• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Re: Thorpe Park

Really, what evidence is there that Thorpe Park have turned into a family park? Removing some mascots from their website and writing proper sentences on their social media pages doesn't mean they are going to stop building major rollercoasters or anything.

Families come to Thorpe Park anyway, they always have, and they love the thrill rides just as much as anybody. Also, Thorpe Park is too well-known amongst teenagers/young adults to suddenly lose that audience. Surely this is just a slight expansion of their marketing appeal, nothing too significant?

Thorpe Park

electricBlll said:
Really, what evidence is there that Thorpe Park have turned into a family park? Removing some mascots from their website and writing proper sentences on their social media pages doesn't mean they are going to stop building major rollercoasters or anything.

Families come to Thorpe Park anyway, they always have, and they love the thrill rides just as much as anybody. Also, Thorpe Park is too well-known amongst teenagers/young adults to suddenly lose that audience. Surely this is just a slight expansion of their marketing appeal, nothing too significant?
There's bigger changes in the pipeline than the changes in Fatheads.

While Thorpe Park are slightly reaching out to families, the reality is this brand change is merely a change of the times, with teenage interests in music, fashion and media changing. Teenagers are becoming smarter and more thoughtful (in my opinion) and care less for trashy parties, big budget blockbusters and David Guetta (again, in my opinion) Therefore a coaster about senseless destruction can no longer be considered appealing. Thorpe Park is now focusing on marketing fun and pleasant rides and blue skies, aspiring people to come to the park not challenging them. I wont be surprised if Thorpe's next set of rides are focused on themes of fun and pleasure, instead of violence and destruction.

HaydenCR said:
While Thorpe Park are slightly reaching out to families, the reality is this brand change is merely a change of the times, with teenage interests in music, fashion and media changing. Teenagers are becoming smarter and more thoughtful (in my opinion) and care less for trashy parties, big budget blockbusters and David Guetta (again, in my opinion) Therefore a coaster about senseless destruction can no longer be considered appealing. Thorpe Park is now focusing on marketing fun and pleasant rides and blue skies, aspiring people to come to the park not challenging them. I wont be surprised if Thorpe's next set of rides are focused on themes of fun and pleasure, instead of violence and destruction.

I agree and disagree with this statement. There are always going to be a love of violence and destruction within the teenage market but I also agree that people may find it distasteful. Thorpe Park have obviously realized with their attendance rate dropping 10% on a year of a new coaster opening that perhaps they are targeting the wrong audience. If they have a friendlier approach to their advertising families may feel more welcome?!

Themeparkmania said:
HaydenCR said:

I agree and disagree with this statement. There are always going to be a love of violence and destruction within the teenage market but I also agree that people may find it distasteful. Thorpe Park have obviously realized with their attendance rate dropping 10% on a year of a new coaster opening that perhaps they are targeting the wrong audience. If they have a friendlier approach to their advertising families may feel more welcome?!

There are few markets more fickle than the teenage one, Thorpe are simply slowly refreshing their branding and probably also realising that it's time to recapture a wider market.

Lets just say, being a teenager in 8 days, none of Thorpes old marketing appeals to me at all. I much prefer altons approach, as I only want to do something that I know my parents and younger brother will enjoy. And except those living around Thorpe, what younger teenagers are really alloud to travel all the way to a theme park alone?
I hope Thorpe handle this well, as currently marketing for a family is not suited to the parks current approach which sometimes can come qcross rude , and definitely not family friendly.
Also, the other day I saw thorpes facebook post a link to a blog review , in which they had given a mother, 4 yearold and 6 year old free tickets in return for a review. Obviously the review was good, raving about how family friendly it was,which definitely points to the fact thorpe are chainging their target audience.

Themeparkmania said:
HaydenCR said:

A big problem is that the previous marketing was appealing to students in secondary school (11-15) These people (cause i was one of them!) love violence and destruction, and a range of terrible visual puns. The marketing was perfect for that age group. However there were several problems.

1. Teens of this age cannot afford to go to Thorpe Park. This means they have to ask their parents.
2. Parent's may not want to send kids to Thorpe Park, for a variety of reasons: having to travel a long distance, wanting to go with family, gate price is not affordable.
3. Parents look on the website, to see what is available for families. The website actively tells them Thorpe Park is not subtitle for families, and to look at Chessington or Legoland, adding to this parents may be put off by the violence themed rides and the increased removal of family rides.

Therefore, young teens were not in the majority who vised Thorpe park.

However the marketing also appealed to an extent to those aged 16-20. Some wanted to come for the rides, others did find it funny, and they could afford to come to Thorpe Park. This made the majority of visitors.

But around late 2011-2012 there were an increasing number of teens this age that found the marketing patronizing and to loud, brash and crude. This had put them off visiting Thorpe Park. Come 2012, we had a major cultural change and the marketing for Thorpe looked horrendously outdated.

This change in marketing is to appeal more to not only families but older teens as well.

electricBlll said:
Really, what evidence is there that Thorpe Park have turned into a family park?

From what I gathered during my induction at Thorpe Park, it will be aiming for 'family thrill' from now on, opposed to 'teenage thrillseekers'. So there is no reason why Thorpe's future rides shouldn't be as thrilling as the ones they have built to date, they'll just be showing them off in a slightly different light in the future.

Whether this means the marketing will completely change, moving entirely away from appealing to teenagers, I don't know. But I do know that it won't be leaving Chessington out in the cold, as they're still going to be appealing to those who want a more thrilling day out.

Thorpe Park

The focus isn't shifting ENTIRELY from the current target market of teens, it's just now INCLUDING families.

In terms of marketing it might be including them, but what at the park is it actully offering them. That will determine the success of whatever it is they are trying.

T said:
The focus isn't shifting ENTIRELY from the current target market of teens, it's just now INCLUDING families.

Indeed, that was a much better way of explaining it :D

pluk said:
In terms of marketing it might be including them, but what at the park is it actully offering them. That will determine the success of whatever it is they are trying.

I don't think Thorpe Park's family offering is actually that bad. For example;

Family Rides: Depth Charge, Flying Fish, Rumba Rapids, Storm in a Teacup, Mr Monkey's Banana Ride, Chief Ranger's Carousel, Rocky Express, Logger's Leap, Storm Surge and X.

You've also got to remember Thorpe will be for brave families who are seeking a thrill. It's only the height restrictions that may cause issues.

Sorry I know the topic has long moved on, but I was referring to every shop at Thorpe being full of sweets - we were hard pressed to find such offerings at Legoland. I know there is a sweet shop but we didn't happen to pass it so went without. At Thorpe, sugar rushes are everywhere.

Of all the parks I would've thought Legoland would have sweets everywhere, but wondered if it was like that for a reason, so a visit to the shop was a conscious choice.

Laura said:
Sorry I know the topic has long moved on, but I was referring to every shop at Thorpe being full of sweets - we were hard pressed to find such offerings at Legoland. I know there is a sweet shop but we didn't happen to pass it so went without. At Thorpe, sugar rushes are everywhere.

Of all the parks I would've thought Legoland would have sweets everywhere, but wondered if it was like that for a reason, so a visit to the shop was a conscious choice.

Simple answer to that one, Legoland exists to sell Lego. Therefore its shops are full of Lego rather than the usual Theme Park tat.

But a bit of what you say is likely true. I can't imagine parents of the age Legoland attracts would want their kids eating those types of sweats, therefore the park have no reason for them. But then Legolands market is completely different to Thorpe's and that's not going to change.

Honestly I think like this news has caused a bit of an overreaction. There's no way Thorpe would ditch the teen market and go back to family. All they are doing is changing their brand to appeal to young adults (as in the same Teen market but broader) and potentially open up the family market a bit. About time I say!

Further to my previous indication of upcoming changes at TP, I thought it would be beneficial to indicate some quite specific information, that's currently known to myself.

Thorpe Park will be focusing on re-recruiting families and positioning themselves as a more premium, and therefor aspirational brand.

They very much want to avoid the creation of an interim identity, and as such, they have came up with the following steps, in order to align the park communications with the modified positioning. Tips are as follows:
  • Fatheads are not to be used on any new signage. They have been removed online and as budget permits they will remove any high profile signage which includes them.
  • Tone of voice should remain friendly and fun, while ensuring TP is not not isolating anyone.

As well as the above, a return of the railway is imminent, and will be steaming into action in the coming weeks.

In terms of current 'Family' attractions, there is a slight offering, and it isn't completely 'Thrill'-orientated, by which I mean, a younger child wouldn't be completely without attractions throughout a day visit to TP. However, there's plans for 3-4 new attractions in the pipeline, all of which will benefit the new modification in target market.

Clearly teenagers and young adults just don't spend the money like families do. I bet they all use BOGOF to get in, eat once during the day and don't spend any money elsewhere. You only have to look at the lack of merch and the lack of large shops compared to somewhere like Alton Towers. Thorpe can be very full, but the guests must not be spending the money in the park. Where Towers could be quiet, but I bet guests are still spending plenty of money in the park.

