• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2015: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
IQ test at the park gates? Might cause a bit of a backlog. Though for MAP holders I guess you'd only have to do it once.
Have to do it before you arrive also VIP pass holders should get punch in the face before entering

Have to do it before you arrive also VIP pass holders should get punch in the face before entering

Well you've failed.

@delta79 Let's not go there mate, you know it wasn't a serious suggestion. ;)

Just to bring this back on topic I think the reason the monorail gets away without air gates is because it's outside the park and therefore the bubble wrap rule doesn't apply. People see it as a mode of transport and not a ride.

Alas there is a different attitude people take whilst inside a Theme Park. I know it as the "turnstile effect". Normally reasonable minded people drop all common sense, enter holiday mode and assume they can do no wrong. This is why The Smiler crash caused a massive culture shock but a minibus crashing in London injuring 16 people wouldn't even make the news.

Just to bring this back on topic I think the reason the monorail gets away without air gates is because it's outside the park and therefore the bubble wrap rule doesn't apply. People see it as a mode of transport and not a ride.
No.

Alas there is a different attitude people take whilst inside a Theme Park. I know it as the "turnstile effect". Normally reasonable minded people drop all common sense, enter holiday mode and assume they can do no wrong. This is why The Smiler crash caused a massive culture shock but a minibus crashing in London injuring 16 people wouldn't even make the news.
Yes.

I know it's a pain and isn't aesthetically pleasing, which is very disappointing, but you have to remember that management don't exactly have a choice in this. If someone fell into the Rapids (or potentially even if they claimed that they 'nearly' fell in) the media would go on another rampage and the park would lose vast sums of money as a result. I don't like the way they've gone about putting the fencing up as it is ugly and detracts from the atmosphere in Katanga Canyon but ultimately it had to be done; Alton can't afford the luxury of presuming that all guests have common sense at the moment.

I dont really see how someone could "fall into the rapids" unless :-

(a) they climbed over the fence already there
(b) they climbed over the fence already there
(c) they climbed over the fence already there

Sorry, but this namby pamby crap is really doing my head in!!! If I wanted, I could climb into the area under Air and kill myself, I could run in front of a car in the car park and kill myself or jump infront of the monorail as is comes into the station. Theres just no need for these fences everywhere. And putting one over RMT has really spoilt this area.

Is it possible (although unlikely) that these fences are only temporary, and during closed season they will replace them with more themed ones?

and i do know how unlikely this is. I just mean could they do it, or are these fences permanent

They could make the fences more in keeping with the areas of the park in which they're situated, but I very much doubt that they will.

I dont really see how someone could "fall into the rapids" unless :-

(a) they climbed over the fence already there
(b) they climbed over the fence already there
(c) they climbed over the fence already there

(D) they climbed up, sat on the fence already there, loose their balance and fall into the ride area.

As for the fencing on the bridge, i think a rope formation that looks like rope bridge support system would look quite nice.

I'd love to be a local fence builder in the area right now, their pockets must be overflowing.

Do you think that if enough people complained about the fences, danger of death signs, effectively wrapping people in bubble wrap, then they would reevaluate their h&s and sort it out. I don't really just mean us, if the gp complained that it ruined the atmosphere. I wouldn't see anything wrong with having themed fences, regular danger, ride area signs, so why not. I think the only problem is the "it will do" attitude of merlin. The gp don't notice that the fence has gotten higher (not many notice, anyway) so merlin think they can get away with putting a huge, unthemed fence in. They already have your money, why does it matter really if only people who visit at least 6 times a year notice.

(D) they climbed up, sat on the fence already there, loose their balance and fall into the ride area.

As for the fencing on the bridge, i think a rope formation that looks like rope bridge support system would look quite nice.

Yeah but that could happen anywhere. Monorail station, sat on railings, fell on track for example. Its just a fence for no reason.

Quite agree about rope formation, but then, oh wait, theres the risk of someone hanging themselves so they cant do that either...... :(

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.