• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Magrathea said:
399072_432791200124663_615505915_n.jpg

The airtime hill after the serpent roll and before the cobra roll. Thats my guess anyway.

What would all the connections for supports under the track mean? Excess upwards or downwards forces on the track?

If it's excess upwards force, which I'm guessing is right as this looks like the apex of a hill / bump, could we be looking at the top of a launch? I can't understand why else there would be fins / brakes needed.

Magnetic trims? I'm just not sure where that piece fits, it must be one of the hills, but why put magnetic trims over the apex?

It could be for a trim but that looks a bit excessive for just a trim given the size of the train.

As that track section is number 44 I would put it about a third of the way through the layout; maybe the first air-time hill. Seems too large a number to be the top of the first lift hill. Could just about be the top of the dive before the first inversion but I remember that having a slight curve to it.

^ This is all based on the plans being accurate of course.

EDIT:

Blaze said:
Magnetic trims? I'm just not sure where that piece fits, it must be one of the hills, but why put magnetic trims over the apex?

If the hill is taken at a launch the trims would be to make sure the speed is spot on before the main layout. Not that I think it is there.

adsyrah said:
What would all the connections for supports under the track mean? Excess upwards or downwards forces on the track?

If it's excess upwards force, which I'm guessing is right as this looks like the apex of a hill / bump, could we be looking at the top of a launch? I can't understand why else there would be fins / brakes needed.

Would think it means the train will be moving slowly on it, or with little force, if you notice when a ride goes through an element quickly there are less supports. This means the track can flex and absorb most of the force, versus a very over supported section of track which will put a lot of strain on the supports and track... Best way to think of it is how easy it is to snap a rigid ruler then one of those novelty bendy rulers.

Therefore, this track will most likely be on a break run or lift hill.

Or atleast thats how I view it...

Fredward said:
adsyrah said:

Would think it means the train will be moving slowly on it, or with little force, if you notice when a ride goes through an element quickly there are less supports. This means the track can flex and absorb most of the force, versus a very over supported section of track which will put a lot of strain on the supports and track... Best way to think of it is how easy it is to snap a rigid ruler then one of those novelty bendy rulers.

Therefore, this track will most likely be on a break run or lift hill.

Or atleast thats how I view it...

Not necessarily, if it is for the airtime hill just after the serpent roll and before the cobra roll then it is supported like that because it has to go over a path so some sort of structure could be built to accommodate the track spanning across the path. Look at the plans to see what I mean (thats if the plans are indeed, correct).

Tim said:
It could be for a trim but that looks a bit excessive for just a trim given the size of the train.

As that track section is number 44 I would put it about a third of the way through the layout; maybe the first air-time hill. Seems too large a number to be the top of the first lift hill. Could just about be the top of the dive before the first inversion but I remember that having a slight curve to it.

^ This is all based on the plans being accurate of course.

EDIT:

Blaze said:

If the hill is taken at a launch the trims would be to make sure the speed is spot on before the main layout. Not that I think it is there.

This could be the case as all the trim elements seem to have actuators on them, therefore it could be a controlled variable trim, not just a fixed constant trim.
You see this type of actuated trim obviously when Rita launches, and as the cars pass the trims lift up. In Rita's case I believe this is part of an anti roll-back from its top hat intentions? With these being on a hill though I expect advanced speed control rather than anti roll back!

My guess would be that its the start of the brake run before the vertical lift, the start of it would need a radius now as the cobra/batwing is so low in the pit.

I really see this being unique. Washing machine element, twin launched, floorless gerst.....

On a more serious note, I believe the trains will look like they do in the concept art. Remember Th13teen's surrender poster? That was just for illustrative purposes and the trains in the looked spot on. They even look very similar to the original concept art

Latest construction pic taken today, from the Tatenhill Aviation FB page:

774184_271496062979877_7759217_o.jpg

NO BLUE BOXES HERE!

Alastair said:
Latest construction pic taken today, from the Tatenhill Aviation FB page:

774184_271496062979877_7759217_o.jpg

NO BLUE BOXES HERE!
This looks brilliant, rather looking forward to the experience of the smiler :)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.