• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

there are quite literally posts on the previous page of this thread implying it won't have much airtime

You said people said it wouldn’t have “any airtime”, not that people said it won’t have much airtime….

It won’t have “much” airtime even if every element is ejector because there are 6 elements and one of those is a hang time element.

After watching the testing, i don't know if they could have added much more as it looks like it looses most of its energy by the end, obviously it will be running faster come opening and retain more energy but the limiting factor on rollercoaster designs to be able to not stall on days like test days where the train is slower, they probably could have added some fast paced turns, or some low to the ground stuff but I think it would not fit in with the rest of the lay out as it is a very ejector filled ride so high speed some what forceful turns would to me feel out of place.
It manages to traverse a very high up stall before it slams into a whacking great section of trim breaks. Despite these trims, it still manages to take the wave turn with enough speed, and absolutely hauls over the last airtime hill into the brakes. On a cold day. Second test run.

Without those trims, they could easily have had an additional 2 or 3 elements of similar size to the wave turn. There's loads of unused space there too.

It looks a hell of a lot like this layout was intentionally cut back and heavily trimmed for budgetary reasons and no other reason.

It manages to traverse a very high up stall before it slams into a whacking great section of trim breaks. Despite these trims, it still manages to take the wave turn with enough speed, and absolutely hauls over the last airtime hill into the brakes. On a cold day. Second test run.

Without those trims, they could easily have had an additional 2 or 3 elements of similar size to the wave turn. There's loads of unused space there too.

It looks a hell of a lot like this layout was intentionally cut back and heavily trimmed for budgetary reasons and no other reason.
yeah, I didn't realise there were trims on that section, I thought the splash down was just the fountains and I saw the speed through that last overbank and thought it had lost a lot of energy.

I would go further and say it was probably designed that way originally. Get the height (and as an effect, speed) and make whatever track you can for the remaining few million quid as this cast-iron budget allows, which in real terms is much less than Swarm and Smiler...AND, to top it all, if Mr O'Neil had been in charge, an investment like this would probably never have been signed off at all.

I know the length thing has been talked about..... well - at length, but I don't understand the argument that other coasters are short so that makes it all OK?

If you have a park full of short coasters, which I would argue Colossus and Saw aren't particularly considering how much lower they are in height, why would you want to build yet another one?

There's been comparisons to Stealth, but that was built in an era when hydrolic launches were the new fangled thing. The launch is the very point of the ride, like the drop is with Oblivion. Neither were ever designed to be full layout coasters.

There's been comparisons with Nemesis, a coaster that itself I think is on the short side, yet is only a fraction of the height, doesn't get trimmed half way through, and doesn't haul ass into the brake run. It uses most of it's energy.

The Swarm is way too short, it wastes energy lining itself up for the set piece inline over the station, seems to run out of ideas and slams into a mid course, before making a hasty retreat to the final brakes. Like it was designed on RCT or Planco, they got bored so pressed auto complete and called it a day. I always feel disappointed when I get off the Swarm as I'm having so much fun with the first part of the ride, it feels a bit lacklustre that it just wraps itself up like that.

Imagine what taste this new coaster will leave in the mouth? Even taller, faster, and unique, yet it's over in 40 seconds. Like a teenage boy loosing their virginty, but with trims! Every element other than the trims look excellent on this coaster to me, but I can't help but suspect that you'll be left wanting more. Much much more.

That may be so but it's not going to go much much faster is it? It loses a lot of momentum between the first and second element.
That's pretty much exactly what I said in the last line of my post! That outward banked turn is going to kill the speed, but it looks to have been designed in that way. And then in the following element you will get a hell of a lot of hang time.

I'm not one for over analysing testing videos mind. It's cool to see it running, it will pick up speed as testing goes on, it is still very very short which is a pity, but I do think it will be a really good coaster.

I know the length thing has been talked about..... well - at length, but I don't understand the argument that other coasters are short so that makes it all OK?

If you have a park full of short coasters, which I would argue Colossus and Saw aren't particularly considering how much lower they are in height, why would you want to build yet another one?

There's been comparisons to Stealth, but that was built in an era when hydrolic launches were the new fangled thing. The launch is the very point of the ride, like the drop is with Oblivion. Neither were ever designed to be full layout coasters.

There's been comparisons with Nemesis, a coaster that itself I think is on the short side, yet is only a fraction of the height, doesn't get trimmed half way through, and doesn't haul ass into the brake run. It uses most of it's energy.

The Swarm is way too short, it wastes energy lining itself up for the set piece inline over the station, seems to run out of ideas and slams into a mid course, before making a hasty retreat to the final brakes. Like it was designed on RCT or Planco, they got bored so pressed auto complete and called it a day. I always feel disappointed when I get off the Swarm as I'm having so much fun with the first part of the ride, it feels a bit lacklustre that it just wraps itself up like that.

Imagine what taste this new coaster will leave in the mouth? Even taller, faster, and unique, yet it's over in 40 seconds. Like a teenage boy loosing their virginty, but with trims! Every element other than the trims look excellent on this coaster to me, but I can't help but suspect that you'll be left wanting more. Much much more.

I don’t think the argument is so much that it ‘makes it okay’ just that there are lots of other coasters of similar or shorter ride times that don’t have this criticism directed at them.

The 1st drop looks good but nothing exeptional. I think this coaster will be sold on the hangtime. If the final tested ride goes through that hangtime element like it has so far omg itll be epic. No seatbelt (i know they rnt needed) to attach to the restraint will scare ppl.

The 1st drop looks good but nothing exeptional. I think this coaster will be sold on the hangtime. If the final tested ride goes through that hangtime element like it has so far omg itll be epic. No seatbelt (i know they rnt needed) to attach to the restraint will scare ppl.
I think the 1st drop and the 1st element after could be very strong moments. Have you seen how the back row gets flung over the top?

Theme Park Worldwide filmed this interesting video showcasing testing from various angles yesterday:

They did 3 test runs yesterday. I don’t know if it’s just me, but it already seemed to be running a bit faster even on that 4th test run!

Official ride footage from the park and comments from the team:

I hadn’t been paying much attention to the construction videos so I didn’t realise until seeing this how the train banks on the curve after coming out the station before the lift hill. This looks to be a great way to start the ride.

e64aa3052a710c193c9952d1c40699ea.jpg

33fbabde7275744eafb0a759a98d9d27.jpg