• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The I Feel Down Topic.

Wow, there really are some brave people here. Hugs to all those who need them.

My (very trivial) entry into this thread - after 5 years or so of good service, my xbox 360 has burnt out, no RROD but it smells of burning and won't send a signal to any TV via any cable.

So, I'm going to wait a while, then maybe replace it.

AdamJ said:
Well, I'll just say it bluntly. I lost my dad on May 27th this year. As I type this, its been 2 hours since my mum died of a heavy stroke and clot on the brain. I'm incredibly scared of the real world, was always a mummy's boy I guess. I really don't want to be alone, but I'm a fighter at heart so I need to keep my chin up.

It's not fully sunk in, and I dread the following weeks that are to come, but hopefully I can get through this and prove the doubters in my family wrong.

I was so sorry to hear of your loss. I know that there is nothing that I can really say, to lessen your pain. I just wanted to let you know that you are very much in my thoughts.

AdamJ said:
Well, I'll just say it bluntly. I lost my dad on May 27th this year. As I type this, its been 2 hours since my mum died of a heavy stroke and clot on the brain. I'm incredibly scared of the real world, was always a mummy's boy I guess. I really don't want to be alone, but I'm a fighter at heart so I need to keep my chin up.

It's not fully sunk in, and I dread the following weeks that are to come, but hopefully I can get through this and prove the doubters in my family wrong.
I'm really sorry to hear about your lose

I've come to the realisation that I am massively in debt today, just when I thought it was all going so well on the day, my main problem is a £202 bill from Virgin Media, which I cannot pay at all in one chunk, and do not get payed for another few weeks, my family relies on the services of Virgin Media, and I have been told by them to cancel the services, which I wont because I'm not far enough into the contract to move away for free. Down isn't the word :(

matt talk to virgin media about it. and see if they can offer a cheaper contract and split payment on the bill.

delta79 said:
matt talk to virgin media about it. and see if they can offer a cheaper contract and split payment on the bill.

Im not sure they can, plus I dont particularly like talking via phone, our contract is for TV/Internet and Home Phone, and all the main part of it is through the TV, which is a problem because we have, and need all the channels we have :/

£202 bill from Virgin Media? How?! I think you may be on the wrong tariff. Phone them before they start sending you charges for not maintaining your payments, that is when it starts spiralling out of control.

As a guide,I pay around £60 for all TV excluding film and sport packages, unlimited broadband and phone line. No one 'needs' all this stuff.

MattH said:
I dont particularly like talking via phone

Sorry to single out this one thing but you desperately need to get this sorted regardless of whether you don't like talking on the phone. Contacting them now will be better for you and your family in the long run than sitting out on one major task just because you don't like a bit of human interaction and will make the bills worse.

Take on what pluk has said and get yourself a better tariff that you can afford.

MattH said:
which is a problem because we have, and need all the channels we have :/

I really don't want to sound horrible, but if you're in such a bad situation financially, to what extent is need the word? :|

Magrathea said:
MattH said:
which is a problem because we have, and need all the channels we have :/

I really don't want to sound horrible, but if you're in such a bad situation financially, to what extent is need the word? :|

When you don't have any fancy telly packages, it's interesting to discover how much decent stuff is on the ol' one, two, three, four and five! You don't really need anything more than those five Matt. :)

(also, the advent of the Internet means anything which isn't on the standard package is quite easily accessible :p)

Your family relies on the services of virgin media? You need all the channels you have? Sorry, but a little perspective is needed. Is a charge-off debt really worth that? Why aren't your family paying for this if they need it do much.

And also, £200? What the hell kind of service have you been using for that much?

Sam said:
When you don't have any fancy telly packages, it's interesting to discover how much decent stuff is on the ol' one, two, three, four and five! You don't really need anything more than those five Matt. :)
Not to mention that with the switch off of analogue, Freeview is now standard, so "those five" (which my family and I still live on quite happily - I reckon we probably watch about 2-3 hours of stuff each month that isn't on 1-5) is actually "those fifty" ;)

Well here is Dave in the "i feel down" topic for the first time.

Mostly im not prone to melancholy or significant periods of sadness but at the moment i'm really not in a brilliant place. I'm constantly tired and my weight has ballooned (que doctors appointment).

Work is so busy at the moment as the NHS is literally trying to increase work load whilst decreasing staffing (if anyone voted conservative i hate you). I work on average 50+ hours a week and its starting to drain.

I dont have the time or energy to make it to mini-meets at the moment and cant see when i will make it to one so i miss my friends terribly and find that some people i thought where nice really seem not to be.

Quite frankly at the moment i feel more like i am "existing" than "living"

Tis truely an embuggerance!

MattH said:
Im not sure they can, plus I dont particularly like talking via phone, our contract is for TV/Internet and Home Phone, and all the main part of it is through the TV, which is a problem because we have, and need all the channels we have :/

I just came across this on yahoo.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/pay-tv ... th-it.html

As many other people have said (I also correct people on this all the time) You dont need TV. You would like tv. its not a need.

A roof over your head, food to eat and healthcare is what you need.

I saw this on the net and it really points out how lucky we are, even though we all have our own problems which this thread is good for helping each other through we have to remember we are still very lucky!

the-rain.png

MattH said:
I've come to the realisation that I am massively in debt today, just when I thought it was all going so well on the day, my main problem is a £202 bill from Virgin Media, which I cannot pay at all in one chunk, and do not get payed for another few weeks, my family relies on the services of Virgin Media, and I have been told by them to cancel the services, which I wont because I'm not far enough into the contract to move away for free. Down isn't the word :(

Might be worth cancelling Virgin Media and getting a Freeview box. If you can't afford it though, you should cancel the service and move on.

Jem8472 said:
I saw this on the net and it really points out how lucky we are, even though we all have our own problems which this thread is good for helping each other through we have to remember we are still very lucky!

the-rain.png

Sorry, that graphic pisses me right off. Very very few of us have ever experienced living in a third world country. Therefore, it's absurd to try and view our problems relative to that way of life, just as it's absurd to say "well don't worry about your depression, at least you're not a microbe floating through space!" There's no frame of reference.

It doesn't tell us anything, it's just insulting simplistic.

Sam said:
Jem8472 said:

the-rain.png

Sorry, that graphic pisses me right off. Very very few of us have ever experienced living in a third world country. Therefore, it's absurd to try and view our problems relative to that way of life, just as it's absurd to say "well don't worry about your depression, at least you're not a microbe floating through space!" There's no frame of reference.

It doesn't tell us anything, it's just insulting simplistic.

I completely agree. It's like saying that no matter what happens to you, you shouldn't be bothered because there are poor people in the third world.

Comparing our problems to those of an African orphan will not make them seem any better. It's foolish to pit our own problems against something so incomparable. ???

We all live within the bubble of our society and our problems are all relative within that bubble.

However, posting that your family 'need' all those channels is a bit ridiculous.