• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2019 General Election Poll and Discussion

Which party will you vote for at the 2019 General Election?

• Brexit Party

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Conservatives

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Green Party

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Labour

Votes: 42 46.7%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 14 15.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UKIP

• Other

• Not Voting/Can't Vote

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Not Yet Decided

Votes: 6 6.7%

• Total voters
Imagine voting for a party who result in sick kids on hospital floors, refuse to encounter any form of tough questioning, and use idiotic political editors to flat out lie about incidents (a Tory aide being "punched" outside LGI after protestors told Hancock by name and nature where to go).

I'm not a fan of Corbyn, but the country cannot honestly continue the way it is. Yet it will, because we get people towing the line of apparently knowing better even when facts and figures from reputable sources (i.e. not the Sun or Julia Hartley-Brewer) are responded to.

What are the Conservatives going to do to make it easier for young adults to buy a house when they let landlords buy them all up? What about the safety of flats? What about those families who are half UK and EU? What about all those EU workers who do the hard labour? What about required improvements to infrastructure? Mental health? Workers rights? Human rights? Preventing businesses moving their HQs to an EU country when Brexit happens? What's the actual plan post Brexit? What about disabled people?

If blue can actually answer what Tory policy will do to improve any of those I'll be impressed. But to act like you know more than most? You quite clearly show you know nothing about actual living situations. You don't know what it's like to try and budget for a month because your disabled partner can't work but isn't deemed disabled enough by the government to get benefits for a lifelong disease. I highly doubt you know what's it like to look at houses and have to figure out how you can save a £14'500 deposit when you earn £25'000 annually.

But no, much like many Tories you brag about how much better you are off. That it won't affect you. You tread all over the anti-Semitism within Labour but ignore the Islamophobia and more in your own party. I'm not a Corbyn fan, or a die hard Labour party person, but they are truly the best option to improve the country. Why do they need to spend big? Because the country has been left to stagnate over the last decade whilst the rich plan their next steps of sowing discord and keeping the lower lot in check by using hatred of others (THE TURKISH ARE JOINING THE EU) and pretending that things they can control (like regulated immigration and having blue passports like EU country Croatia) aren't, resulting in a vote built on lies and corruption as proven by police investigation. Which cannot be pursued due to the damn thing being only an advisory referendum in the first place.

David Cameron once said it would be Chaos with Ed Milliband. Who lost an election because he ate a bacon sarnie weirdly. I doubt a Labour led by Ed would have reaped the same results as we have seen.

Can any Conservative voter look me in the eye and honestly tell me the country is better now than it was in 2010?

If so, I invite you to share a metric that shows anything that is improved.

Can any Conservative voter look me in the eye and honestly tell me the country is better now than it was in 2010?

If so, I invite you to share a metric that shows anything that is improved.

I'm not a conservative voter, but the unemployment figure is particularly low right now.

It can be contested how meaningful that is with so many people in the gig economy and on zero hour contracts, so work is neither secure nor enough to sustain a family. Many families are living below the poverty line despite being in work.

2010 is an interesting year to compare to, too. The full ramifications of the global recession and credit crunch are really hitting home in 2010. Many companies are going bust, with many people loosing jobs.

The conservatives chose to cut, instead of invest. The idea was to not spend out of our means and reduce the national debt (and therefore save money). The impact of these decisions is what we see in public services today. Public services that have crumbled, that have been sold off, that have been cut to the bone.

Imagine voting for a party who result in sick kids on hospital floors, refuse to encounter any form of tough questioning, and use idiotic political editors to flat out lie about incidents (a Tory aide being "punched" outside LGI after protestors told Hancock by name and nature where to go).

I'm not a fan of Corbyn, but the country cannot honestly continue the way it is. Yet it will, because we get people towing the line of apparently knowing better even when facts and figures from reputable sources (i.e. not the Sun or Julia Hartley-Brewer) are responded to.

What are the Conservatives going to do to make it easier for young adults to buy a house when they let landlords buy them all up? What about the safety of flats? What about those families who are half UK and EU? What about all those EU workers who do the hard labour? What about required improvements to infrastructure? Mental health? Workers rights? Human rights? Preventing businesses moving their HQs to an EU country when Brexit happens? What's the actual plan post Brexit? What about disabled people?

If blue can actually answer what Tory policy will do to improve any of those I'll be impressed. But to act like you know more than most? You quite clearly show you know nothing about actual living situations. You don't know what it's like to try and budget for a month because your disabled partner can't work but isn't deemed disabled enough by the government to get benefits for a lifelong disease. I highly doubt you know what's it like to look at houses and have to figure out how you can save a £14'500 deposit when you earn £25'000 annually.

But no, much like many Tories you brag about how much better you are off. That it won't affect you. You tread all over the anti-Semitism within Labour but ignore the Islamophobia and more in your own party. I'm not a Corbyn fan, or a die hard Labour party person, but they are truly the best option to improve the country. Why do they need to spend big? Because the country has been left to stagnate over the last decade whilst the rich plan their next steps of sowing discord and keeping the lower lot in check by using hatred of others (THE TURKISH ARE JOINING THE EU) and pretending that things they can control (like regulated immigration and having blue passports like EU country Croatia) aren't, resulting in a vote built on lies and corruption as proven by police investigation. Which cannot be pursued due to the damn thing being only an advisory referendum in the first place.

David Cameron once said it would be Chaos with Ed Milliband. Who lost an election because he ate a bacon sarnie weirdly. I doubt a Labour led by Ed would have reaped the same results as we have seen.

Spot on... post of the week!

No it’s just I can’t understand why people won’t listen

Experience :)
I think it is down to experience. When people have experienced a four hour wait for an ambulance, they know the NHS is under resourced. When they have experienced their local library being sold off and converted into a Wetherspoons, they understand that public services have been decimated and they're not ok with that.

