• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

I'm not entirely sure, but TT had an event at Thorpe today which included some sort of "first access" to Derren Brown's Ghost Train, which is possibly the reason for the late opening...

Thorpe announced prior to the start of the season that their actor-based attractions (i.e. DBGT, as well as I'm a Celeb, SAW Alive, and Living Nightmare during the periods they're available) would open from 12pm every day, so DBGT's late opening was unrelated to that event.

DBGT becomes as reliable as a chocolate fire guard whenever the temps go over 20 degrees, best time to try and get on is in the evening on one of the night events, don't even bother waiting during the day, it's not worth the wait.

Thorpe getting a hammering on Twitter at the moment...

Pretty shocking about the staff member on Inferno.

In my experience Thorpe have always been good with this kind of thing, but it only takes one person to let them down

Thorpe getting a hammering on Twitter at the moment...

Pretty shocking about the staff member on Inferno.

In my experience Thorpe have always been good with this kind of thing, but it only takes one person to let them down

There’s always two sides to a story. It’s probably a case of on Inferno the host got confused over the wristband, doesn’t inferno now have two disabled queue points? Ironically both up steps but the Red wristbands use the exit and others use the fastrack queue?

Not good either way though.

Having 'two' queues though just causes confusion no? Plus having it merge with Fastrack is a pretty much foolish idea given Thorpe's affinity with over-selling it...

Let alone whether the disabled lift even works these days...

Think if someone turned around to me and said "you're not disabled enough" they'd have been finding themselves face first in CCR's old tracks...

There’s always two sides to a story. It’s probably a case of on Inferno the host got confused over the wristband, doesn’t inferno now have two disabled queue points? Ironically both up steps but the Red wristbands use the exit and others use the fastrack queue?

Not good either way though.

There are far better ways of handling the situation than saying "I'm not letting you on because he is not disabled enough", then refusing to get a supervisor and giving what was probably a fake name.

A simple, I'm sorry mate but you've come to the wrong disabled entrance, you should have gone to the fast track one because he can walk, this one is, yeah, for wheelchair users, I'll let you on this time, but next time go to fast track, thanks" would have surficed.

Unfortunately, common sense is not something that can be taught, as for the staff member, I think I know who they are talking about, he should be sacked as this isn't the first time I've heard of him giving people lip. Merlin are generally fantastic when it comes to disabled guests, unfortunately a single staff member can ruin that, like what happened to us at Alton last year and this lad here.

There are far better ways of handling the situation than saying "I'm not letting you on because he is not disabled enough", then refusing to get a supervisor and giving what was probably a fake name.

A simple, I'm sorry mate but you've come to the wrong disabled entrance, you should have gone to the fast track one because he can walk, this one is, yeah, for wheelchair users, I'll let you on this time, but next time go to fast track, thanks" would have surficed.

Unfortunately, common sense is not something that can be taught, as for the staff member, I think I know who they are talking about, he should be sacked as this isn't the first time I've heard of him giving people lip. Merlin are generally fantastic when it comes to disabled guests, unfortunately a single staff member can ruin that, like what happened to us at Alton last year and this lad here.
Completely agree with you and I wasn’t justifying what was alleged to have been said, it’s absolutely unacceptable.

Yeah @ringo there's always two sides and I can imagine the guy was already pissed off and short tempered having been screwed around already at the entrance plaza, but Thorpe's staff can be extremely frustrating, sometimes in GS you literally have to jump in front of staff to get them to notice you since they are usually too busy chatting to notice the queue is out the door.

I guess this is what you get when you employ school leavers and college hangouts on summer jobs, they just don't give a shit at that age, nobody does, I remember what a wanker I was when I was 17, and peoples attitudes have only got worse since then.

Harsh to tarnish everyone with that brush, 10 years ago I was one of those sorts at Chessie (with many others) and we all certainly gave a damn about doing our job... One idiot does not the whole bunch make (though with Thorpe it is harder to tell)...

Perhaps the issue is that the parks re-hiring policy tends to lose out on anyone good because it's not a viable long-term job whatsoever unless you end up in the office staff, in which case you lose any good that staff member had on the shop floor... Plus of course good staff quality tends to come with good actual training, rather than seemingly focusing on chatting to guests about how their day has been over actually loading/dispatching...

It does always strike me when going abroad that a lot of parks have a much older average age of staff, so it's got to be something to do with the UK culture... Hell working at Dollywood seemed to be the only thing anyone over the age of 60 were doing in that region...

Yeah @ringo there's always two sides and I can imagine the guy was already ****ed off and short tempered having been screwed around already at the entrance plaza, but Thorpe's staff can be extremely frustrating, sometimes in GS you literally have to jump in front of staff to get them to notice you since they are usually too busy chatting to notice the queue is out the door.

I guess this is what you get when you employ school leavers and college hangouts on summer jobs, they just don't give a **** at that age, nobody does, I remember what a ****er I was when I was 17, and peoples attitudes have only got worse since then.
I'm sorry but that's not fair, I'm sure many young people (including me) are passionate about their work and work much harder than some of the older (and better paid) staff.

Sorry I don't have much to add to the discussion otherwise, but I wanted to call this out since it's not fair to comment on young staff based on one person.

EDIT: I don't know about anyone else here but personally I'd love to work at a theme park for a year or two.

Last edited:
EDIT: I don't know about anyone else here but personally I'd love to work at a theme park for a year or two.

As someone who did for 3 years, you're better off outside in the long run... It utterly RUINS trips to other parks (especially when they turn into poorly run and badly staffed ones)...