• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges (Cancelled)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges

They won't go that cheap as it would intrude on the local B&B trade which they have a gentleman's agreement not to intrude upon (as they depend on the local hoteliers to support their plans).

But the hotels vary from £25 to £60pppn depending, so 25% less for the lodges would be ideal.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

It would be great to see them the cheaper accomadation on park but knowing merlin after thorpes shipping containers and they are new I would think they would be between £50 and £75 per person hopefully not though :)

£50 to £75? That's more than the resort hotels.

Have some reason, here.

;D

There's not a cat in hells chance they will be cheaper than the hotels.

The hotel rooms are little more than a glorified Travelodge barely bigger than a shoebox and with no self catering option at all. These will be proper standalone units with various living spaces inside all in a fully themed environment.

You need your head testing if you think either existing hotel is anywhere near "luxury". They are basic 3* with theming stuck on top.

£200 a night easily in off peak for the standard lodges.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
The hotel rooms are little more than a glorified Travelodge barely bigger than a shoebox and with no self catering option at all.

No more than a glorified Travelodge? That's rubbish, the hotels at Towers are lovely. And the rooms compare favourably with rooms I have stayed in at both Disney and EP.

:)

Rob said:
CoasterCrazyChris said:
The hotel rooms are little more than a glorified Travelodge barely bigger than a shoebox and with no self catering option at all.

No more than a glorified Travelodge? That's rubbish, the hotels at Towers are lovely. And the rooms compare favourably with rooms I have stayed in at both Disney and EP.

:)

I am talking about actual substance - not theming and decoration.

There are NO free facilities included in the price. The bathrooms in ATH are below the standard of even the most budget accommodation and the rooms are about the same size too.

I fail to see how the hotel rooms could possibly be better than the lodges.

I'm sorry but the Lodges will surely be more expensive than the Hotels, just like buying a detached house is more expensive than a semi-detached or a terrace house. You pay for the isolation from everybody else. Also, if there are only 5 holes (which I don't think are very widely spread) you pay for the individuality of the holes.

Maybe I am missing the point of the lodges... I just assumed due to their nature and comparing with similar developments abroad that these will be slightly cheaper than the hotels.

We'll find out in 2014, I guess.

Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges

I expect they will be priced similarly to the hotels. I can't imagine Alton Towers offering them as a cheaper alternative to the hotels. The likes of Center Parcs and other forest lodge accommodation don't come cheap (unless they are off peak) and I imagine they will market them as a higher end version of this (albeit there will be no similar facilities and activities to offer).

Honestly, Dan... Merlin offering a cheaper option? ;D ;D ;D ;D :-* :p

... Oh wait, you're serious. Bless.

AstroDan said:
Maybe I am missing the point of the lodges... I just assumed due to their nature and comparing with similar developments abroad that these will be slightly cheaper than the hotels.

If you mean the camping at Europa, I can see the similarities, but at EP they are meant to be pure basics, with a bit of luxury, as you are on a camp site. This is going to be a holiday village sort of thing, they are designed to be more luxurious, and less basic and it's not meant to be a camp site.

I'm not referring to those. I'm referring to self catered such as Efteling Bosrijk, which is priced under their hotel. By no means budget, but to me these look more basic than the hotels.

I regard these as one up on Heide Park's holiday camp.

If these are more than the hotels I will be very disappointed.

Sazzle said:
Well if the new accommodation isn't marketed as budget, then I'd like to see the hotel prices come down! I can't imagine full capacity will be reached if the prices remain at their current levels across the board.

I've never stayed in a Center Parcs, but I would think they have a much wider variety of activities, eateries and leisure facilities available? Anyway, just out of interest, I've looked up a Friday to Monday (3 nights) stay at Sherwood Forest, beginning on 5th July 2013. Its showing me availability for a two bed villa and is priced at £419. Amenities include:

Center Parcs said:
Typical Amenities
• Double bed x 1 • Twin beds x 1 • Open fireplace• Multi channel TV • Private patio area • Outdoor furniture • Bathroom with over the bath shower • Gas oven and hob • Fridge • Microwave • Cot and high chair

List of on-site eateries etc

List of on-site activities

Now I know Towers have this amazing theme park (right?), a (small) spa and a waterpark, but what can they offer in terms of evening entertainment, variety of places to eat, activities outside of the park/waterpark/spa?