Thorpe have always had a few rides for younger guests, but over recent years these have been removed or closed (railway, 4D cinema), but the problem is they have marketed them selves as this THRILL CAPITAL, which will put any family or younger guest off the park. I do love Thorpe Park, but there is no way I would take my younger brother (who is 8) there, as hes a bit too small for the thrill rides, but there isn't enough smaller rides he would enjoy.

Thrope just need to get the balance right. They don't need to start adding their own Thomas Land. They just need a few more family rides and more relaxing rides. Currently there is very little to do at Thorpe in terms of a relaxing sit down ride, its all fast moving, spinning, dropping, twisting rides. Adding the railway will be a start!

Add a few family rides (not kids rides!), change the marketing a bit and they could get it right again. Keep Lego and Chessie for the families with younger children, and Thorpe for the families with older children.

It will be interesting to see what next year brings.

Excellent news. Whilst the 'Thrill Capital' suits me just fine it's a terrible marketing stratagy.

I have a younger brother with very bad autism/dyspraxia. He enjoys theme parks but has a low tolerance for thrills. I've always advised my parents against going anywhere near Thorpe as he would be bored senseless.

How they actually make this transition will be very interesting. A lot of the park needs some extrensive TLC.

I'm not sure what's happening in the Arena this season, but I'd love to see that area gutted and used either a good in-house regular show or large family attraction.

Same with the pool area. If it's going to be a family water play area then get it up to scratch with a treehouse and some interactive features, or flatten it for a new family area.

I'd already mentioned this a few months ago, but I would also like to see them shift Neptune's Beach, Wet Wet Wet and Depth Charge out of the park and create some kind of waterpark somewhere north of the car park. Getting rid of Flying Fish for a proper family coaster would also help (even if that has to be built elsewhere). Something like a cross between Wet and Wild and Alton's water park might work so it would be well-themed but have larger slides.

There's quite a bit of land up there and if they had a water park that was open all year round, they could continue to make money over closed season, like Chessington does with the zoo days. It would also make a proper hotel more viable as Thorpe Park would have more than just rides.

Regardless of whether that would happen (which it probably won't :p ), I still think those attractions need moving. They take up quite a lot of land, and unless they fill in more of the lake, they don't have much space left.

Also, with Legoland so close with their brand new outdoor water play area, if people want to take their kids to a park with these kinds of small water attractions, they'll more than likely pick the park with other things for them.

As for the attractions that would replace those removed, something more thrilling than the attractions at Chessington would work perfectly. I can see why people would want Thorpe Park to offer more thrills over anything else but that doesn't have to mean that they offer little else for people who perhaps aren't up to the bigger rides. I know when I went for the first time that I had to go on everything with my dad, as my mum and brother aren't in to thrill rides. They didn't want to go on the kiddie attractions either, but there's not exactly much else besides the few other water rides for them. Like I said a page or two ago, something like a small wooden coaster or a Vekoma Mine Train would be the kind of ride to fit between the thrills and smaller attractions. They're not the sort of attraction that would make those who are into the thrill rides feel embarrassed about going on if they're with a group of their chums either.

I think they should gut the dome, gut the "beach", gut depth charge and create a much nicer entrance area, and build a traditional (not shooting) dark ride - as they're great for everyone - and move their Ibiza Chav Nights to the arena area with its own separate entrance if need be.

Novas said:
Excellent news. Whilst the 'Thrill Capital' suits me just fine it's a terrible marketing stratagy.

I have a younger brother with very bad autism/dyspraxia. He enjoys theme parks but has a low tolerance for thrills. I've always advised my parents against going anywhere near Thorpe as he would be bored senseless.

Sounds like me when I was younger. I have autism & dyspraxia myself. But now i am a full-on thrill junkie! Your brother may get there eventually, you never know!

I think Thorpe has a decent set of family rides, but there is room for improvement. The next coaster, I feel should have a lower height restriction. In addition the planned flat rides we are going to be seeing should also have a low height restriction but still be semi-thrilling. I really als hope the planned rides take advantage of the lake. A splash battle would be a god fit for Thorpe I think. They are not very thrilling, but also appeal to a large market.

Thorpe Park

Presumably they could re-open the railway with very little work, as all of the rolling stock still exists at the park? It's one of the things that immediately appeals to families because of it's gentle nature.

Ben