• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
John still designs the track layouts of Merlin's rides and he uses No Limits to do so. I'm always confused why so many people find this hard to accept.

The news of his retirement is sad but not unexpected. I think it is potentially both a bad thing and good thing for future Merlin rollercoaster designs.

so that image confirms that TTF are (for now at least) hiding..........................

A straight piece of track!!!

You really do realise looking at that picture how puny the Gerstlauer track is in comparison to the B&M dive machine. It's like looking at a matchstick in comparison with a pencil.

JB1985 said:
so that image confirms that TTF are (for now at least) hiding..........................

A straight piece of track!!!

But it's a nice piece of straight track, very straight in fact and level as though it leads to something!

But then again maybe Alton just want the inversion hiding for some reason, don't know why as we knew it was there.

TowersTimes responded before to people saying there was nothing behind the blue censored boxes, and said that there was definitely something. That pic there proves nothing.

JayTricky said:
TowersTimes responded before to people saying there was nothing behind the blue censored boxes, and said that there was definitely something. That pic there proves nothing.

to be fair to them, whilst i think if there was something it would be where this piece of track is, its still a possibility something will happen after this point....

I have been a cynic from the start and believe this whole thing is a stunt by TTF. We will only know on opening day OR if Tatenhill Aviation spill the beans

sorry for the double post - but look again at that image. As someone on TTF has posted (and i and other have missed) the image clearly looks like there is something covering the track. I will copy the image and load in a minute

snowpic_zps1f8afbba.png

Well from the collection of photos we have, you can see the entrance of some sort of roll, and the exit of one. There isn't really much else it can be!

well i quote from Tatenhill Aviation that this image has not been doctored. I dont have a photo uploaded page so if i email someone will they upload this?

JB1985 said:
sorry for the double post - but look again at that image. As someone on TTF has posted (and i and other have missed) the image clearly looks like there is something covering the track. I will copy the image and load in a minute

snowpic_zps1f8afbba.png

After a closer look, I'm more interested in the hexagonal shape to the left of the highlighted area. It doesn't look big enough to be a secret element (I don't personally think there is a secret element). Maybe it's part of the pre-/post-show?

The straight piece of track that is sat there looks very, well, flat and straight. I'm saying this with the consideration that there is a barrel roll leading into this, so I'd have expected it to be banked in some way before leveling out.

The distance between it and the barrel roll just looks too short to me. Makes me wonder if this is part of the maintenance track that is waiting to be installed.

Don't know if it's my eyes filling in the blanks wrong, but I'm just seeing the end of the inversion rumoured.

I've created a quick pic to illustrate what I mean:

77418427149606297987777.jpg

TTF may have been told to hide the inversions so Alton Towers could keep the world record of inversions quiet a little longer (assuming that is indeed what the 'worlds first' is).

Like I said a few pages back. There are 14 inversions on the promotional image... might just be an over-exaggerated image. But I still think it's very plausible that this ride could have 14 inversions and therefore beat the world record (and hold the title for a good while at the same time).

Someone a bit earlier also said that an inversion there would be too tight. The inversion may be tight, but you need to remember the ride car will be going pretty slow at this point - there's only 3-4 metres hight difference between the track in question an the station.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.