• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

I can't believe you're about to make me defend The Sun but... Independent editorial is absolutely paramount in any media outlet. No journalist, or reporter, should ever be told that they can't report on something because it might upset an advertiser or jeopardise a financial interest. News reporting should not be beholden to the commercial interests of advertising partners.

Merlin and The Sun may have a commercial partnership with the voucher deal, but that doesn't and shouldn't give Merlin a free pass, or prevent them from being under scrutiny.
It used to give them a free pass, is a notable difference now. Not sure even half the Smiler stuff was reported.

While I'm sure there's an extensive discussion to be had about why newspaper choose to or choose not to hammer a particular story, it's not really a discussion that's related to Thorpe Park anymore - especially when we're moving into Smiler incident territory. If we could stick to the topic of Thorpe Park as previously requested it'd be much appreciated :).

If people feel like they'd like to debate the subject of newspapers in more detail, please feel free to create a topic in Corner Coffee.

Anyone have any theories or insight into why the season appears to start on a Sunday for Thorpe this year?

It seems odd to not open on the Saturday since that is often the busiest day of the week. I thought it might have been reserved for a Blue Light buyout day, but that appears to be the weekend before.

Very unsurprising that Angry Birds land is just getting the Walliams World treatment. To be honest, I was surprised when the announcement of this Big Easy whatever it is area got so much praise? It looked obvious to me from the concept that they were just going to remove anything to do with the old IP and slap bright primary colours on everything else. That's pretty much all the concept art told us unless I missed something?

The existing “architecture” of those buildings do work with the new theme to be fair. They’re nice buildings and are part of the original park so would be a shame to remove them, as you just know the replacement wouldn’t be as good. Don’t really mind the bright colours, rather that than black everywhere like somewhere else!

Saturday reserved for invited 'influencers and VIPs' if Hyperia were to be ready.

Not sure if this is just a theory or if you are sharing some knowledge you have?

But if the latter, does the fact they haven’t replaced this date with a regular operating day by this point mean they haven’t ruled out the possibility of having Hyperia ready for March? Would be a very tight deadline by now I would have thought.

Not sure if this is just a theory or if you are sharing some knowledge you have?

But if the latter, does the fact they haven’t replaced this date with a regular operating day by this point mean they haven’t ruled out the possibility of having Hyperia ready for March? Would be a very tight deadline by now I would have thought.

Hyperia won't be opening in March. Doesn't it need a certain amount of hours/days of testing & electrical installation beforehand (the exact number escapes me), so that even if the track was finished today (its not and still another couple of weeks), it still wouldn't make the end of March.

It'll be middle-end of May I reckon.

Of course, I'd like to be surprised.

Hyperia won't be opening in March. Doesn't it need a certain amount of hours/days of testing & electrical installation beforehand (the exact number escapes me), so that even if the track was finished today (its not and still another couple of weeks), it still wouldn't make the end of March.

It'll be middle-end of May I reckon.

Of course, I'd like to be surprised.
I expect that these last few bits will go up quite quickly and they will complete the testing needed for our safety!

Other than the lift hill mechnisim/ sensors its possible that individual circuit testing to other areas of the ride may already be taking place ….. but yes ultimately i cant see this being open before may…

I imagine there'd be a few annoyed people if it's not ready for opening day, considering on the Hyperia page there's a 'Book Now' button that takes you to a booking page for the 24th of March, and no small print stating that it's not actually going to be ready for opening day.
1706635333302.png
Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I'm sure there's people who aren't keeping up to date with the construction and have just gone to this page and clicked Book Now because they like the look of the ride.

Last edited:
FB_IMG_1706900984183.jpgThat's not as bad as I thought it was going to look, pretty snazzy that.
Is it me, but does anyone get a steampunk vibe from that? Can't help but think it reminds of the star pattern design on the Columbiad cannon on Space Mountain at DLP...does look nice all the same.