• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Re: Thorpe Park

Surely they cannot reverse only one train... the queue would be astronomical. Unless they start doing a paid fastrack style system like with The Passing at FN.

If they've only reversed one train they will have managed to make a stupid idea even stupider...

I really, REALLY hope Thorpe haven't been stupid enough to only reverse the back end of one train, especially with the way they've been promoting it... Logistical nightmare will increase two-fold...

I'm not complaining. Tempted to make a trip there if it means I get to ride it how it was meant to be one last time.

I can't believe I just wrote that about a brand new ride :S

That billboard looks awesome! Merlin are really putting effort into detailed theming at the moment, rather than sticking up any old rubbish.

Is Paradise Airlines the corporate travel provider for the Ministry of Joy...? :)

Indeed - only 1,000 seats available for the Annual Pass Preview Day! I think everyone who prebooked tickets got the email re: booking the slots? I certainly did :).

The billboard looks like a very close near-miss, and I'm looking forward to riding with this unforeseen addition.

Thinking I might feel slightly sick on a backwards ride? :-/

I don't understand why it's a billboard but it doesn't offend me. It just seems kinda out of place, I like the imagery used though so swings and roundabouts.

Why is it a billboard?!

I suppose its an easy object to create that the ride can go straight through. It will also be cheap, compared to building a house or some large object.

Overall the ride could have done with more objects like this for you to go through or pass, rather than things on either side of the track.

The billboard looks fine and it will definitely provide a true near miss. However it is just a billboard, not the most imaginative or creative piece of theming. Though I guess I shouldn't really complain, Merlin adding theming to a ride the year after it opened is almost unheard of!!

:)

Merlin adding theming to rides already opened seems to be a further trend.

Hopefully we'll never see another Air "bugger, ran out of budget, sod it" approach again.

A better photo of the new billboard was just posted on Thorpe's Twitter page:

BEmBP0-CIAMtn1m.jpg

I have to say I think it looks rather good! ;D

I have to agree (That it looks excellent), it might be cheap, and cheerful, but its going to be a extra head chopper, and something nice for the people on the back row to look at once they go past.

Ian

Considering that's all they're getting for this year, I should hope it's a bloody good piece of theming! :p

Not sure about the advert wording (sounds too much like it was written just so they could put 'HELL' over 'Paradise') and the hole through the board looks a little too neat for my liking.

Also, are they going to paint the tail of the crashed plane so it looks like the tail featured on the billboard logo? Nitpicking I know, but... consistency! :p

BigAl said:
Not sure about the advert wording (sounds too much like it was written just so they could put 'HELL' over 'Paradise') and the hole through the board looks a little too neat for my liking.

That's a good point. Are they trying to let people know in advance what the park is like if you visit on a busy day when fastracks have been ridiculously over sold? Hell, not paradise!! ;)

Interestingly it seems the general opinion about the new feature is positive. Now I really don't want to moan, but this is some of the least interesting theming I have ever seen. It is as dull and unimaginative as a billboard can ever be...

So this is supposed to be a theme park, where people come to escape mundane stuff like advertising, but Thorpe Park have done such an unimpressive job that even a real advert would look more interesting than this (no exaggeration). Now I knew they would attempt some kind of irony with the graffiti, but they have just gone for the most obvious joke ever: "Welcome to Hell". Anybody could have thought that up and it isn't amusing for me.

On the whole, it possesses no visual character or thematic personality. A big factor for a near-miss to be effective is the visual impact as you fly towards it; this is just a flat object with a hole in it. It will provide a brief moment of 'danger' but nothing special.

At least it won't undermine my enjoyment of the area, but it's completely forgettable anyway.

On a different note, Thorpe Park have now released their 2013 map and there are some interesting changes. Notably X:\\No Way Out is now simply "X", and Saw Alive has died.

Funny how people usually slate Six Flags for this kind of thing...

img_0244_4.jpg

:p

Themeparkmania said:
2013 Map released, not much different from last year really apart from Crash Pad.

Another change (albeit minor..)

It seems that X:\No Way Out was too longwinded for the clientele, so now it's simply X? :p

I few things I notice that have changed, SAW Alive seems to have drifted off and the arena seems alot more clear than in the past, does this mean they have more things planned for it?

Haha, after only a few years Saw Alive is now no longer on the map? Is it only appearing for Fright Nights now or are they pretending it doesn't exist? :p

Also it looks like the Arena is for a concert/s as there's a band on the stage and "ARE YOU READY FOR THIS" is written above a crowd dancing.