• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Dollywood: General Discussion

It can't be that if Alton are getting the world's first launched RMC in the valley!

An update from Pigeon Forge TN Guide:
Pigeon Forge TN Guide said:
After a couple of weeks of practically nothing happening on the hill and sources going “dark” on us, we swung by Dollywood today and got some new info along with some pics of the action! First off, it looks as if surveyors have been hired because there are new markers lining the middle of the paths going up the hill…PLUS, an excavator was working the top of the hill today (as shown in the pic below)! Yes, work has officially continued on the hill (more info on that below).

Alright, let’s get to the juicy stuff. I spoke with a couple of people today that I’ll keep anonymous, but they are more-in-the-know than most. I am, however, the tiniest bit reserved on the accuracy of the info only because they aren’t directly “working” on the coaster itself. With that said, here’s the new info I received.
  • Let’s get this out of the way first off…work has continued on the hill! The pic to the right shows an excavator at the very top of the hill and it was busy moving dirt all day today. As mentioned before, new survey markers are lined up the middle of the cleared paths, which leads us to assume RMC has their surveyors and work has been able to move forward, which means we’ll see MAJOR changes within the next month on the hill!
  • I saw some blueprints…and good GRIEF is it a set of blueprints. Let’s just say that when they were rolled up, it looked like a roll of carpet that the foreman had to throw on his shoulder to carry. My grandfather owned a construction company that built many of the buildings in Pigeon Forge and I have never seen a set of blueprints like this. Soooooo many details…this new attraction is going to be incredible.
  • The new coaster will be a HYBRID…a mix of steel and wood. I’m told there is a bunch of wood (and other materials) already on-site with RMC info on it. I couldn’t get more details about the construction other than “hybrid” and a smile…so I’m holding off “confirming” the track type and such, but if there is a “bunch of wood” onsite, my assumption is a wood construction with a steel track such as RMC’s IBox track…but we’ll find out for sure on August 7…if not sooner. When I asked if it was indeed RMC, the reply was “Well, that’s who is back there right now!”
  • It was mentioned that the employee building you see to the right of the hill will be removed and the track will use more of that hill than what is currently cleared. Personally, I’m skeptical on this simply because I can’t see Dollywood putting riders so close to employee roads, parking, etc. They like to keep everything within a theme and it’s just hard to see them putting people “behind the scenes” so to speak. BUT, I’m adding this simply because of the confidence of the person that told me.
  • I can confirm that there is a lot more clearing and work done that what you can see from most pictures posted of the “front” of the hill. I’m not posting pics simply because it’s not something that can be seen by the general public and pics such as that have historically gotten people into hot water for sharing, which is not something I care to deal with over this…so you’re just going to have to trust me as I can 100% confirm that what you see from the 50’s section is just a fraction of the work that has been done so far on “the hill”. Let’s just say it will be a fun layout!
  • Finally, here’s a pano of the construction today on July 7. There were a lot of workers incredibly busy on numerous aspects of the project. Needless to say, we’re going to see a LOT of changes between now and the announcement!
dollywood-excavator.jpg

dollywood-shot-rod-pano-1024x455.jpg

Not long until we know exactly what we're getting now!

:)

Looks like a great piece of terrain to build a coaster on, it should work well like it should on Wildfire.

This screenshot has been going around a few sites over the last few hours:

file.php

Looks as if the launched RMC is pretty much confirmed.

Dollywood's DreamMore Resort has now opened to the public! Here's the press release from the park:
Dollywood said:
PIGEON FORGE, Tenn. (July 27, 2015) – The Dollywood Company’s most anticipated project to date, Dollywood’s DreamMore ResortTM, opens its doors Monday, July 27, creating a new chapter in the famed company’s 30-year history.

Fittingly, Dolly Parton’s dream of adding a resort to the fun and excitement of her Smoky Mountain theme park offerings comes true during Dollywood’s 30th anniversary season.

“Seeing DreamMore Resort open really is a dream come true for me,” Parton said. “It brings me back to when my whole family would get together on the front porch catching up and swapping stories. I want families to spend the day experiencing the fun of our parks, then come to this beautiful resort to spend time together making even more family memories!”

