• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

There's still the question of... what is the world's first? We know the track is normal, the trains are normal and we know there are no secret elements...

The world's first may simply be "the world's first 15 inversion ride" - however press releases and specifically the interview from John Wardley seemed to have pointed towards something a bit more exciting than that. Hmmm.

James said:
There's still the question of... what is the world's first? We know the track is normal, the trains are normal and we know there are no secret elements...

The world's first may simply be "the world's first 15 inversion ride" - however press releases and specifically the interview from John Wardley seemed to have pointed towards something a bit more exciting than that. Hmmm.

This is what I mean James. It is all rather "normal" right now isn't it?

It has been said multiple times now that there is a world first you will have to ride to find out. You don't have to do that with the inversion record unless they class the indoor section, but then that's pretty obvious overall isn't it?

I cannot imagine JW saying that about just (I say just, but you know what I mean lol) an inversion record?

Word Beating and a World First.

They must have something up their sleeves. If not, they're worse than Morwenna. At least she had a genuinely unique world first and like the coaster or not, it is an exceptional piece of engineering.

I must say, I will be disappointed if they do not pull out a surprise on us. Them using the inversion record as the 'worlds first' would be very disappointing and kill off the hype they've sent out, for me personally at least. I would like to think Mr Wardley would not hype it up in an interview like that for it to be nothing we already know.

However saying that it depends what the marketing team are up to these days. They seemed to have learned from the sensationalist hype that happened with Th13teen so I expect a last minute surprise that we aren't expecting.

With that I still remain on the fence as to not get my hopes up.

I still say self duelling. As I have said for ages! :p I'm going to say it has nothing more (except perhaps theming effects) simple solution is in my opinion the most likely.

I'm expecting the worlds first to turn out as the inversion record. However I kind of hope it something else, and the inversions record is the world beating factor. What John Wardley said in his interview did imply that there would be a separate worlds first. But he may have been told what to say and not say by Towers. Also I can't think what else the world's first could possibly be now. Everything does all seem very normal, I'm not complaining about that though as normal is what we desperately need!

:)

I will be really happy if this is an out and out rollercoaster with no added gimmicks. Whilst oblivion and air had a worlds first that wrote themselves, Merlin's recent "worlds first" additions felt somewhat forced - think thirteen (worlds first psych coaster), The Swarm (worlds first ride with a single) and SAW (worlds first horror coaster).

I don't think there is any shame in "only" having a coaster that inverts at least 14 times (with the possibility of an extra one) and I wish Alton Towers would see that. It almost seems that at times they want anything that can fill the "worlds first" claim, to the detriment of the overall advertising and ride theming.

Not that I'm disappointed with how this ride is turning out - far from it! I think that it looks brilliant, and whilst there are parts I'd change, their target population is not just myself - so I find it difficult to complain. I do admit that i'm just enjoying the thought of a "simple" out and out thrill ride.

Th13teen was the worlds first freefall drop coaster. So not forced at all. :) However Alton Towers did not take advantage of using this in marketing and mainly focused on the "ultimate rollercoaster" rubbish.

Of course this will be brilliant as it is. Simplicity is the way to go. However they have formed some hype so naturally something will be expected now.

The number of inversions gives them the worlds first tag, the same concept was used on Colossus. It excites the GP and gets newspapers talking about it for free. But unlike Th13teen without gerst ache we also seem to be getting a great coaster.

Currently stood watching the spider being lifted into place :)

LiamC said:
Currently stood watching the spider being lifted into place :)

How exciting! Any pics?

538732_544602692237580_682835698_n.jpg

From https://www.facebook.com/thealtontowersguide

It doesn't look as visually dominating as I thought it would be to be honest. I know it's not finished, but doesn't look as tall as it did on the plans, game and the artist impressions.

I don't know. I'll reserve my judgements until I've seen it in person. :)

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

If the plans are followed there is meant to be quite a bit that goes on-top of the body of the Marmaliser... Not convinced the final product will be as elaborate as the plans though.

Also pictures seem to downplay the scale of the smiler site anyway so who knows.

Yeah, I was expecting it to look taller.

Saying that, I haven't seen it in person, it's hard to judge pictures and obviously the thing isn't finished yet!

This would just be the chassis, so not actual theming. Seeing a car as just a chassis and wheels will look more smaller, more insignificant, and more ugly then the complete car next to it.

Size wise, I won't comment till I've seen on it. Remember these photos are taken from a higher height. When you are at the same level as the rollercoaster, it will also look bigger and once those bug bulky machinery legs are on.

From TowersStreet Facebook

66804_464023007001482_233751529_n.jpg

521500_464022993668150_1240813972_n.jpg

7368_464023013668148_178475460_n.jpg

The perspective on these pictures seems to make the marmaliser look bigger than the previous images (thanks to Rob for the images).

I'm excited this is finally getting erected, and it is impressively big (it will have fantastic interaction with the trains!) but in terms of its appearance it looks as mundane as I was expecting.

Merlin Studios don't get the concept of stylisation it seems, when it comes to building theme features. They would gladly purchase a second hand Marmaliser if such a thing existed rather than design their own, characteristic/thematic one.

For example, look at the central column. It lacks style or implication with its spindly, grey bars and the yellow/black pattern is plain. Compare that to the concept art (I know concept art is exaggerated but it's still what they are aiming for) and this looks relatively normal. It doesn't have the bulky, industrial, imposing nature that was intended.

But at least it exists: a big overhead screen and effects are almost superfluous anyway when you have such an insane rollercoaster as this! The whole project is far too exciting, I just wish Merlin Studios had more imagination/budget.

I'm not expecting wonders just so i don't get dissapointed but to be fair any fine-detail wouldn't be added until the thing was constructed on site as it would get damaged on transport and construction. IF Merlin Studios are being as creative as i want them to be that should be the base canvas for lots of extra theming to be added.

But i'm not getting my hopes up too much.

Dave said:
Also pictures seem to downplay the scale of the smiler site anyway so who knows.

For those who haven't been yet, take heed of Dave's words.

You will note, despite my deep theme reservations, I will not be passing comment on how "small" the marm looks - as, if it is like any other part of the ride, photos just do not seem to capture how ruddy huge it is.

Photos make it look almost spinball sized at points, in terms of compact etc - it really isn't ;D

Think how big those cranes are, it's a good way above the cabins etc.

Relatively speaking, it doesn't seem to be quite as imposing, but as Dave also says, let's wait for what features make it from the drawing board to the structure.

My concern over this now, is that The Smiler has definite character to it logo wise etc, almost like it has a life and personality of its own. Will the Marm reflect a sense of "self awareness"?

I hope so as I find it cute ;D

EDIT:
Cor, it's also going to be RIGHT in your face as you hurtle past it! Far more so than Saw for example.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.