• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Do we actually know why saw is down, when i was there about a week and a half ago (the first day it didn’t open) there were people on a crane with spanner doing what looks like tightening bolts on track intersections and on the supports.

Colossus was up and down a lot too, was going to attempt a ride near the front as I’ve only ever ridden it near the back but decided it wasn’t being consistent enough to warrant an hour wait. At one point in the morning The Swarm was showing as closed on the app for ages but was actually open as I saw people riding it.

Although ride availability hasn’t been the best and beginning of the day was a bit of a shambles we ended up having a decent day in the end, we got quite lucky in that the ride breakdowns didn’t directly affect us as in we weren’t in the queue when any of them broke down.

We started off on Nemesis Inferno which opened on one train which wasn’t a great start, luckily we were near the front of that queue as we headed straight there after finding out The Swarm would be closed so only waited about 20 once the gate finally opened at about quarter to 11. They did add the second train back on later in the day so they must have fixed what ever issue it was having.

We saw Rumba Rapids had a 5 minute queue so as we hadn’t ridden these rapids before we gave them a go. Safe to say calling it a rapids ride is very generous and I was glad we didn’t wait longer for such a disappointment. It’s more lazy river like than CRR at towers is, in fact I’d say CRR is far superior to Rumba. Didn’t get wet but did get a nasty bruise from the boat smashing hard into a wooden bollard thing. Such a pointless ride that looks very tired and needs ripping out like the one at legoland imo.

Next up was Stealth which had a 45 minute queue, it was running 2 trains though and the fast track queue was pretty much empty probably because they all decided to go on it first thing as it was the only coaster open at opening, so the queue moved pretty well - operations were decent.

Instead of just focusing on the coasters we wanted to do a few things we hadn’t done before at the park so we did Ghost Train for the first time, we’d not done the Derren Brown version so had no idea what to expect. Waited over an hour due to an influx of fast trackers slowing the queue down near the end. A teenage lad was messing around with his water bottle behind me and managed to splash some of his water over me and a couple of others in the queue, nothing too bad but I got more wet from that than I did on the rapids🤣

I had very low expectations but this ride/experience actually pleasantly surprised me. The actors were doing a brilliant job on my run through and played their characters very well. If it weren’t for them then the whole thing would have been very lacking. Not sure if I’d wait an hour for it again but it wasn’t as bad as I was expecting and it was a unique experience that I do think adds to the park. Sadly a couple of the retro posters in the queue had been ripped to shreds. This is why we can’t have nice things.

Did Rush for the first time and despite running a bit of a short cycle it looked like it was running quite well. I seem to remember when watching it on my last visit last season, the arms weren’t getting much height and it looked like it was struggling, but today it seemed they were both getting some decent height on them. I really love these rides, they’re so much fun.

Detonator was next. Waited a fair bit of time for it but the ride host apologised for the wait which I thought was nice of him. Guy behind us in the queue was whistling the whole time which imo should be illegal in queues, so annoying. Decent drop tower though.

Finished the day on The Swarm, advertised wait of 60 but we waited 40. Sat at the back, fun ride as always, saw some Exodus supports in the field next to it.

Wanted to try out the single rider queue for Saw but sadly it’s still closed. I couldn’t see the train for Flying Fish so I’m guessing that won’t be open for a while either. Tidal Wave was shut for the majority of the day too. Got a massive queue when it did open.

Lots of areas of the park look dreadful, the entrance archway for Stealth is a right mess.

Last edited:
It’s a bit disappointing to hear that Flying Fish is down, I’m taking my son next week for his first visit and this was one of the few rides that he’s looking forward to (as he’s not always so confident on big coasters and thrill rides).

I always think that it’s such a pity that X:\ No Way Out was rethemed in to The Walking Dead as it was a fun family coaster that served a purpose In the park as it was a nice attraction for guests that wanted a little bit of a thrill but nothing too intense and for families with mixed age groups that’s a very welcome thing. Obviously I know that there’s a very valid argument that Thorpe is the thrill park and Chessie down the road is the family park but I feel that X is sadly missed and that a lot of people wouldn’t be opposed to the park giving it another retheme to a nice modern take on its original theme.

Colossus was up and down a lot too, was going to attempt a ride near the front as I’ve only ever ridden it near the back but decided it wasn’t being consistent enough to warrant an hour wait. At one point in the morning The Swarm was showing as closed on the app for ages but was actually open as I saw people riding it.

