• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Future of Skyride

The ride system must be in a pretty bad state, I have a feeling this is not something Towers wanted for this season. It's an important part of the park so I'm glad they are spending the money to make it last for many years to come

Shame, I was looking forward to getting the garden view again and knocking a couple of thousand off the step count for the sake of my knees.

On the face of it, closing it for the year gives the impression that it's a huge issue that needs addressing. But then again it's not as if they can do major work on it outside of the stations while the park is open and they definitely aren't going to want to test it with people walking around in case the worst happens.

It must truly be knackered if they're having to close it for another year.

Wonder if it's going to get recabled or they need to replace some of the support piers

A new rope doesn’t take that long and gets done every now and then already as its safety critical.

I would guess it’s something more substantial than that.

If Skyride is utterly kaput then it is just goes to show how utterly poor upkeep of the rides have been over the years and that the new Merlin have to clear up the mess left behind.

Yes, good they they are willing to bring it up to standards but deary me, if this is not a warning shot long time of keeping on top of upkeep then I don't know what is...other than Hex, what others could be worse affected?

Others have said that if Skyride is down for the season then a land train could be brought in to help cover the slack though I can't quite remember if the route that is suitable for one?

Wouldn't be against the idea but it seems people are more angry about Skyride being down more than Hex not starting for the season. Then again, just goes to show how much rot was there with the rides that the new team have to uncover and are wondering if there is a temptation to throw the previous Merlin team (providing they have all moved on) all under the bus if they want to pass the blame on to someone else in which admittingly they probably would deserve it.

Sky ride should never have been allowed to get I to it's current state. People with disabilities and partents with little ones really miss it the most. I think Hex is the odd one here based on how long they have had to fix it

Would have been a "close or spend millions" moment I guess. Will have been delayed to be more pleasing to financial people/shareholders.

Seen a few comments online about it being the pylons and their foundations that are the main problem right now.

As ever, no idea if there's any truth in that, but worth sharing
I’m just speculating here but I wouldn’t be surprised. I can’t see what else would cause such a prolonged closure. I don’t know for sure obviously, but sounds plausible

I’m just speculating here but I wouldn’t be surprised. I can’t see what else would cause such a prolonged closure. I don’t know for sure obviously, but sounds plausible
could it also be if it requires a large lift in an area with guests, e.g if the pulley wheel is required to be removed in the FV station for whatever reason?

Sky rides PLC i think is still original, i think reading between the lines the system maybe completely overhauled to newer control systems, it could also be the diesel generator in FV has given up

The skyride isn't being closed for a year, in total it is closed for 28 months...if not for good.
Whatever needed doing needed doing eighteen months ago, but headline attractions come first.
The disabled can wait, and can pay an extra £25 (probably going up this year) if they want access to the full park.
When the fun stops...
Stop.

This news is excellent. Even for people who rely on it, it will benefit everyone in the long run with more reliability and a secure future.

They are going above and beyond to secure the rides future and not just do the bare minimum, this gives me high hopes for another just as iconic if not more iconic piece of infrastructure. The monorail.

People saying the Skyride was neglected, perhaps slightly, but the reason it needs two seasons off? No chance. The attraction is what, 36 years old? That makes it pretty old in cable car terms, one of the worlds oldest infact. Plus, with the operating hours, probably one of the most well used too.

The ride has never had an extensive overhaul like this in it's entire life, this was inevitable at some point irrespective of how Merlin maintained it previously, if they want it to work for many years to come. You can maintain machinery to the highest standard, a point will always come when a major overhaul is needed.

Nice to see the ride getting the proper investment it deserves. They could have just closed it and removed it.

I suspect they knew all along that this was not opening this year, takes a while to plan works on this scale and order what is needed. The gondolas could have been moved for a million and one reasons and as for the stations, why wouldn't you paint them now? The ride doesn't have to be open to see how faded they look, open or closed, the painted station buildings will improve the overall park presentation.

Last edited:
WARNING! Very negative post incoming:

I hate to say that the clear lack of preventative maintenance and actual car over the last few years is becoming really evident. It isn't just through these ride closures, but the general upkeep of the site (including the gardens and the Towers). Even 'new' areas like David Williams is looking like it hasn't had any love in half a decade.

Look at the reliability last season - it was shocking. Wickerman (the newest coaster), Smiler, Air and Thirteen all have had fairly persistent issues. How long has the Monorail been hanging on by a thread? The ride areas are not in a good state either.

The TLC project papered over the cracks - but that paper is coming away. I have no doubt that Towers has the intent to deal with these issues, but realistically how much will it cost? And given issues with supply of parts, how long could it take? I hate to say, but is Hex and SkyRide could be the tip of the iceberg.

I love Towers. Towers should be the best park in the UK by a country mile. It isn't.

WARNING! Very negative post incoming:

I hate to say that the clear lack of preventative maintenance and actual car over the last few years is becoming really evident. It isn't just through these ride closures, but the general upkeep of the site (including the gardens and the Towers). Even 'new' areas like David Williams is looking like it hasn't had any love in half a decade.

Look at the reliability last season - it was shocking. Wickerman (the newest coaster), Smiler, Air and Thirteen all have had fairly persistent issues. How long has the Monorail been hanging on by a thread? The ride areas are not in a good state either.

The TLC project papered over the cracks - but that paper is coming away. I have no doubt that Towers has the intent to deal with these issues, but realistically how much will it cost? And given issues with supply of parts, how long could it take? I hate to say, but is Hex and SkyRide could be the tip of the iceberg.

I love Towers. Towers should be the best park in the UK by a country mile. It isn't.

As I said, you can do as much preventative maintance and maintain your attractions to the higest standards possible, a time will come when am overhaul is needed. These things carry people, there is no getting around this fact, they have to have extensive overhauls like this in order to keep carrying people. There is no getting around it.

Nemesis is another perfect example of this in action. Nemesis proves the point even more as B&M's are top shelf prices if engineering, even those need an expensive overhaul.

Long story short, this would ALWAYS need to take place at some point. Maintenance like this is exactly what is needed to ensure the reliability issues you mention are reduced as much as possible.

So do I.
Shame they couldn't be a bit more honest over a very lengthy, detailed complaint.
Customer service at the Towers stinks.

I agree. Maybe there was a reason this could have not been told, perhaps they didn't know a timeframe themselves at the time.

I have no doubt however, that your complaint and others like it are a huge influence when it comes to making decisions such as the one they have just made regarding the Skyride and it's long term future. It is inconvenient in the short term yes, but undoubtedly the best decision when taking a long term view.