• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
GaryH said:
So TT were told by Alton Towers (if true) to hide the maintenance track section? lol ;)

I get the feeling that whilst everyone took a pretty damn good and accurate guess that there would be an inversion down there (seeing as every Gerst Merlin build has the same trick) Alton Towers wanted to keep the fact that there would be more than 8 inversions secret for a long time.

They simply removed the box when it became so blindingly obvious that the plans didn't match / Tatten Hill Aviation club uncovered the helix.

Still didn't help that they spent months fuelling the fire with this "washing machine".

Site is looking a lot better now though. Didn't realise quite how high off the ground the break run / station was though. Thats a good couple of stories at least! And we eventually found out where those concrete stairs were going too!

In addition - be very interesting to see where this element of Spin Doctors is going to appear. The pre lift hill run is now being decked out with footers and no room has been left for a large piece of rotating track.

I really hope that isn't the ride's main theme, it's worse than Th13teen's nursery rhyme rip-off and that's saying something! I want something dark and seriously industrial, not that plinky-plonky melody on top that tries and fails to sound creepy!

Again, it's the park going for ambient atmosphere 'noise' (like Th13teen) rather than a fully-fledged score like Oblivion or Hex (the full version of the Nemesis theme probably lies somewhere in-between). I think it's a shame, I miss the much more memorable 'grand themes' of yore. :)

With Oblivion though, the queueline audio is pretty much just a few random announcements and noises alongside the videos in certain parts of the queueline.
The same with Hex, the actual queueline order is just construction work alongside queueline videos.

If the Swarm is anything to go by, the queueline will have a big focus on videos with a separate background audio track. Very much the same as Hex and Oblivion.

It's not really been discussed yet but as audio technology improves and becomes more popular, on-ride audio (which would probably be a more memorable, grander theme) might even be on the cards? Obviously this hasn't really been confirmed anywhere, and it could just be me expecting more than we will actually get.

What I do really hope is that the news ticker style tv screens around the "spider" actually are fitted for real, I think they look really good.

Sam said:
I really hope that isn't the ride's main theme, it's worse than Th13teen's nursery rhyme rip-off and that's saying something! I want something dark and seriously industrial, not that plinky-plonky melody on top that tries and fails to sound creepy!

I quite like the music in the game, with the sinister back beat and the unnerving upbeat overlaid. Certainly something in that style would suit the theme of the ride better than some dark industrial crap from the dark depths of teenage despair.

Something like the games music with a touch more complexity and variation so it doesn't get dull on a long queue would be great.

GaryH said:
What I do really hope is that the news ticker style tv screens around the "spider" actually are fitted for real, I think they look really good.

Well they are bought up on the plans, so here's hoping :)

Dave said:
Sam said:

I quite like the music in the game, with the sinister back beat and the unnerving upbeat overlaid. Certainly something in that style would suit the theme of the ride better than some dark industrial crap from the dark depths of teenage despair.

Something like the games music with a touch more complexity and variation so it doesn't get dull on a long queue would be great.

Have to agree, it is fun and sinister, very well made and awfully catchy!! Left the laughing one playing on my phone ha-ha!! It makes you... SMILE! (Well, me anyway).

Ultimately it is very hard to write comedic sinister without it being cheesy, a very difficult skill, music (well let's not go there) is rather subjective regardless - but for me it is very, very kool!

Also, when you have multiple people playing the game with the volume up, it blends and creates crazy remixes - respect. ;)

I love it, only gripes for me was the need to put the blasted fast track queue, and perhaps they could have given away 1000 special edition key rings or something daft as prizes - but boy, given the prizes they have got, is that ever picky!

It is also quite obvious how weak and thin the track appears in the game, when compared to the pictures, cannot even begin to accurately purvey how twisted and utterly mental this is going to be when completed.

:twirly:

Theme park central have just posted this image

480625_335729056528229_1766396846_n.jpg

looks great!

All those.... things bolted on to it look a bit naff to me. They cheapen what should be an imposing structure. Hopefully this is just for the game.

DiogoJ42 said:
All those.... things bolted on to it look a bit naff to me. They cheapen what should be an imposing structure. Hopefully this is just for the game.

I dont know whether the image is from the game, or concept art, but i actually like it. i do agree however that the original in the plans is far more imposing

Completely agree Diogo. Less is more, especially when building a structure in an area with a distinct industrial minimalist style.

Meat Pie said:
Completely agree Diogo. Less is more, especially when building a structure in an area with a distinct industrial minimalist style.

well there is one thing for sure, Xsector will never be the same again

It will always be clean now it has a car wash being built in it.

Will we need tokens to ride it, and will it have a vacuum?

I guess the point I was made to look a total idiot for believing they really were building something incredible was bound to arrive at some point.

Apart from the tacky things that have been stuck along the top of each arm, this concept design of The Innoculator is much more impressive and fitting for X-Sector than what what shown in the plans.

The theming finishes shown in the initial plans were bleak and depressing and I am glad they have been scrapped for a cleaner and more edgier theme.

And you needn't worry if you think it looks over the top, this is Alton Towers - few things turn out like the concepts!

:)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.