• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

I'll take any reviews from last nights press result with a massive pinch of salt. I remember all of the first time reviews from DBGT after its press night, and they were largely very positive. We all know how that ended!

I do like the queue line posters though.

Based on the reviews and descriptions it sounds like they have put in a more imaginative story and probably done the best they can with the set-up that existed.

It still seems to be very actor heavy which is always a risk when it comes to future operational budget cuts.
After riding it last night and sleeping on it. I don’t think actor cuts are possible.

the actors on your train stay with you throughout the whole journey.

So there’s 2 main actors then 2 in scene two that could be reduced to 1 (we had 1 on our first run through last night then 2 more on the train that are hidden until the final scene

After riding it last night and sleeping on it. I don’t think actor cuts are possible.

the actors on your train stay with you throughout the whole journey.

So there’s 2 main actors then 2 in scene two that could be reduced to 1 (we had 1 on our first run through last night then 2 more on the train that are hidden until the final scene
Actor cuts might not be possible, but either reducing operating hours/days of the ride or closing it completely (again) are always risks with an actor led experience such as this. Let's see, hopefully they are not forced to take any such measures in the years ahead.

A baseline needs to be set in terms of actors to allow an experience to run. A set cost as such to permit running.

the ride system always had issues back in the day. It wasnt just the VR headsets that caused issues like everyone thinks.

The hot weather might not be helping..
I might be missing something obvious here, but why would an indoor ride be affected by hot weather? Don’t dark rides and indoor coasters often have air conditioning or climate control to regulate the temperature?

Depends on the individual building specification, but also how powerful the HVAC system installed is (if there is one). Heavy machinery on some rides can belt out a fair bit of heat, so you need some beefy systems to try and counter that.

Also, remember that running HVAC systems is hideously expensive. Just because it’s there doesn’t necessarily mean it’s being used/working to its full capacity. Not uncommon to see places limiting its use, especially when the energy market is under pressure.

Quick report whilst I'm at the park. Operations are fantastic today so far! Had a couple of goes on Stealth! Hopefully I'll have time to ride swarm today.

Colossus' old music is back, even the old announcements!! The ride is running great today, only one notable headbang at the cobra roll, but quite smooth all round!! The new track piece is glass smooth, makes a huge difference compared to the old track that was there!

Last edited:
Had a great day at Thorpe today. Operations were really good across all the rides and so much better than my last visit. Was good to see Colossus back open and it was riding pretty well too :)

Ghost Train didn’t end up opening until after 2pm which meant it was only open for about 3 hours before the park closed at 5, but luckily we still managed to ride it with about an hour wait getting in the queue just before ride close.
The first train was very underwhelming in all honesty and there was pretty much nothing going on except the dialogue between the "train attendant" actors. The second train was a lot better - some hooded actors appeared on the train which made for a good scare and there were some great UV effects.

Also the fake shop ending is back, but the scare came from just a normal worker in a Thorpe Park uniform which was far from scary. Not sure if they were short on actors or if that was intentional, but it was pretty anti-climatic!

My brief spoiler free thoughts are that it was much better than the state DGBT was in when I rode that last year but far from “amazing” like I've seen some people saying. Much more of a show than a ride, very actor-led and benefits from a better told storyline than DGBT had. All the actors were doing the best they could and there were some impressive effects but I don't think it's something that I'd want to queue a long time for to do again, personally.