“Everyone at The Dollywood Company has greatly anticipated our opening day since this project was announced in August 2013,” said Kevin Osborn, Dollywood’s DreamMore Resort’s general manager. “Countless people have put so much heart and effort in to this beautiful resort; to see it standing and ready to welcome visitors fills us all with an amazing feeling of accomplishment. We’re ready to help our guests make family memories they’ll share for a lifetime.”

Thanks to unique Dollywood park privileges—including free transportation to both Dollywood and Dollywood’s Splash Country, front-of-the-line access at Dollywood with a free TimeSaver pass for each guest, early Saturday entrance for guests at Dollywood, and much more—Dollywood’s DreamMore Resort is the ideal location for guests seeking a fun-filled Smoky Mountains vacation destination.

The spectacular guest arrival experience includes an impressive fountain inspired by Parton’s Dream More book and a stately porte-cochère that offers a hint of the beauty visitors find inside. Families then are greeted by the resort doorman who is ready to entertain and delight the property’s newest guests. Upon entering the magnificent lobby, guests are welcomed with an unparalleled view of the Great Smoky Mountains through the resort’s extraordinary three-story-tall picture windows. The ceilings are painted a warm blue that perfectly suits the atmosphere guests of Dollywood’s DreamMore Resort enjoy throughout their stay.

The resort closely mirrors the experience found at Dollywood, the three-time winner of Amusement Today’s World’s Friendliest Theme Park. Live entertainment offerings throughout the year allow visitors to enjoy quality programming during their stay, while Song & Hearth, the resort’s farmhouse-inspired restaurant, provides delectable home-style dishes served up with a side of Southern hospitality for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Guests are encouraged to spend time laughing and creating memories in this welcoming family environment. Through unique amenities like storytelling spots, kid’s play areas, an event lawn and porches lined with rocking chairs, Dollywood’s DreamMore Resort becomes the perfect setting for truly connecting with loved ones. Premium facilities including indoor and outdoor pools, landscaped gardens, and spa offer fun for every member of the family. Beautiful meeting space for groups, special events and family reunions adds another unique facet to this amazing facility.

Additionally, Dollywood’s DreamMore Resort’s close proximity to Great Smoky Mountains National Park, the most visited national park in the country, allows guests the opportunity to explore the park’s beauty via its plentiful hiking and biking trails, auto tours, wildlife viewing areas and educational programs.

thumb_unnamed_9.jpg

Nice list of perks for those staying as well:
  • Wait Less in Lines- Reserve access at select Dollywood rides, shows and attractions with a complimentary TimeSaver Pass to hold your place in line – up to $25 value per guest per day.
  • Early Saturday Entry- Experience some of your favorite rides first at Dollywood Theme Park and Dollywood’s Splash Country on Saturday mornings.
  • Complimentary Door-to-Door Transportation - Enjoy our convenient resort shuttle to Dollywood parks.
  • Exclusive Entry - Use the special resort guests-only entrance at Dollywood parks.
  • Complimentary Package Delivery - Take advantage of in-room delivery for Dollywood parks’ shopping purchases.
  • Best Price Guarantee - Guaranteed lowest online price for Dollywood’s DreamMore Resort rooms as well as park tickets.
  • Resort perks - Enjoy complimentary Wi-Fi, exclusive resort entertainment and dining experiences, and complimentary resort parking.
Looks good!

In 2016 coaster news, Dollywood will be announcing it on the morning on Friday 7th August. I'm very excited to find out more!

So the announcement has been live for about 15 minutes and we now know that in 2016 Dollywood are opening Lightning Rod!

The worlds first launched wooden coaster and also the worlds fastest wooden coaster. The ride launches at 1500 horsepower on a 45mph launch up a 20 story lift hill, followed by a 165ft first drop at 73º reaching a top speed of 73mph, along a 3/4 mile track with 12 substantial moments of air time!

lightning-rod.jpg

Image courtesy of 'Coaster101.com'

Interestingly, Lightning Rod will be the first RMC coaster since New Texas Giant that does not feature and inversions, however it does have two 90º banked turns, one of which is outwards facing along with a 'Non Inverting Half Loop' element!

All in all the ride looks incredibly exciting and will be yet another fantastic addition to the already strong lineup at Dollywood!