Maybe.

The young never listen to their elders

I've spoken to a lot of my elders who have all encouraged me to not vote conservative. I usually spend at least 1 day a week with people older than me and listening to them the majoirty think Boris Johnson and the conservatives are ruining the country.

I challenge you to list at least 5 ways the country has improved since the tories came into power. They've been in charge for 9 years now so I'm sure you can find some without resorting to Labour bashing.

BEF5C7F9-D7E7-4C78-A0D1-E3D7A4F861A1.thumb.jpeg.89b08802a4caa3092c19f6b8bc541612.jpeg

I'm not a conservative voter, but the unemployment figure is particularly low right now.

That figure don't take in consideration people on disability benefits. More and more people are claiming disability as disability is spectrum is broadening. Plus this government is heartless and brutal when if comes to forcing those into work that are clearly genuinely too ill to work.

I have no idea who to vote for. I only have 3 real options in my area. Lib Dems would have probably got my vote in this situation but not with their current high and mighty direction (its ok if you want to stop Brexit I suppose).

Some Labour policies I agree with, some Conservative policies I agree with, but the senior teams in both those two parties have become so stuck in their own party politics, each are trying to con their way into power in my view, just in different ways.

And I dont so much mind Corbyn, you may disagree with him but at least he’s upfront rather than trying to play the nice card like much of Labour. Except for Brexit—oops—due to him being hated by his own shadow cabinet who all read the same painful script. The media hatred of Corbyn is a smoke screen I think.

I dont like the Conservative party either, but which is worse? Which is better for dealing with Brexit? Can we have another GE after Brexit please focussing on reform, or would that be painful for the whole country?

Regarding unemployment: Both true, and I did question it's meaningfulness.

However where I work there have been jobs going every day since I started (degree level, well paying). I know several other places where there have been jobs available for years, with short staffing the norm. Both no qualifications required jobs and upto degree level. It might be a competitive market, and it might only be so active in certain places, but there are many jobs available right now.

My home town had nothing of worth going, so unfortunately I had to move to London. That's a conservative policy.

@RoyJess - seems contradictory to both have more people on disabled benefits as the scope widens, and also more people being forced into work despite it not being reasonable.

Last edited:
I dont like the Conservative party either, but which is worse? Which is better for dealing with Brexit? Can we have another GE after Brexit please, or would that be painful for the whole country?

Conservatives plan on leaving the EU come hell or highwater in January. Labour plan on trying to renegotiate the deal and then having a referendum with three option, no deal, the new labour deal or remain so the people can decide on what they want to do.

This election will be split between the two age groups. The over 40's and the under 40's in that the the over 40's have experience of Labour governments in the past and won't vote for them again. They also have more money than the younger generation, and will of course vote to protect that (as would we if we were in their shoes). The split couldn't have been more clearer than in the EU referendum, and, had more younger voters been bothered to have got out of bed that day and voted, then the result may have been different.

This is why Labour are so keen on getting the younger vote, because they know the older generation will not be voting for Comrade Corbyn.

This election will be split between the two age groups. The over 40's and the under 40's in that the the over 40's have experience of Labour governments in the past and won't vote for them again. They also have more money than the younger generation, and will of course vote to protect that (as would we if we were in their shoes). The split couldn't have been more clearer than in the EU referendum, and, had more younger voters been bothered to have got out of bed that day and voted, then the result may have been different.

This is why Labour are so keen on getting the younger vote, because they know the older generation will not be voting for Comrade Corbyn.

I know of young people who have voted for brexit and will vote for tories and I know Older people who voted remain and are voting Labour. You seem very quick to stereotype people, judging by your posts you are the sort of person who calls younger people Snowflakes.

We had a Labour government 10 years ago. I'm 20 and I just about remember it, so I don't think it's right to say only older people have experience of a Labour government.

However I'm voting for Labour today, not Labour last decade, or in the 1970s. Their policies are in line with my views and the Tories aren't. And Boris Johnson is a moron and wouldn't deserve my vote even if he had good policies.

@RoyJess - seems contradictory to both have more people on disabled benefits as the scope widens, and also more people being forced into work despite it not being reasonable.

It's been going on for years (over a decade), they have allowed and turned a blind eye to people that don't fit the disability criteria to move onto disability as it artificially reduces the unemployment figures to make it look like they are doing a great job.

But there is also the ESA medical assessment which disable and ill people are on ESA has to undertake and then declared fit for work.

Even I as a full time carer has to undergo work assessment every 2 years

The split couldn't have been more clearer than in the EU referendum, and, had more younger voters been bothered to have got out of bed that day and voted, then the result may have been different.

On the contrary, had you realised that the Leave campaign was almost completely duping you, four years later and you wouldn't be having to vote for the one party whose main selling point in this election is stopping the exact thing you were once absolutely determined to see happen? Talk about the wisdom of our elders!

I dont like the Conservative party either, but which is worse?

It's the Conservative party.

Last edited:
We had a Labour government 10 years ago. I'm 20 and I just about remember it, so I don't think it's right to say only older people have experience of a Labour government.
Playing devil’s advocate, do people really have experience of anything that could inform their vote when they were 10?

Although I agree completely that stereotyping by demographic is wrong and things arent that simple (which is good, diversity of thought is a good thing!)

Unrelated, but I also think it’s wrong to say everyone voted one way or another because of a campaign or a media event, as if cant think for themselves (although theres always some people do just blindly follow what theyre told unfortunately, on both sides) and then conveniently blame the outcome purely on said campaign or event. Both sides always do this to each other.

As far as I can remember, almost nobody completely trusts politicians and take everything they say with skepticism, so they should!

Last edited: