• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Whats the obsession with wanting to know whatever it does this early on in the development?

Sure, it's fun to have hearsay and speculations, but for a site to just go and say what they strongly believe it will be, is just boring and takes the whole fun out of the developments and discussions?

Not sure about this rumour myself, don't particularly care if i'm honest. Just don't agree with people trying to spoil the fun!

The idea of rotating in such a way does not sound pleasant.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I can believe the rumor to be honest, and think it would 'sell', but have serious worries about the throughput, we were talking 900pph max with standard e-fighter cars anyway, but with the trick track rotating 7+ times, having to park etc etc, gosh this could be less than 700pph...

The only way around this maybe;

have 2x trick track sections, air style.
have 3 inversions at start and 4 at end. (again 2 x t/track)
have larger cars, but as Tim said, rumor is that its standard e-fighter cars. ?
have 2 x cars on the t/track
have more cars on track using this section as a pre-show element.

Still so much to go wrong though, and I agree with those questioning the downtime (possible) issues.

Don't like the sound of a glass-bottomed floor to allow people in the store above to see what's going on in the ride area below them. It comes across as some sort of ploy on Merlin's half to get people in the store for longer periods of time in hope that they might take in some of the merchandise and decide to buy something. Also, the shop could get a little crowded if the view is decent. :p

But does X-Sector need another shop selling merchandise when we already have X-Sell at Oblivion's exit? Forbidden Valley, Katanga Canyon, Mutiny Bay, Cloud Cukoo Land, Gloomy Wood and Towers Street all only have one main merchandise store, although the Dark Forest has one small shop... stall thing opposite Rita and a shipping container at the end of Th13teen. No doubt that people riding SW7 will also ride Oblivion, so I don't think X-Sector really requires another shop selling tat. :p

Can we stop having a go at TowersTimes, they have made a decision to release this which is always a tricky decision to make. Naturally websites like TT TS and TN get given Information from sources all the time and it is a tricky one to call. Obviously we had the Subs and Ents closure and reduced opening hours that we released back when we where on TT and that was a tricky decision to make as you risk your reputation if your source is wrong. There is also the classic Shrek incident where we on TT posted that news and the The park dropped the project, leading a lot of other sites to say we where making it up (which we didn't). So it's never an easy call to make.

As for myself a large part of this doesn't ring true to me, I genuinely don't believe we will see that description of SW7 come to light in March. But that's the excitement in all of this... We just have to wait and see.

Basically, they simply need to do a better job of keeping things under wraps - if this does turn out to be accurate.

What's being reported is pretty vague to me.

The only problem with the trick track system is imagining the forces you'd get riding it! :| I highly doubt it would be that enjoyable at all. Plus they would need a massive system in place, with many fail safes and something that can hold the weight of trains and guests. It's a simple idea, but something that would cost way over what Alon Towers could afford to create. It would be 10x more complicated than Th13teen's drop system that's for sure - and we all know how complicated that system is!

The most obvious problem is throughput too, given this an Euro Fighter, a ride type that is already pretty low with throughputs I honestly cannot see Alton Towers creating such an element, especially given that Alton Towers aim high with throughputs on their Secret Weapons.

I'm still taking a pinch of salt with the information posted by TT. I don't believe we'll see a trick track put in place on SW7. I'm confident Alton Towers will have a surprise inside the building, however a trick track I doubt will be the surprise ahead of us.

Time will tell though. Much like any other articles in the past that state no specific sources it's up to members whether they believe it or not. :)

I myself do not believe everything in that article will come to be true. I'm staying with a heap of salt.

I think at this point, many things people report will be hearsay.
I myself think if it's untrue it'll be as awkward as when Sanbrooke once announced that he had confirmed information that SW6 was going to be by B&M, and released it onto youtube. lol.
But all in all, I can't comment on TT's information and how they talk. Don't take this the wrong way, but I just see that site as an alternative to this one, but just like carbon copies of each other. I'm sure they could say TS is wrong about this, or shouldn't say this etc etc etc.
All in all can't everyone just get on?
Anyway, I know various things about the new ride, but I will never tell. Do I have reliable sources yes. Do I care about being able to say I know this and this and this before many others? Not Really. I'm here to have fun and talk about Alton Towers. And now that I know many things about the ride, I'd rather I didn't, I would prefer not knowing some of the things I do as it would seem a lot more unpredictable and cool when I ride it.

