• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

I find a close correlation between those that rate Swarm poorly and those that haven't ridden it since the first couple of years ot was open. It has improved with age more than any other coaster in the UK I can think of. When it opened it was lumbering and had weird pacing, now it is completely different.
I don't understand the physics of that - is it really that different or is it just a perception thing ?

A lot of rides have a honeymoon period where they are perhaps overrated in their earliest days and then things settle down later, it feels like Swarm went the other way whereby when it opened it really didn't hit the mark in terms of people's expectations but over the years, on reflection people have decided it's a solid ride.

The same seems to apply to Inferno.

Just curious, what exactly is it about Swarm that people find dull or feel that it’s lacking?

For me it’s second only in the UK to Nemesis. It’s got great theming (including a real helicopter), a beautifully taken dive drop, the best near miss and keyhole elements in the country with the plane wing and the billboard, an incredibly forceful helix and a nice zero-g roll over the station to wrap things up.

I think it’s quite a misunderstood coaster in that elements such the first drop are designed to be taken slowly to give a sensation of swooping like a graceful bird of prey hunting. It’s not meant to go screaming round the track like Nemesis does and I wonder if it’s that gliding feel that makes people think that it’s dull?
For me I think it was the bounciness. I was on an outside seat and it wasn't enjoyable. If I'd sat on the inside I almost certainly would have enjoyed it more.

Now, call me controversial but after riding Mandrill Mayhem last weekend I do think I prefer that. More unique, smoother and more enjoyable. Plus the launch is actually quite punchy.

I'm one of Thorpe's biggest critics, grew up with the place so its frustrating to see how much its gone downhill.

*but*...

It actually seems to be getting much better lately? Can't really say for sure as I've not been for a few years but it looks like it's being polished up nicely in preparation for Exodus.

Willing to embrace it with a positive attitude next season. I drive past it nearly every day and if Exodus is any good I'll be getting an annual pass.

I’ve got my first visit to Thorpe in over 15 years this weekend. Daughters school trip got cancelled so im taking her and her friend instead. We do towers a couple of times a year so Thorpe park is a bit out of my comfort zone.

Any tips on how to get the most out of our day?

I think I've decided from today that Thorpe have the better coaster lineup but towers is the better park. From the 4 main coasters I did I don't think thorpe have a weak coaster. Majority of towers coasters are ok at best imo but all the thorpe coasters are solid. I also prefer the vibe and atmosphere of thorpe

I’ve got my first visit to Thorpe in over 15 years this weekend. Daughters school trip got cancelled so im taking her and her friend instead. We do towers a couple of times a year so Thorpe park is a bit out of my comfort zone.

It is small enough to not need a strict plan or route.
Wander around and find a nice short queue, everything is a few minutes away from everything else.

We’ve done Thorpe 3 times so far this year. Our top tips: Arrive as early as you can (9ish) to get through security before the masses arrive. You’ll be allowed on site to get to a gate either by Rush or near Amity Beach. Rush side is closest to Saw. Most of the teens will run to get to Saw first - decide if you can be bothered with running/ being shoved or head the other way over to Swarm. Do Saw, Inferno, Stealth then Swarm or the reverse in order to tick off the big 4 then fill in with whatever else you fancy. Queues tend to die down again after 4ish so that’s a good time to head back to Saw/Swarm. Food wise, last call cafe next to ghost train tends to be quiet and the tea is warm and wet. Lunch time we went to the hot dog place - wilderness something - by black mirror and that was hot and fairly tasty, expensive but everything is. Avoid VIBES as the food is disgraceful. Avoid Angry Birds 4D unless it’s raining - total waste is time. Everything else we did was fun. Hope that helps!

I don't understand the physics of that - is it really that different or is it just a perception thing ?

I really couldn't say for certain but I know I initially found it practically forceless and now I don't, with the station flyover and helix being the most notable. I don't know that they've done anything to actually effect any such change, I'm thinking wheel compounds and the like, or whether it has just worn in in some way, but as I am talking about how I feel the forces rather than just how much I enjoy it I'm pretty sure the change is a real physical one and not in the mind.

The Swarm has the same problem that I fear this new coaster will have in that it's good, there just isn't much of it.

My first ride on Swarm, right from the off with the excellent dive drop, I was smiling from ear to ear. Then it inlined over the station and abruptly wrapped things up. I've never ever found it dull or boring, just about 10 seconds and an element or 2 too short.

I really couldn't say for certain but I know I initially found it practically forceless and now I don't, with the station flyover and helix being the most notable. I don't know that they've done anything to actually effect any such change, I'm thinking wheel compounds and the like, or whether it has just worn in in some way, but as I am talking about how I feel the forces rather than just how much I enjoy it I'm pretty sure the change is a real physical one and not in the mind.

I can also attest to this. Visited the year it opened, then again last year. It’s gone from being slow and lumbering (but an enjoyable first drop), to being quite forceful and well paced, the zero g roll in particular caught me off guard.

I can also attest to this. Visited the year it opened, then again last year. It’s gone from being slow and lumbering (but an enjoyable first drop), to being quite forceful and well paced, the zero g roll in particular caught me off guard.

Who knows. It doesn't feel any different to me ... but I have always liked it. I just watched two POVs, one from 11 years ago, one from 11 months ago and the timecodes line up exactly.

Also great to see some love for saw the ride, I had 6 or 7 rides on it last week, all on the front row I will say I really feel my brain rattling on the outside seats, 0 head bashing but my head goes well over the restraints anyway.
Inside seats fairly more bearable.

The theme I really appreciate and it's one of the few rides where the theme still pleases me with Merlin's long term upkeep as in it hasn't rotted completely but it's half run down but really fits in still, love the horror theme.

The indoor part is spectacular, wish the smiler had a bit more inspiration from saw in that aspect although I still enjoy the smilers indoor part from what's there.

The first drop I'm starting to like it more and more I find that part fairly smooth but really quite forceful I'm starting to think it's the best drop on a coaster in the UK (probably until exodus) however I'll put it second place to oblivion's drop + the spinning blades head choppers are great and working which they weren't on my last couple of visits.

I kinda wish the mid course trim brake worked as everything after that is a bit of a killer but the fact it just flies through the mid course brake run kinda adds to the demented out of control feel to this coaster.

The big airtime hill is also pretty amazing better than both of smilers although it doesn't feel like normal airtime like it's kind of inbetween floater and ejector but you pull some great negative g-force regardless.

Regardless after last week I rate this much higher than before, probably also helped I was with a very big fan of the ride last week so we rode it quite a lot as it's his favorite and one of mine now too.

Am I completely imagining this, Mandela effect style or did SAW have red water dripping/spraying from somewhere during early days? I know there's an effect inside with plain water, but for some reason I remember people complaining their clothes got stained? I can't find anything about it anywhere and it's really bugging me... it's highly likely I have finally gone insane 😂

I've never heard of red water coming from the dead body but it's funny when it's timed perfectly and goes straight onto my forehead.

Saw is absolutely vile, the ride itself and layout is good but the jolt at the bottom of the drop outside nearly snapped by neck into a thousand pieces. It’s far too rough to be enjoyable I am afraid. I’m sure it was excellent when new. They are absolute junk and made out of tin cans. I found Infusion and Hero smoother.