In essence I guess what I'm digging at, is that a weekend stay at Center Parcs in similar accommodation with a lot more to offer re: overall package, is quite cheap as it is. Towers surely can't justifiably price these new lodges/holes/huts any higher than this?

Saz but you have to pay extra for the activities apart from the Subtropical Swimming Paradise, and the activities can be quite expensive, getting into Sherwood's version of the spa is way more than Towers. I know this site very well after going numerous times throughout my life as well as my parents knowing the UK Operations Director. Merlin and Center Parcs are both funded by Blackstone, Center Parcs are amazing places but the Villas that haven't been refurbed yet are very 80's/90's and they are leaving the cheapest to last. I have been to 3 out of the four sites in the UK, with Longleat the only one I have not stayed at. I like the Windfell Forest sites accommodation the best as it wasn't actually built by Center Parcs it was built by Oasis, the previous owners, they are lovely log cabins built to a very high standard and aren't the typical Center Parcs concrete ones. I agree Towers do need more activities but what though? It's a different market to Center Parcs at the end of the day and Blackstone won't want to invest in basically making Towers a Center Parcs with a theme park it doesn't make business sense.

Natalie said:
Sazzle said:
Well if the new accommodation isn't marketed as budget, then I'd like to see the hotel prices come down! I can't imagine full capacity will be reached if the prices remain at their current levels across the board.

I've never stayed in a Center Parcs, but I would think they have a much wider variety of activities, eateries and leisure facilities available? Anyway, just out of interest, I've looked up a Friday to Monday (3 nights) stay at Sherwood Forest, beginning on 5th July 2013. Its showing me availability for a two bed villa and is priced at £419. Amenities include:

Center Parcs said:
Typical Amenities
• Double bed x 1 • Twin beds x 1 • Open fireplace• Multi channel TV • Private patio area • Outdoor furniture • Bathroom with over the bath shower • Gas oven and hob • Fridge • Microwave • Cot and high chair

List of on-site eateries etc

List of on-site activities

Now I know Towers have this amazing theme park (right?), a (small) spa and a waterpark, but what can they offer in terms of evening entertainment, variety of places to eat, activities outside of the park/waterpark/spa?

In essence I guess what I'm digging at, is that a weekend stay at Center Parcs in similar accommodation with a lot more to offer re: overall package, is quite cheap as it is. Towers surely can't justifiably price these new lodges/holes/huts any higher than this?

Saz but you have to pay extra for the activities apart from the Subtropical Swimming Paradise

Just a point though, for resort guests isn't Alton Towers very much like Center Parcs in that way? The hotel is sold B&B only for the majority of the year meaning guests have to buy tickets to what they want to visit, so the theme park, the Spa, Extraordianary Golf and also Cariba Creek.

Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges

I would have thought that these lodges may be priced in a more 'Center Parcs' kind of way than as a budget option. Or at least budget compared to the hotels... I think that these will be more expensive and the increased capacity will push hotel prices down a tad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Btw I don't know if anyone does know this but their are log cabins near by between team and cheadle.

I expect they will be priced similarly to the hotels for their first few months, and how pricing adjusts beyond that will be entirely dependent on their performance.

I can't see the hotel prices falling at all, unless for some reason people start abandoning the hotel in droves for the resort village.

It really wouldn't surprise me if the resort village was closed during its first closed season (apart from Christmas).

Prices should fall slightly as UK hotel prices follow an occupancy pricing model and Towers is the same. The reason the hotels are more expensive now is because their occupancy rates are higher than they used to be and room occupancy is more important than a high profit margin per room as hotels tend to make their profit on extra services.

Hopefully by increasing capacity occupancy % will drop and so will the price, at least for a few seasons.

Have there been any more developments with the lodges?
It's all gone a little quiet...

I do hope Towers haven't forgot about the lodges with The Smiler being delayed. ;)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.