• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
90% isn't totally accurate though ;) :p

The severe rain could have compromised the ground at the top of the site, one the concrete base was removed from the Black Hole and it started to be dug up the rain could have saturated the ground and made further work either very difficult or even impossible.

Dar said:
90% isn't totally accurate though ;) :p

Well do you expect plans to be 100% accurate? They're plans not blueprints. My point is the current excavation at the top half of the site was shown on the plans so I'm not sure why there's a lot of surprise that there's still a lot more to do.

Dar said:
The severe rain could have compromised the ground at the top of the site, one the concrete base was removed from the Black Hole and it started to be dug up the rain could have saturated the ground and made further work either very difficult or even impossible.

I think that is likely one of the reasons they've had issues which is why I mainly blame the weather for them being behind. Having the pit flood on a weekly basis really set quite a slow pace from the start.

They couldn't start work on the top half of the site until the park was closed, as the ramp they made was the only way for them to access the site, due to submission and enterprise being open.

I would still argue that a mistake they made was not starting on this whole project early enough. I have said it before but the Black Hole tent should have been coming down the day after planning permission had been granted. When you see how early work starts on other major theme park projects around the world, it is clear that Towers started later than they should have. Though I guess hindsight is a great thing.

Still, the point stands that a completed product a few weeks late is better than a rushed unfinished product in March.

:)

What do you guys think the g-forces on this ride will be? With a top speed of 52 mph surely they should be quite intense with the tightness of the track.

Hindsight is one thing, but apparently experience counts for nothing these days. Sometimes I feel like it was an entirely different park that built Nemesis and Oblivion

EuroSatch said:
Hindsight is one thing, but apparently experience counts for nothing these days. Sometimes I feel like it was an entirely different park that built Nemesis and Oblivion

I have to agree with you EuroSatch. I am reticent to completely judge this though, without full facts in my possession.

Wilsy said:
They couldn't start work on the top half of the site until the park was closed, as the ramp they made was the only way for them to access the site, due to submission and enterprise being open.

I had a feeling that ramp was part of the issue. However it's not the Enterprise and Submission area they are using as access, because there's a massive great pit in the way :p
The route they must be using is the gate near the Rehydrator and Chicken Company so they would have had to close the whole of X-Sector to allow mid-day access.

I think the actual level of non-footer ground-work might be more than expected. Recent images have shown them building up concrete walls around the hill. It just seems more than the plans even hinted at.

And the plans accuracy percentage has dropped by 10%, will be interesting to see how much more it drops. If the inversion count theory is correct then they need to get at least 5 inversions into the building or the plans are wrong.

Swes said:
What do you guys think the g-forces on this ride will be? With a top speed of 52 mph surely they should be quite intense with the tightness of the track.

Given speed and inversions, and goodness knows what else being build in the mysterious little hole, I'd say a graph representing the various forces will look a little like this:

makaie:jonny25:05.jpg

Much like the track in the marketing! :twirly:

Tim said:
Wilsy said:

I had a feeling that ramp was part of the issue. However it's not the Enterprise and Submission area they are using as access, because there's a massive great pit in the way :p
The route they must be using is the gate near the Rehydrator and Chicken Company so they would have had to close the whole of X-Sector to allow mid-day access.

I think if they had closed Submission and Enterprise they could have worked on the top and the bottom of the site at the same time. They could have used the gate behind submission during opening hours.

Dar said:
Tim said:
Wilsy said:

I think if they had closed Submission and Enterprise they could have worked on the top and the bottom of the site at the same time. They could have used the gate behind submission during opening hours.

Possibly but I would have thought they'd have needed access to the top and bottom of the area they were digging out?

And Dave you seem to be under the impression I haven't been saying 90% all along? ;)

Tim said:
Dar said:
Tim said:
Wilsy said:

Possibly but I would have thought they'd have needed access to the top and bottom of the area they were digging out?

They could have been constructing the Smiler element and the station at the bottom, while digging the top of the site during the season?

Assuming they were prepared to start construction during the open season.

Tim said:
And Dave you seem to be under the impression I haven't been saying 90% all along? ;)

No but i got shot down a lot by people who said the plans where accurate, i am just glad they have dropped to 90% to prove my point a little.

I have nothing better to be bothered about on a Sunday night :D

Alton just posted a great picture of the Smiler and Oblivion in the snow

BBuDRnJCYAAMFub.jpg:large

Must say I love the Batwing and Cobra Roll together! Staffordshire knot =)

Well, doesn't it look exciting!

I tell you what would look more exciting, something to look at, other than the Staffordshire Knot!! As lovely, beastly and amazing as the element is, it's all we have had to look at for over a month now!! Granted, it has obviously been Christmas and snowed rather a lot in the period, but still... Now that all the stuff has melted since that pic was likely taken, can we crank up the pace and some more of the ride please! :p

The snow has gone, but now we are left with soggy, very wet weather again. The main reason in my eyes this ride is late in the first place. Saying that, they still can get a most of the lower end done and get the station building sorted. I know that picture was apparently taken over a week ago, but yeah... something new would be nice :p

That image certainly gives some idea of the impact The Smiler is going to have on the landscape of X-Sector. And that building will look impressive once the walls are up.

Just really want to see how the rest of the ride is going to look like, but it seems Towers are now keen on giving us some construction updates which is good.

The ground may well be waterlogged, but at least the workmen can now access the site easily. I had to make a journey over in Alton's direction in the last week, and it was abysmal. I dread to think what the roads leading directly to the park were like!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.