Last edited:
Worlds first launched wooden coaster and worlds fastest wooden coaster confirmed!! :D
Dolly Parton Entertainment said:
Dollywood Adds World's Fastest Wood Roller Coaster For 2016
Dollywood today announced the addition of Lightning Rod, both the world’s fastest wood coaster and the world’s first launching wood coaster. Set to roll to the starting line in March 2016, Lightning Rod adds another groundbreaking roller coaster to the park’s already impressive portfolio of world-class attractions. The thrilling $22 million ride also marks the single largest attraction investment in The Dollywood Company’s history.

Themed after a tricked out 1950s-era hot rod, Lightning Rod launches riders from zero to 45 mph more than 20 stories up its lift hill to one of the ride’s first airtime moments. At the crest of the hill, riders face twin summit airtime hills before tackling the daring first drop. Lightning Rod races down the 165-foot drop and propels guests along its 3,800-ft. track to a top speed of 73 mph, the fastest speed for a wood coaster in the world.

“Lightning Rod reminds me so much of those colorful cars cruisin’ up and down Main Street in downtown Sevierville back when I was in high school. I remember all those souped up cars; but what I remember most were those good lookin’ boys behind the wheel with those flat top and ducktail haircuts,” Dolly Parton said with a laugh.

“I’m truly excited about this ride because it will let our guests experience something just as fast as those hot rods I remember,” she continued. “Even better, it’s the fastest wooden roller coaster in the world, so I think we’re going to see a lot of people coming from all over to peel out on the Lightning Rod.”

Located in Dollywood’s Jukebox Junction, Lightning Rod rockets riders around its massive wooden structure on an adrenaline-charged lap through the trees in the hills and valleys surrounding Dollywood. During the ride, guests experience nearly 20 seconds of airtime. The coaster train is comprised of 12 cars, carrying two passengers each, for a total of 24 people per train.

Dollywood’s development team has tapped Rocky Mountain Construction (RMC) as the ride manufacturer. RMC is no stranger to out-of-the-box coaster projects, having designed a number of innovative attractions around the world. Lightning Rod employs several unique features including the lift hill launch, twin summit airtime hills, a 90+ degree banked breaking wave turn, a 90+ degree outside banked turn, and a non-inverting half loop.

Lightning Rod puts riders in the driver’s seat of Johnny Rev’s newest hot rod. After months of tinkering, Johnny invites Dollywood guests to step behind the wheel for the first test drive of his flashy new creation. Like any proper hot rod, massive header pipes and an imposing injector scoop peer out from the train’s flamed bodywork.

Lightning Rod is the newest member of The Dollywood Company’s collection of award-winning attractions. In March 2012, Dollywood opened the $20 million Wild Eagle, the country’s first wing coaster. The company introduced RiverRush, Tennessee’s first and only water coaster, at Dollywood’s Splash Country in 2013. FireChaser Express, the nation’s first dual-launch family coaster, was added at Dollywood in 2014. Dollywood mainstays Thunderhead, consistently among the world’s top five wood coasters, Mystery Mine, Blazing Fury and Tennessee Tornado round out the park’s list of innovative coasters.

For more information about Dollywood’s attractions, please visit http://www.Dollywood.com or call 1-800-DOLLYWOOD.

More Details soon...
Source

Not got any videos or images yet but I have watched some of the live stream and the layout looks nothing short of epic! Airtime airtime airtime! Looks like there is a quadruple drop!

Dolly! <3

American park builds woody. That's about as exciting as an Italian park opening a pizzaria.

Here is the video:

And some images:

drop.ashx

fast-shot.ashx

launch.ashx

I cannot wait to ride this one day!

EDIT:

Some layout shots:

20185489560_1f9c45b330_c.jpg

thumb_11845890_10207391829176001_1544678807_n.jpg

Last edited:
This looks great. It must possess a hell of a lot of kinetic energy to make it round a non-inverting loop of that size so late in the course!

So...How much are flights from the UK to Dollywood's nearest airport? :p

This looks stunning. Must ride it when it opens!

It's not much but some photos over on TPR show that the first bits of track are now up:

thumb_image_12986.jpg

thumb_image_12983.jpg