• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Which ride will be removed next? (Poll reset 20.06.2017)

Which ride at Alton will be removed next? (Poll reset 20.06.2017)

• Spinball

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Rita

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Nemesis: Sub-Terra

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • Hex

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twirling Toadstool

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Congo River Rapids

• Galactica

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Nemesis

• Duel

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • The Blade

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • Enterprise

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • Runaway Mine Train

• Oblivion

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Thirteen

• Other (please state)

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
I think a lot of Nemesis' track has been already replaced over the years. Was it a couple of years ago we last saw new track sections (the vertical loop if I remember correctly.)

I wonder how long the famous b&m warranty lasted/lasts for. Does it still exist even?

I think a lot of Nemesis' track has been already replaced over the years. Was it a couple of years ago we last saw new track sections (the vertical loop if I remember correctly.)

I wonder how long the famous b&m warranty lasted/lasts for. Does it still exist even?
I thought they were just filling it with sand to stop complaints about noise

Didn't think there were any neighbours FV side? I know they done that (the sand) with oblivion however. I'm confident some track has been replaced at least on nemesis.

I think there were complaints about the noise at one point because of new wheels on the trains which caused it to be very loud.

I've never understood the noise rule. They know what they were getting into when they bought the house!

A lot of people were there before the park became a theme park, it wasn't noisy when they moved in!

I don't think they'll remove anything unless it absolutely has to go. They've got plenty of space for new rides as it is, so they don't need to incur the extra cost of removing one to fit a new one in!

But they do. This is what does my head in with Alton Towers. Instead of adding to their portfolio of rides. They put a new ride in and take one out. So it never expands. It's always one out one in.

In some ways in might depends on exact location and gif shop etc. Probably not as a ride in the exact same location. Alton really need to replace every flat they remove as with Blade and maybe Ripsaw going there would be none in FV and would result in larger queues for nemmy and air and make guests unhappy. The removal of Blade and Ripsaw could have an unforeseen impact on customer satisfaction and may lead to further reductions in gate income.

Nemesis is a bit like Trigger's broom. They will overtime replace parts of the ride system and track and never need to replace the whole ride. This has already happened to an extent over the years.

Because of the excavation of the site it will be almost impossibly difficult to build a different attraction in that location, and they certainly wouldn't be able to get the planning permission in the current climate to make the dramatic landscaping changes that would be required to build a new a new coaster there, and the costs would be huge.

For this reason I believe Nemesis is the most likely ride to remain in the park no matter, not even mentioning that it is a classic and loved attraction. It will be there as long as the park is open and in business, or until some date probably at least 25-100 years in the future when ride technology has significantly made it redundant. Think of it like Big Dipper or other similar classic coasters, that will survive the test of time, even just as a little piece of history.

Every single other ride is more at threat before Nemesis goes anywhere.

Last edited:
In the case of Nemesis, it's also reassuring that like The Grand National/Dipper, it's still arguably the best coaster in the park.

I hope Oblivion is a close second to Nemesis. I never want it to go! It's the best coaster I have ever ridden.

Out of all the coasters there, I would say the B&M trio have the lowest probability of being removed in the near future snd expect all three to still exist in some form in 15 years time or more.

I somewhat think all three will definitely outlive Rita and maybe even Smiler.

Smiler will be outlived by all the b&ms because it may become unrideable because of roughness (never been on another gerst, but I've heard they age badly), it will most likely have another major issue, and anything now will be reported by every tabloid as "that rollercoaster that crashed is still unsafe" and may even become unpopular once it's record has been broken or even when it reopens (we don't know if the ride will be popular when it opens)

Nemesis and Oblivion will probably outlive smiler just because there B+Ms and it may be hard to refit part of the smilers like what they do with nemesis

Smiler will be outlived by all the b&ms because it may become unrideable because of roughness (never been on another gerst, but I've heard they age badly), it will most likely have another major issue, and anything now will be reported by every tabloid as "that rollercoaster that crashed is still unsafe" and may even become unpopular once it's record has been broken or even when it reopens (we don't know if the ride will be popular when it opens)

Who wants more than 14 loops?

14 is too many IMO.

And yes they do age badly.