2018: General Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MakoMania, 24th Oct 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt.GC

Matt.GC TowersStreet Member

I agree with this. These decisions seem at odds with Merlins pro accommodation strategy as they've effectively taken a lot of value out over night stays. With the park closed an overnight stay is a substantially devalued product.

It is typical behaviour however as Merlin have increasingly relied on accommodation for income and have quite bullishly been dismissive of seeing the parks as a substantial draw to their resorts. Whether we have seen the tipping point of this or not is yet to be seen.

Since Merlin have been reluctant to talk openly about their RTP performance as of late, we may well have already passed that tipping point, with Merlin wanting to just plow on regardless.

2. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

I wouldn’t expect there are enough accommodation bookings on September weekdays to make it worth opening the park. Better to push the weekend accommodation for park guests and then try for corporate conference bookings on weekdays.

3. MakoMania

MakoMania TowersStreet Member

Yes, it seems increasingly that they are moving park operating days to days that they can fill hotels the most easily.

4. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Sorry to keep asking questions, but do you guys think that there will be any ride lineup changes next year? I think that Twirling Toadstool might have been having an off-site refurbishment and might reopen for next year, as instead of just removing it from the website like they did Ice Age, they have listed it as undergoing Towers Loving Care. Although I'm unsure what they would do to it that would take a whole year and two closed seasons...

JB1985 likes this.
  5. WickerManiac

WickerManiac TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Colossus
    With visitors packed into less days, meaning it should theoretically be busier on average, I'd like to see the cost savings off set against ride openings or re-introductions.

To keep enthusiasts and the GP on side, the re-introduction of Nemesis Sub-Terra & Twirling Toadstoole wouldn't go amiss. Coupled with the opening of SW8, this would make for a better season no doubt.

If Toadstoole is no introduced, I can see that becoming part of the 2019 CCL Re-theme (possibly to Lego) product.

Towerslover and Matt N like this.
  6. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    They had them on these dates in 2012 too. Nothing's changed there. Apart from the lack of the Friday.

WickerManiac likes this.
  7. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    Yes, but there is a crucial difference.

Staffordshire Half Term in 2012 was a week earlier. In 2018, their fireworks is during the half term - when the park would be packed anyway, whether they did fireworks or not.

If they put fireworks the following weekend, they would easily get 40,000 more guests.

Bert2theSpark, jon81uk, James and 2 others like this.
  8. JB1985

JB1985 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Oblivion
    This really is everything that is wrong with AT plus filler rides. It’s such a shambles. The thing is a little effort and an acceptance that profit making is not the be all and end all and you have an amazing place.

The park died in my eyes when it became about return on shareholders investment and not the experience. I understand businesses need to make money but theme parks should be about fun ran by people who want to create fun

MaxPower and DiogoJ42 like this.
  9. RoyJess

RoyJess TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Oblivion? Valhalla? or Apocalypse?

The good news is that they have adjusted the prices so that the accessible lodges are the same price as the normal ones

The bad news is, that they did it by raising the price of the normal ones to match the accessible lodges :rolleyes:

However, these prices are still cheaper for the same date for what I paid for this season just gone.

[​IMG]

10. evilcod

evilcod TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Pirates of the Caribbean - Paris
    NemeTime, MaxPower, Matt N and 7 others like this.
  11. Alastair

Alastair TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Indiana Jones Adventure
    So this makes sense in the future... ;)

[​IMG]

b2311e, NemeTime, MattyH and 3 others like this.
  12. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    I wonder if this means that they might be opening Spinball over the winter season for hotel guests?

:)

13. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    That would make more sense, actually, as there is virtually nothing on there other than Spinball, CBeebies Land, CCL and Mutiny Bay, which I believe is the lineup that's normally open during the holiday season.

14. MakoMania

2018 season theme park tickets are now on sale online, no price changes as far as I can see.

Towerslover likes this.
    Posted 2nd Dec 2017
  15. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    That's surprising considering there's an SW opening! Thank you Merlin! Although I suppose they increased ticket prices midway through 2017 instead.

Posted 2nd Dec 2017
  16. MakoMania

They increased gate prices mid way through 2017 but not online prices. The 241 vouchers and online prices are getting closer together every year.

Matt N likes this.
    Posted 2nd Dec 2017
  17. Poopoohead

Poopoohead TowersStreet Member

Do we have an official opening date yet?

Posted 2nd Dec 2017
  18. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Yes. The 17th March is our opening date for next season.

Poopoohead and Skyscraper like this.
    Posted 2nd Dec 2017
  19. Matt.GC

Matt.GC TowersStreet Member

Replacing the Flume, which closed 2 seasons ago and prices have increased since. Since then we've also seen Sub Terra, Ripsaw and half of CCL closed and this will remain the case next season. So I wouldn't be thanking anyone.

Matt N, jon81uk and MaxPower like this.
    Posted 2nd Dec 2017
  20. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    I don't believe that we've actually had confirmation of a ride line-up yet, so for all we know, Sub Terra and Toadstool could open again. Of course, the attractions that have disappeared from the website (CATCF, Wobble World, Ice Age 4D) and the attractions that have been confirmed as goners and long since removed (Ripsaw, Flume) won't be returning, but we don't yet know about the TLC attractions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.