*Rant over*

So am I right in saying that this "apparent" secret element that TT are reporting is just a Slammer style contraption but underground, sat in a ride car and attached to a rollercoaster? It sounds pretty cool - but painful.

But, for those saying that it doesnt matter what this gimmick is because it is attached to a solid coaster.....the information (if true) that it will have standard Eurofighter cars is worrying because we could just end up with another SAW and therefore the eight traditional inversions and long length of the ride will actually count against the ride and be practically unendurable.

There is no evidence yet that this won't be a SAW with extra inversions and a gimmick.

Been lurking here since it opened, and I have decided to jump in the deep end...hurrah!

Personally, I love the idea. I think it'd be a pretty cool feature and something I'd actually enjoy rather than a disappointing drop.

The problem I have (If it is true, which I have mixed feelings over) is Merlin's history of having to neuter plans because they don't have the cash. I hope that if this does end up being the feature they're smart enough to use everything they've got to make sure it really does make for a Secret Weapon. This, followed by questions of throughput (I hope there'll be two trick sections...) and the forces it would produce make for a bewildering little idea.

I'd love for the trick to be met head on by the creepy logo that pivots around a single eye, it could make for one of those 'crawling skin' tricks.

If this does end up true, I'm cautiously optimistic. But it'll need to be done..well, right. If it's not properly themed it won't be a very effective experience.

The Psychoaster said:
I think this is a very interesting idea, even if completely untrue it's brought this topic back to life with speculation beyond the usual weekly pictures of mud being transported around. I think a madhouse concept could work here, with the track rotating, however the scenery around the track acting in such a way that your mind is confused and perhaps you look as though you aren't moving at all.

if the promo vid is actually going to have anything to do with the ride, this could relate to the 'scary images being flashed up, getting more intense'

I like the idea of a glass floor, but i would have it in the queue line. It would be great to have a coaster fly under your feet, add a strobe to get that weird and scary affect.

Ok, maybe the strobe lighting would be a problem for some would be riders.

Anyone remember nightmare niagra at AA? They had a rotating tunnel on the final drop but it got turned off due to people feeling sick after passing through it. Perhaps it would not be a great idea to have such a part at the start of the ride and it is fact at the end?

Also I didn't expect the track to flip forward like slammer, I expected it to rotate sideways which would be a lot easier to maintain etc

Following on from this video released by Alton a few days ago. Today Alton Towers have released this press statement to accompany the video. The press release mentions the new scare maze for 2012, The Sanctuary and also mentions SW7. Interestingly, the press release states SW7 as a 'world-first' roller coaster, not 'world beating' as stated on posters around the park and resort.

Alton Towers said:
Alton Towers Resort put the bravery of Londoners to the test ahead of the opening of The Sanctuary - its most disturbing scare maze to date this Scarefest.

Alton Towers Resort put the bravery of Londoners to the test ahead of the opening of The Sanctuary - its most disturbing scare maze ever, opening on October 13th at the Resort’s annual Scarefest event.

Commuters on London’s Southbank were stopped in their tracks by staff from The Sanctuary, this year’s newest scare maze themed around a medical facility recently re-opened for the first time in 50 years. The sinister medics, whose bedside manner was anything but comforting, recruited members of the public to undergo a ‘fear test’ in an attempt to gauge the nation’s fear threshold.

Bemused passers-by were subjected to a series of unnerving images including scenes of suspense, brainwashing, and the supernatural. When participants were asked which sections of the video did they find the most disturbing, the answer was surprisingly the scenes of brainwashing.

Lindsey Steele, an administration assistant from Clapton commented: “I found the brainwashing element quite eerie and sinister. There was plenty of footage which made me jump which was pleasant, but the idea of someone or something that I can’t see controlling me really creeps me out.”

The findings will be analysed and incorporated within the new scare maze. The Sanctuary is a recently re-opened establishment where a force known only as the Ministry of Joy will launch a series of trials on the public, recruiting advocates for a new project to be unveiled in 2013. The results from the tests will also be used to finalise elements of a new world-first rollercoaster, due to open in March 2013 at the Alton Towers Resort.

Ben Dowson, project designer for Merlin Magic Makers who is responsible for designing and developing the new 2013 ride at Alton Towers Resort commented, “The idea of an unseen ‘controlling force’ is a really interesting insight that we would be keen to incorporate into both The Sanctuary, and our March 2013 rollercoaster. The Sanctuary is going to give guests a taster of what is to come in 2013 so we want of these attractions to offer our guests the most thrilling experience possible, not just for your body but also for your mind. These tests are crucial in helping us identify what people find the most disturbing.

