• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

PortAventura World: Ferrari Land

Got another one - 'Speed - The Ride' at Nascar Café in Las Vegas had (I believe it's now been removed, having been SBNO since 2011) an acceleration rate of 10.06m/s², despite a top speed of only 45mph. Guess it doesn't count, though, given that it doesn't exist any longer. :p

Atlantis Adventure, Lotte World, South Korea - 13.89m/s²
Dragon Legend, Romon-U Park, China - 11.80m/s²
Junker, Power Land, Finland - 15.27m/s²
Shock, Rainbow MagicLand, Italy - 10.55m/s²
Superman: Escape from Krypton, SFMM (also Tower of Terror II, Dreamworld, Australia) - 6.39m/s² (quite a bit slower than the others, but included as a bit of a reference point)
Takabisha, Fuji-Q Highland, Japan - 13.88m/s²
Yamaha Racing Coaster, Trans Studio Indoor Theme Park, Indonesia - 13.88m/s²)

Yeah, I kinda got a bit bored and did some trawling through RCDB. :p

So...good effort Ferrari/Intamin but it seems the acceleration of this is somewhat of a relative embarrassment ;)
  1. Dodonpa - 26.55m/s²
  2. Fluch von Novgorod - 19.82m/s²
  3. Stealth - 18.82m/s²
  4. Formula Rossa - 16.66m/s²
  5. Kingda Ka - 16.35m/s²
  6. Storm Runner - 16.0m/s²
  7. Xcelerator - 15.9m/s²
  8. Karacho - 15.61m/s²
  9. Junker - 15.27m/s²
  10. Atlantis Adventure - 13.89m/s²
  11. Takabisha - 13.88m/s²
  12. Yamaha Racing Coaster - 13.88m/s²
  13. Superman Escape - 13.8m/s²
  14. Top Thrill Dragster - 13.41m/s²
  15. iSpeed - 12.61m/s²
  16. Revenge of the Mummy - 11.92m/s²
  17. Dragon Legend - 11.80m/s²
  18. Blue Fire - 11.10m/s²
  19. Lynet - 11.10m/s²
  20. Rita - 10.92m/s²
  21. Furius Baco - 10.71m/s²
  22. Speed Monster - 10.70m/s²
  23. Shock - 10.55m/s²
  24. Kanonen - 10.4m/s²
  25. PA Ferrari Land coaster - 10.00m/s²
EDIT - Even the indoor Revenge of the Mummy in Universal Studios Hollywood (and presumably the one in Orlando, although I couldn't find the speed over time for that) beats the Ferrari Land coaster at 11.92m/s²!

Kanonen @ 10.4m/s²
Speed Monster @ 10.7m/s²
Anubis @ between 9.7 - 12m/s² depending on how fast it's going when it reaches the rolling launch

Can we stop yet? It's getting embarrassing :p

Taking this topic, OFF TOPIC, where it so obviously now belongs with this frankly embarrassing statistical farce for "Ferrari" - who wants to ride Dodonnopnopppa?

Anyone remember my post about it really being FIAT lol?

Really, they were meant as jokes.

THEY WEREN'T INSTRUCTIONS INTAMIN!!

Just to add, before anyone tries to defend this crap.

Ferrari is about GOING FAST, and GETTING THERE QUICKLY... NOT HIGH. NO where in a Ferrari brochure will you find

"We go quite quickly, but it takes a while, but my goodness me, our cars go high".

Kanonen @ 10.4m/s²
Speed Monster @ 10.7m/s²
Anubis @ between 9.7 - 12m/s² depending on how fast it's going when it reaches the rolling launch

Can we stop yet? It's getting embarrassing :p

I didn't even bother to look at Kanonen, I just presumed it would be slower! List updated at the top though. In 25th is Europe's most exciting and fastest launch coaster ;)

Remember guys, Intamin have seemingly ditched their hydraulic launch system. So as far as progress goes, we've probably already reached the summit.

Normally I'd agree with you about people being armchair experts, but in this case there's actual photographic evidence that it's not straight. I'm sure there'll be some footer shifting and bolt torquing to correct it, but at the moment it looks laughable! :p

But as people have already pointed out, the Salou sun makes images distorted, this is pretty standard in sunny climates, Intamin wouldn't build a wonky track on a brand new coaster, I know a lot of people on this forum like to ridicule PortAventura at every opportunity but this coaster does look impressive, to say that there is no interest in this coaster (the original post I was responding to) really isn't true, hence why this discussion is so lively.

I think the interest is only because the addition is seemingly being constructed poorly (one thing not pointed out was the lack of welding on the transfer track), and how pointless an addition it appears to be... The heat distortion argument can only go so far when even close up pictures show some warping occurring...

One thing these lists say to me is that LSM launches can provide a great level of acceleration as well, though that's probably more down to train weight (or lack thereof) rather than the system...

But as people have already pointed out, the Salou sun makes images distorted, this is pretty standard in sunny climates, Intamin wouldn't build a wonky track on a brand new coaster, I know a lot of people on this forum like to ridicule PortAventura at every opportunity but this coaster does look impressive, to say that there is no interest in this coaster (the original post I was responding to) really isn't true, hence why this discussion is so lively.

I don't know, I don't think the discussion is really *that* lively, certainly not in a positive way. I guess it's because this coaster is merely a larger Stealth without the hill, or a smaller Top Thrill Dragster. It isn't really doing anything that is unique.

Things like Helix and Taron are unique, special creations whereas this is just by the book.

Reactions: Ted
I also think this project is a bit dull when you take into account how complex Helix's and Taron's designs which creates an interesting discussion (and the latter for its theming).

I don't know, I don't think the discussion is really *that* lively, certainly not in a positive way. I guess it's because this coaster is merely a larger Stealth without the hill, or a smaller Top Thrill Dragster. It isn't really doing anything that is unique.

I think the detailed literal scientific analysis of the launch speeds prove it's not even close to Stealth/TTD in terms of force.

If Stealth didn't have that now confirmed powerful launch, it wouldn't be half as interesting.

This coaster looks as impressive as Towers ride line up this year.

Reactions: Ted
On the topic of the acceleration, apparently a press release went out a few days ago in which the director at PA mentioned the coaster would have in acceleration of 1.35g (In the second paragraph of this article if anyones interested, it's in Spanish though).
Given how the magnets are set up on the Launch track (a large cluster of them towards the start then a lot more spread out towards the end), it makes me think the 5 second acceleration time is coming from the time it takes to clear the launch track, not so much getting up to speed, or it's not a constant acceleration rate.
th720_146e008c18caf49af4ca6a946bfabac6.jpg

I'm shocked: that bit looks fairly straight! I guess they've figured out how to get rid of heat distortion in the pictures :p

I think you're right about the constant acceleration, spreading the fins out probably helps reduce power consumption as well?

I think I'd be more interested in this ride if it wasn't for what comes after the top hat. I just can't take this thing seriously because of that. Christ I'd take it more seriously if it just went in to brakes like Dragster.

Ten years ago when these coasters were cutting edge, I could forgive them being nothing but top hat. But now it's just a criminal waste of potential energy.

Will have a nice view from the top though.

And with how slow it goes you'll have enough time to enjoy it. :D