• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Really am worried about the gaps in some of the joins - I noticed a few steel connectors which had to be welded on to the track so it meets the supports.... one can only question (a) what impact this will have on the rides smoothness (or lack of it) and (b) the safety aspect - will these "modifications" be prone to fail at some point in the future....

Not good...

Great photos again rob :)

I hope the people who were bad mouthing The Marmaliser when the first leg went in because it didn't look imposing or big enough realise how wrong they were to judge so quickly when they see this picture:

P1150800_zpsd40cd109.jpg

It looks utterly brilliant. Just brilliant. I know it's not gonna be open when I visit on the 14th & 15th May (although fingers are crossed for soft opening!) but I'm just going to have to come back later in the year to ride it.

First post, (so be generous!)

Long time lurker here... (probably nearing 4/5 years of lurking on various AT forums... eesh!)

But yes, this ride is looking incredibly impressive! Although I am finding it hard to any idea of scale and location!

Just out of (selfish) curiosity, are there any photos with a bit more of an idea of how it's located in the area?

Gierg said:

Long time lurker here... (probably nearing 4/5 years of lurking on various AT forums... eesh!)

But yes, this ride is looking incredibly impressive! Although I am finding it hard to any idea of scale and location!

Just out of (selfish) curiosity, are there any photos with a bit more of an idea of how it's located in the area?

You could possibly try taking a look at the most recent aerial update from TT :)

The atmosphere under all this going on when it finally opens is going to be electric! I'd really love to know what music is going to playing - from the game perhaps? If so I would hope the actual music heard when playing is used around the area as the menu music I would say is more annoying personally.

Plus I like the laugh on the actual game music - it just ooozes Dr Kelman and would really make the character of The Smiler hit home I think.

This is the menu music I refer to : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wmeFiYarnw#ws

It's the other I prefer.. What are your thoughts?

Would be a nice touch if Dr Kelman was there welcoming people on opening day with his lovely nurses ;)

GaryH said:
Really am worried about the gaps in some of the joins - I noticed a few steel connectors which had to be welded on to the track so it meets the supports.... one can only question (a) what impact this will have on the rides smoothness (or lack of it) and (b) the safety aspect - will these "modifications" be prone to fail at some point in the future....

Not good...

I don't quite know what you expect? This is a massive 3D jigsaw puzzle, of course some joints won't meet bang on but they will be fixed before the ride opens don't worry.

Trust me ALL ride manufacturers have this problem.

Excellent photos again, Rob!

The gaps in the track and the connectors do not worry me much yet as they obviously haven't finished concreting the supports and should be able to fix these easily.

The Marmaliser is looking great with the screens turned on and, now that the feet are starting to be put into place, it really does make me excited that the ride will hopefully be opening soon!

I can't wait to ride this for so many reasons! :)

Olii said:
Gierg said:

You could possibly try taking a look at the most recent aerial update from TT :)

Cheers duck-egg. Shall do! :)

GaryH said:

Not good...
I don't think it will be a safety issue. Smoothness, on the otherhand, is a different matter. :/

Oh and here's a little bonus, a clear and close up video showing the testing of the Marmaliser screens. This is the video for The Disorientator:

http://youtu.be/PS8FC9QEg2o

:)

Good photo here that Alton Towers have posted on Twitter:

BIuLiQrCUAE2mff.jpg

I can imagine we'll get there on opening day and it'll be making a lovely clang in true Air style where the supports aren't quite long enough :p

Hopefully they get these issues sorted out. The welding bodge looks a bit of a pigs ear though. Even if you won't see it when it's painted it's still the fact that they've had to alter it that's a mess :/

The addition of a part bonded by a huge weld is a little staggering. It will be an area of stress and it will be subjected to magnetic testing fairly frequently to identify any cracking. Keep an eye out for the white paint in that area.

Again. I think Gerst know what they're doing and equally so, Alton are unlikely to allow them to make a bodge of things.

Whilst I agree that the pieces of track should definitely match up, I'm sure that they'll be forced to correct it if it's not up to the spec that an £18 million coaster should be...

I think that, of all the rides Gerst have built, this is the one that they know cannot fail. I know that every ride they build is not designed to fail or get rough - but this is their biggest ever project and if it is a true success it will elevate them to a new level within the industry. It's a mammoth project and although some things have looked a wee bit worrying, I still have faith that they will get it right, or will be back to fix things until it is.

I agree Scott.

Also, we don't know these issues are even Gerst's fault do we?

Given how problematic this has been, the reason for these apparent issues are almost innumerable.

So it looks like The Smiler will feature projection mapping:

2vbonsh.jpg
vynqbn.jpg

(Source, jordanw on TT).

Interesting to see what they do with it! I'd imagine it will be used in the indoor section.

:)

Oooh, now we're getting clever. Now we're exploring possibilities that this theme had previously crossed out to me.

That screen is going to make this ride; there is no need for a pre-show with that there, and some of videos displayed are working for me on some really deep levels. Scanning and analyzing personal memories? That's dark, sinister even. That has given this ride some depth. The woman's memories are shown on the screen - that is intrusive and quite a threatening idea to convey.

For me, rides are designed to be theatrical. The whole idea of 'theme park' is a very hyperbole affair jam-packed with over the top and explicit references; this has developed the theme to an almost cinematic approach - it's quite cliche yet subtly creepy. I like the way that it appears to pinpoint riders; from an off-ride point of view, surely there's no way of knowing that it actually isn't a live thing, right?

Abandoned/evil hospital, to me, was a tired and unoriginal theme. This feels more fresh, with that darker twist to it. I'm certainly more excited to see the Marmaliser fully moving now. :)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.