Scarefest 2012 will also see the return of old favourites including Terror of the Towers and travelling circus Carnival of Screams. With the theme park open until 9pm every night, guests can also experience a host of adrenalin pumping rides and attractions in the dark! Scarefest runs from 13-14th and 19-31st October at the Alton Towers Resort. For more information and to save up to 25% on Scarefest tickets, visit www.altontowers.com.

For more details on the world-first rollercoaster coming to Alton Towers Resort in 2013 visit www.altontowers.com/2013.

ATR_04.jpg

Well all this speculation and rumours have certainly lifted the topic of conversation in the forums which is great :)

I'am keeping a clear mind on all of the information TS have released, i can see this steadily making it's way down the same path as Th13een as far as the rumours go, which i have to say only lead me to major disappointment come opening day. Not saying that Th13een is a bad ride beacause it isn't, it was just down to reading a lot of the rumours travelling around on various forums and Facebook fan pages that allowed me to build an image up in my head of what the ride would be like once completed and as we all no it wasn't how it'd be made out to be. You could say that the simple way to fix that problem is to stop reading the forums if i'am so easily lead into believing things.....well that won't be happening, i check this baby every 30 mins to see what new photo's and info we have on construction :p If anything i've learnt a valuable lesson from that whole experience, and thats not to take everything you hear to seriously as if it's not true it only ends in one way.....disappointment :(

Now to SW7. I've had the idea of this rotating track piece in my head since the plans was released and i think it's right down Alton's street, as we know, they love to do things that have never been done before, out of the ordinary, weird and wacky never before seen "world first" attractions, so i can see this information been pretty plausible for SW7 to include a kind of trick track section, it's certainly a possibility. Do i want this to happen ? Not fussed really, i'am more towards Alton having a standard coaster with no gimmicks, just a crazy a** layout, inversion after inversion, and some great g forces, something that will give my beloved Nemesis a run for her money :D

The last thing i want to say is, i don't believe we will see standard Gerstlauer trains on SW7! I think a new train design is on the cards, maybe something holding double the capacity of a standard train ? ( i.e. Saw The Ride, Speed, Rage ). A train of 2 rows of 4 ( 8 in total ) just won't be enough for the amount of customers this ride will draw in.

PS- Please please please let the glass floor rumour be true, it'd be the coolest thing ever *Prays*

I've not seen this mentioned by anyone yet, but the 'upside down' inversion record would need to be at least 15, because Eejanaika flips rides upside down 14 times.

If they chase the inversion record with a moving piece of track, I think that'd be pretty lame. However I find this extremely unlikely due to being too hard to implement. It would surely slow down throughput too much. Flipping people upside down in darkness seems like too much for too many people to take in terms of nausia, I doubt the park would go down that route at all.

I think we will have the inversion trick track as a worlds first but not the inversion record!
It would be very risky to tip riders upside down at least 7/8 times, destroy any chance of a good put-through and reliability just for a record which would be most likely be beaten in a couple of year's time :)
I do like the idea of this worlds first though, almost like an heartline roll but without the car in motion

Technically the inversion record is 10 as they don't count rotating seats or trick elements. The track has to perform a full inversion. Someone also posted that to get the record you can only count from the lift/launch to the next lift or brakes so because this will have two lifts it still won't be able to get the record.

BigDave said:
Technically the inversion record is 10 as they don't count rotating seats or trick elements. The track has to perform a full inversion. Someone also posted that to get the record you can only count from the lift/launch to the next lift or brakes so because this will have two lifts it still won't be able to get the record.

The Guinness Book of Records recognises both track inversions and the number of times riders are 'flipped upside down' on the ride. This is why I hope they don't chase the latter as it'd be cheesy.

I don't think it's relevant, but I'm not sure where this one lift hill definition comes from?

It seems that people are picturing it rotating upside down very slowly and sideways? Have I missed something as I pictured it rotating vertically and it could easily go upside down 7/8 times if you imagine it like the vault in hex. Well thats how im picturing it anyway flipping over and over with crazy effects and hopefully some loud sound effects/music to complete the experience, however this is merlin so maybe im over estimating a bit!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.