Although ride availability hasn’t been the best and beginning of the day was a bit of a shambles we ended up having a decent day in the end, we got quite lucky in that the ride breakdowns didn’t directly affect us as in we weren’t in the queue when any of them broke down.

We started off on Nemesis Inferno which opened on one train which wasn’t a great start, luckily we were near the front of that queue as we headed straight there after finding out The Swarm would be closed so only waited about 20 once the gate finally opened at about quarter to 11. They did add the second train back on later in the day so they must have fixed what ever issue it was having.

We saw Rumba Rapids had a 5 minute queue so as we hadn’t ridden these rapids before we gave them a go. Safe to say calling it a rapids ride is very generous and I was glad we didn’t wait longer for such a disappointment. It’s more lazy river like than CRR at towers is, in fact I’d say CRR is far superior to Rumba. Didn’t get wet but did get a nasty bruise from the boat smashing hard into a wooden bollard thing. Such a pointless ride that looks very tired and needs ripping out like the one at legoland imo.

Next up was Stealth which had a 45 minute queue, it was running 2 trains though and the fast track queue was pretty much empty probably because they all decided to go on it first thing as it was the only coaster open at opening, so the queue moved pretty well - operations were decent.

Instead of just focusing on the coasters we wanted to do a few things we hadn’t done before at the park so we did Ghost Train for the first time, we’d not done the Derren Brown version so had no idea what to expect. Waited over an hour due to an influx of fast trackers slowing the queue down near the end. A teenage lad was messing around with his water bottle behind me and managed to splash some of his water over me and a couple of others in the queue, nothing too bad but I got more wet from that than I did on the rapids🤣

I had very low expectations but this ride/experience actually pleasantly surprised me. The actors were doing a brilliant job on my run through and played their characters very well. If it weren’t for them then the whole thing would have been very lacking. Not sure if I’d wait an hour for it again but it wasn’t as bad as I was expecting and it was a unique experience that I do think adds to the park. Sadly a couple of the retro posters in the queue had been ripped to shreds. This is why we can’t have nice things.

Did Rush for the first time and despite running a bit of a short cycle it looked like it was running quite well. I seem to remember when watching it on my last visit last season, the arms weren’t getting much height and it looked like it was struggling, but today it seemed they were both getting some decent height on them. I really love these rides, they’re so much fun.

Detonator was next. Waited a fair bit of time for it but the ride host apologised for the wait which I thought was nice of him. Guy behind us in the queue was whistling the whole time which imo should be illegal in queues, so annoying. Decent drop tower though.

Finished the day on The Swarm, advertised wait of 60 but we waited 40. Sat at the back, fun ride as always, saw some Exodus supports in the field next to it.

Wanted to try out the single rider queue for Saw but sadly it’s still closed. I couldn’t see the train for Flying Fish so I’m guessing that won’t be open for a while either. Tidal Wave was shut for the majority of the day too. Got a massive queue when it did open.

Lots of areas of the park look dreadful, the entrance archway for Stealth is a right mess.
As of today, the train for Flying Fish is parked on the track just behind the station.

As of today, the train for Flying Fish is parked on the track just behind the station.
Ahh I must have missed it, I did only have a passing glance as I walking past to get to The Swarm in fairness!
It’s a bit disappointing to hear that Flying Fish is down, I’m taking my son next week for his first visit and this was one of the few rides that he’s looking forward to (as he’s not always so confident on big coasters and thrill rides).

I always think that it’s such a pity that X:\ No Way Out was rethemed in to The Walking Dead as it was a fun family coaster that served a purpose In the park as it was a nice attraction for guests that wanted a little bit of a thrill but nothing too intense and for families with mixed age groups that’s a very welcome thing. Obviously I know that there’s a very valid argument that Thorpe is the thrill park and Chessie down the road is the family park but I feel that X is sadly missed and that a lot of people wouldn’t be opposed to the park giving it another retheme to a nice modern take on its original theme.
I agree. Although Thorpe is primarily a thrill park that doesn’t necessarily mean there isn’t room for rides and attractions that are on the less thrilling side, it’s about balance really isn’t it. After all there are families who take their older children to Thorpe for the big rides, but also have younger children with them too who would like things to do during their visit. They did recently build a small playground for under 12’s, they also have the beach area, so it doesn’t seem like Thorpe are totally against the idea of having those ‘something for everyone’ types of attractions at all.

Ghost Train is poor. The first preshow was fine, the second pointless. The first bit of ride was fine, the second bit relying on the same jump scares over and over was a bit pointless. The bit between the ride sections was terrible. What's with the cheesy beat disco breakdown in what's meant to be a serious scene?