• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Icon - 2018 Mack Double Launch Coaster

I remember someone on this forum posted an idea for a Mack launch coaster on this spot, and it was pretty much assumed to be a pipe dream. Now its actually happening, and it looks even better! :)

Wow!!!! Amazing! Did I read that the Big Dipper is getting a fresh lick of paint?! Sure hope so.

It looks like it needs a new layer of paint before that wood gets weakened.
The interaction with Icon looks great.... those times that you'll pass riders on a completely different ride are going to make it feel special.

I thought I’d heard someone say they’d stopped painting the woodies because it didn’t actually help with preventing rot. I sort of half understand that since the new timber they use in any replacement is already treated and they certainly don’t paint those sections.

Aesthetically though Dipper certainly needs a paint and I know they’ve done some spot painting here and there this year. Would be great to see the fresh white contrast with Icon’s supports.

I thought I’d heard someone say they’d stopped painting the woodies because it didn’t actually help with preventing rot. I sort of half understand that since the new timber they use in any replacement is already treated and they certainly don’t paint those sections.

Aesthetically though Dipper certainly needs a paint and I know they’ve done some spot painting here and there this year. Would be great to see the fresh white contrast with Icon’s supports.

It makes a huge difference when the woodies' handrails are freshly painted. . .

Apparently the Immelmann is almost complete now as well :)

At least one more piece to go on but it’s now peaking out between Dipper and Infusion and the track piece installed is just beyond 90 degrees. Looks like that element will run about the same height as Infusion’s first inversion. If there’s any part of the ride that’s going to stand out on the skyline it’ll be the hill after the first launch.

a905246c74fa3804200d7a284eb038b29c4eae33

Immelmann status earlier today.

Last edited:
Was wondering if they'll be continuing to build right up to Christmas now. We've got snow in Liverpool today so that could also be effecting them today.
The Big One went up in all weathers, I think they'll continue to crack on, Blackpool was cold today but no real snow or rain.

Does RCS battle cold weather well then? I don't remember anyone mentioning any winter problems with Thirteen and Smiler was built by a different construction firm (TG Cruise I believe?).

I remember hearing not too long ago that PB where thinking of painting Dipper for next season, wether anything will come of it is another matter.

All down two budgets I guess.

Venny, what is the source of the image you're trying to post?

If you can give me a link I'll see if I can get it to work.

:)

Thanks Rob. I think it should now finally (hopefully) be working.

If it doesn't, take me round the back and shoot me. Or at least bring back the days when you could upload pictures direct to a forum!

Reactions: Rob