• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Icon - 2018 Mack Double Launch Coaster

This ride will be Iconic to day the least.

Puts SW8 to shame in my opinion. Completely different rides I know but I would sooner have this!

On another note now that there is actually a decent UK launched coaster will we see the end of Rita and a new launched ride at AT

24073161967_31cd05c149_k.jpg

38051863755_1d3885b19b_k.jpg

Another couple of Immelman pictures from some different angles.

Yeah, it’s worth pointing out that in the second picture Icon’s track can be seen to the right of the third beige PMBO support.

RCDB have updated their Icon page to list an April 2018 opening. They never post things without reason and are usually so picky about getting things right, they must know something.

RCDB have updated their Icon page to list an April 2018 opening. They never post things without reason and are usually so picky about getting things right, they must know something.
Not that this means anything, but Wikipedia is now also saying April 2018. However, RCDB also hasn't yet acknowledged that SW8 is a GCI.

Quick question about this ride: do you guys think this attraction will have as much airtime as Mako at SeaWorld (my current number 1)? I've never ridden a Mack megacoaster before, so I'm not really sure whether they have much airtime or not. Also, I showed my Mum the POV rendering to try and tempt her into going to Blackpool next year, but she still said "Nope. Still don't fancy Blackpool." Oh well. Even if we don't go to Blackpool, I'll still have the opportunity to ride a Mack megacoaster next year if we return to Florida and go to WDW (Slinky Dog at Hollywood Studios).

Icon's opening day hasn't officially been announced but April seems fairly likely, it seems to tie in with the expected length of time it'll take for construction to be completed and everything that'll follow that (testing, training etc).

Quick question about this ride: do you guys think this attraction will have as much airtime as Mako at SeaWorld (my current number 1)? I've never ridden a Mack megacoaster before, so I'm not really sure whether they have much airtime or not. Also, I showed my Mum the POV rendering to try and tempt her into going to Blackpool next year, but she still said "Nope. Still don't fancy Blackpool." Oh well. Even if we don't go to Blackpool, I'll still have the opportunity to ride a Mack megacoaster next year if we return to Florida and go to WDW (Slinky Dog at Hollywood Studios).

Mako (like most B&M Hypers) is nothing but airtime. Mack Mega's are a combination of different elements with a mix of forces. Some of the hills are definitely going to have some good airtime but I think Icon favours ground hugging turns.

The strength of the Mega Coasters is that they can be built to cater for any market. Slinky Dog is not going to ride like Icon. SD will be a great midrange Coaster but not a headline ride like Helix, DC Rivals or Icon.

If it's Florida or Blackpool I wouldn't argue too hard on the Blackpool front! Agree with @Tim - it's a very versatile ride system, Mack really seem to have hit the jackpot with it.

Reactions: Tim
If it's Florida or Blackpool I wouldn't argue too hard on the Blackpool front! Agree with @Tim - it's a very versatile ride system, Mack really seem to have hit the jackpot with it.
Well, my parents are saying we will probably almost definitely return to Florida. It's my Mum's childhood dream to visit the Magic Kingdom. All I meant is that my parents suggested we might go to Blackpool to get use of our MAPs before they run out in June and possibly visit BPB while we were there. But that is getting less and less likely by the day. Also, I know Slinky Dog will be a family ride. I'm just trying to make myself sound as well travelled as I can be having only ridden 39 roller coasters by saying I'm going to ride a Mack megacoaster;). I would personally put Slinky Dog in the same scale bracket as Manta at SeaWorld San Diego, which looks to be more of a family ride to me from not having ridden. Also, I'd like to apologise for being so full of questions, but for those who have ridden both ride types; are Mack's overhead lap bars more comfy than B&M's heavenly clamshells?

Last edited:
Imo Mack (and the new Intamin ones that are basically the same) are the next best thing to B&M. They're extremely comfortable and minimalist even without considering what these coasters do.

Well, my parents are saying we will probably almost definitely return to Florida. It's my Mum's childhood dream to visit the Magic Kingdom. All I meant is that my parents suggested we might go to Blackpool to get use of our MAPs before they run out in June and possibly visit BPB while we were there. But that is getting less and less likely by the day. Also, I know Slinky Dog will be a family ride. I'm just trying to make myself sound as well travelled as I can be having only ridden 39 roller coasters by saying I'm going to ride a Mack megacoaster;). I would personally put Slinky Dog in the same scale bracket as Manta at SeaWorld San Diego, which looks to be more of a family ride to me from not having ridden. Also, I'd like to apologise for being so full of questions, but for those who have ridden both ride types; are Mack's overhead lap bars more comfy than B&M's heavenly clamshells?
If you have MAPs and you havent done Blackpool then it's well worth a stop over. PB on one day and the Merlin attractions on the other. Stop in the big blue hotel and you can't go wrong.

It's not Florida but at least you can get a decent cup of tea !

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Blackpool have posted these shots of the immelman being completed. Plus, with the camera in the first shot, we might get a little construction video at some point!
24991090_10155922714857365_3794395643502809371_n.jpg
24991172_10155922715847365_4830810755054706813_n.jpg
25152305_10155922716462365_8125424752187073231_n.jpg
24991282_10155922716657365_1840414784140070775_n.jpg
24899806_10155922744217365_4560110883058618452_n.jpg

I'm really digging some of the creative supporting Mack have had to come up with, especially the main immelman one in the last picture.

I want it, and I want it now.

In fairness I've only ridden 1 Mack Mega, the original, Blue Fire. I'd like to take time out and try all of them but that would end up being a very expensive holiday. I have for example visited Liseberg, but before it was cool :cool:

That's why I'm so excited about Icon. Having a Mack Mega in Britain not only makes it easy for us to visit one but also means I can talk about them with my non-enthusiast friends and they'll actually get what I'm going on about :eek:
Not to mention that Icon is a similar scale to Helix! Finally Blackpool has something to put them back on the map.

As for the restraint I don't think anything is as good as B&M's Clamshells but Macks are the best I've experienced on an inverting coaster, something B&M don't use their Clamshells for.