttered and not that appealing visually. I'm surprised you can actually find where you are going using the current map design (thankfully I know Thorpe very well :p)

I really hope they redesign the map for next year. As for the rename of X? Is that the official new name now? Interesting choice if it is.

The current map and the one for the past few years are pretty crap, they dont show the park correctly at all. And this really shows if you look at the past few maps, they are all basicly the same, but rides/shops/foodouts have all moved around slightly to fit different bits in or different names. Which shows its a pretty crap map to get around, if one year to the next things have moved around.

Lets hope Towers get a new map this year with the Smiler coming, and Thorpe get a good rebrand next year or the year after. I also prefer maps with the ride logos on them more than generic text.

In terms of X, I suppose we will know when the park opens, the website still has its original name.

Seems like the name change of X is not happening - it would surely have been announced by now. But the rumours of additions/changes inside remain.

Lets face it, they can't make it any worse....

There really is that many mistakes in my posts?! Damn this Tapatalk milarky! :)

Thorpe Park

^ Me, Rob, Saz, Russell, Dave and James got our tickets. They have now sold out in the space of 40 minutes! Let's hope the backwards riding lives up to the hype :)

^ Yes, for 3 members that are with me on Sunday.

I feel stupid ordering my one last, just after Thorpe sold out... :S

Oh well, Swarm going forwards it is!

I got mine...

Though I don't plan to instantly exchange my ticket at the Dome Fastrack desk upon entry with the 999 other enthusiasts who clearly weren't busy at work/school this morning (like myself :p)...

What's this about backwards swarm tickets?

Obviously im aware of the reversed back row for this year, but do you need a specific ticket for this?

Few of us going down on Thursday so if anyone could let me know!

Tickets are only for the AP day on Sunday...

As for Thursday, expect to queue... That's about it really (especially if the rumours about only 1 train having backwards rows is right)...