• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2013: General Discussion

delta79 said:
from what i understand the 3 lines going into alton are not large enough to run more than the area they are already powering. as the line are usually 33KV or 44KV.

besides high power switching is restricted to specially trained and authorized personnel. usually these are engineers from the power company, as most inlet switchgear is owned and operated by them.

Yeah that was part of my point

James said:
I certainly see your point, Sam. I had a conversation with my parents about this a few weeks ago - and we all agreed that at the bottom line of it, from a guests' perspective the park is at fault. Or at the very least their day feels ruined by it. Even though it's out of Alton Towers' control, people who have travelled far and spent a lot on visiting, a power cut can have a real effect on a visit.

Most people on here don't get it I would believe mainly down to the fact most of the members on here have annual passes so a simple power cut is a non-issue. For your general guest that may only get one (or two if they are lucky) visit(s) a year, a power cut is a massive deal.

Although there's not much Alton Towers can physically do without spending tons of money on creating a stable power system to cover them during power cuts. It's a huge site and in the middle of the countryside. I highly doubt Merlin would see any benefit in investing such money either. Not unless power cuts begin to have a huge impact on the business yearly.
James said:
Ive said this on many an occasion about annual pass holders. If us mear mortals who dont have one get upset by park closing we get shot down, people always forget that its for many people a once a year (or maybe less) trip. We cant just simple appear at the park a few times a year we have plan months in advance. Money has to be saved.

As for the power issue. Im sure AT work close to the National Grid. If there is a power cut there must be someone being employed by either AT or the power company that can rush out and save the day. Also think its like Jurrasic Park, Turning the power back on is not like switching on the kitchen light. Be proceders and flashing buttons to press, so it will of course take time. Is AT fault, possible. The smiler maybe the reason why the power is tripping out.

112.20 per person (if two people share a room) for this Saturday with discount WTF towers

They are probably expecting a lot of guests due to it being The Smiler's first weekend. That's about right price wise. You get prices like that during the holidays. Easy way to get money off people (other wise known as ripping off).

In all honesty its not towers fault for having the price high. Its the customers fault for paying it.

If people would just not pay then they would be forced to reduce the price. They know people will spend that much especially since the hotel seems almost/completely full this weekend

It's on a booking system which automatically raises the price when rooms become fewer. Guaranteed that'll be one of the last rooms left for this saturday, hence the price.

This has been revealed by the Resort today. It gives queue time information, which is updated every 30 minutes. What intrigues me most is that the queue time for Blivvy is 40 minutes. I wonder why... :p

983926_484732328263883_1167875206_n.jpg

TowersStreet said:
The new painting continues in the Splash Landings Hotel.

Glad to see that while The Smiler is delayed, time can still be found to vandalise Splash Landings. :)

That's pretty nasty. I understood the contrast effect when your moving from one hotel to the other, but this doesn't make any sense?

Are they trying to make splash landings as naff as they can so they can charge more for the ATH or something? That's bloody horrendous!

:eek:

These new paintings look like they were done by 4 year olds... They're just too cartoony and are ruining what was a highly themed hotel!

Do you reckon going over them with some sandpaper in the middle of the night would make them better so that they appear washed out? ;)

Having now seen Splash in person since the repaints......it was worse than I could have ever expected.

Only the room corridors and stairwells seem to have survived this explosion in a paint factory so far.

Also, I noticed that theming in the ATH lifts has been removed.

I don't mind the cartoon-y effects so much but I'm not enjoying the weird colour crossover thingo they're trying to do. Still, nothing can be a awful as the big green block that just.. stops.. halfway down a corridor.

B-But... I thought everything at Alton Towers was free to change colour and appearance as each passing manager sees fit?

The saturated block colours help to lighten the area up, the majority of the public won't care what exact shade the walls were painted when the hotel opened. It's not realistic to expect things to stay the same forever, and the pastel colours fit the theme.

Oh wait, I forgot there's such a thing as tasteful design, of which this refurbishment has very little.

I don't think this looks as terrible as people are making out. It is a change of style admittedly, but it certainly could be a lot worse. It doesn't look like the old Splash Landings, but If SLH had been painted like this from opening I doubt people would have focused in on it. *awaits backlash* ;)

It is certainly not finished yet, the floor below has had its walls prepared to be painted soon!

I have more photos (Sorry but it gets worse) to post up later tonight.

There is a shred of hope that the management will change soon and the new people in charge will realise how awful it is and sort it out.....

Very wishful thinking.