• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Really glad the track has arrived hopefully we will see a lot more deliveries over the coming week.

Thank you for some great photos

^^^ I put the problems with Saw down to the thing being built on a man-made island, which can't be anywhere near as solid a foundation than "proper" ground as it were. The biggest rough spot is the drop, where a support apparently sank into the ground slightly, making that bit of track marginally misshapen. That extra wear on the trains is probably what made the rest of the ride rough too!

Bearing the above in mind, there is every chance we'll have a perfectly smooth, if aggressive, ride on our hands!

morgano said:
All entries must be received by 5:00pm on Friday 14th December 2012. The prize is an exclusive ride on SW7 for 35 winners, including teachers, during National Science Week in March 2013. All winners must be at least 1.4m tall or more to be able to ride SW7. The winner of the competition will be notified Friday 11th January. Travel expenses are not included within the competition prize.

Interesting... Nation Science week is (18th to 22nd March).

Also confirms again the 1.4m height restriction.

On the Alton towers website just above the form it says ''National Science and Engineering week 15th-24th March 2013'' (which technically isn't a week) but that's what it says.
So it stills coincides with opening, interesting that it isn't prior to opening though....

More pictures of track being delivered on site today. You can view the full set on the SW7 mini-site.

track91.jpg

track10.jpg

track11.jpg

track12.jpg

track13.jpg

track14.jpg

track15.jpg

I was on site yesterday and was speaking to an Oblivion ride op (as she commented on my SW7 hoodie!) and she told me the track was on route as we spoke - gutted I missed it!

On a positive note, loving my SW7 window sticker they gave out at the exit, nice touch and was unexpected!

Thanks for the track pictures! Cant wait until March!

That track is so sexy looking! :D

Always had a thing for the chunky track type, just seem more safer looking. :p

Track day :) :) :)

I am getting so excited now :) Thanks guys for all the photos can not stop looking through them :) Does anybody know if AT will be putting on a comp to win a place to Ride first ??? like they did with th13teen and bootcamp?

So this definitely looks like it was made by Maurer Sohne huh?

But yeah, marked difference from what was shown in plans in terms of track type. Whilst I understand that it is in the GDO, I think it is rather dodgy to show associated structures to the building that breaches the order wrongly.

I love a big ol' piece of chunky track like that! I'm not a fan of some huge track types (here's looking at you Vekoma) but this track looks dead good. The fact that it is so big is going to be so intimidating when you walk and queue underneath the ride.

Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Oblivion's track is bigger than any other ride at the towers, including SW7! Its huge! And yes, I too am a massive fan of big tracks. They look so powerful & epic! Griffon's track is probably the largest of them all.

Anyway, I think with all the track for SW7 assembled, it will be one really good looking coaster! And hopefuly, a very forceful ride!

To go off on a tangent slightly I was driving through Farnborough (Near Reading) and I saw a SW7 hood on some boy walking through the street. I got very excited for some reason but Alton Towers seem to be spreading the message far and wide considering its nearly 150 miles away! Good to see the track but i doubt we will see any track laid before the end of the season!

that track looks well good! Extremely chunky - is it just me or does it look thicker and stronger than standard eurofighter track? Possibly indicating new trains

JB1985 said:
that track looks well good! Extremely chunky - is it just me or does it look thicker and stronger than standard eurofighter track? Possibly indicating new trains

Hard to tell how the track compares in terms of size to say Saw's, but we know that they will be new trains, it has been confirmed that they will be 4 rows of 4.

Sounds like there have been at least 5 lorries delivering track and supports today, hopefully there will be more tomorrow!

:)

To answer my own question here is a picture of Saw track (albeit not as close up) the track seems to be standard size.

c4o9211000cktbn6qa2hbi.jpg

I am therefore going to say trains wont be radically different but just a minor adaption of the existing Eurofighter.

Pictures from RCDB.com

Johno said:

But yeah, marked difference from what was shown in plans in terms of track type. Whilst I understand that it is in the GDO, I think it is rather dodgy to show associated structures to the building that breaches the order wrongly.

Really? It looks the same to me! :-\

First of all, it's really really exciting to finally see track and supports on site!

But I don't understand why everyone seems to be saying it looks so chunky and well built and that SW7 is certain to be amazing and Gerstlauer are the new saviors of Alton Towers.

It's nothing new, it's the same track style that Gerstlauer have been using for the last few years. It's the same type as Saw! To my eyes it doesn't look especially well-built either. I'm sure it will do the job but it's not B&M or Intamin quality fabrication.

One thing I'm a little worried about is that I'd never heard of a rough or uncomfortable Euro fighter before Saw. I could be wrong but I think that Saw's construction coincided with Gerstlauer switching their manufacturing from an independent fabricator to their own manufacturing facility. Since then, they have supposedly made a few other coasters that are a little more on the rough side.

I really hope it's sorted out and I will be watching construction with great interest.

adsyrah said:
Johno said:

Really? It looks the same to me! :-\

The plans showed cylindrical spine track, as used on Maurer coasters.

:)

completely irrelevant to the current conversations happening in this topic and I shall refrain from saying what I feel on this as I don't want to flair up a forum war, but for those interested TTF will be taking pictures of the site over the winter months via helicopter.

Each to their own.

We clearly arent getting what was in the plans. The track type is different, the supports are different, and the excavation - whilst yes there was to be a trench around the cobra roll - is not in line with the plans considering the walls are being constructed to an elevation higher than what was ground level, and this is not on the plans. Also, it has been confirmed to be 3 times the length of Oblivion. I may be wrong, but what was shown on those plans was by far longer than 3 times Oblivions track length.

This is exciting, although I'm sceptical again now that it's pretty much certain we aren't seeing what we thought we were

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.