• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Train Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Regardless of who started it - lets keep the tone friendly while we debate in here. The restraint discussion has gotten overly heated before and we don't need this to start getting personal.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

So, trains then...

They could be worse. They certainly could be better, but they could be worse.

Are the optical illusions maybe just a way to get riders to queue for the front row to avoid them? I can see a money making scheme with selling front row tickets forming here.

I really like the trains, they are pretty open with lots of space around the riders. (I always found SAWs trains a bit cramped)

The colours look really nice too, can't see how people can fault them. They are rollercoaster trains which get a lot of wear and tear, there was never going to be smaller theming elements.

Danny said:
Are the optical illusions maybe just a way to get riders to queue for the front row to avoid them? I can see a money making scheme with selling front row tickets forming here.

Or they could just do what every other ride at Alton Towers do and offer a standard front row queue...?

Danny said:

At least when people throw up from the illusions it'll make the cars look nicer ::)

Meat Pie said:
Tim - I find you very rude also. In terms of tone, I give exactly back what you emit. :)

I've just had enough, even after you are proved categorically wrong, you can't accept it's a mistake on your part and that marketeers and graphic designers did their job well, instead you have to invent that they've been inaccurate.

There was nothing in those original images that showed a lap-bar, and finally we have proof. Give it up.

No Meat. When I say things I don't try to make people feel insulted so that they respond. That is rude!

and you assume way to much. I have never once insulted the work of designers (having done some myself) yet you come out with all this "low-regard for their professions" non-scenes.

And yes I said I was wrong! From the very beginning I've pushed the ideas of Lap Bars but always said that the proof will be when we see the trains. We have now seen the trains and I admitted the theory was incorrect by not trying to push it.

Sorry to go slightly off topic but felt it needed saying.

I think it's also worth remembering that on the whole thrill coasters do not have extensively themed trains. That is generally left for family coasters. Of course there are exceptions to this. The vast majority of B&Ms for example have un-themed trains. The same goes for the Mack mega coasters. I think The Smiler trains are pretty much as they should be!

:)

DiogoJ42 said:
So, trains then...

They could be worse. They certainly could be better, but they could be worse.

Feel exactly the same - find them a bit dull really given the ride it's supposed to be going around, saying that The Smiler on the front is very, very cute indeed, and of all rides ever made that is still probably my favourite logo of the lot.

:twirly:

Wilsy said:
The colours look really nice too, can't see how people can fault them.

Because people like different things, and are not obliged to enjoy a specific colour/theme.

This is another thing I don't understand?

I can appreciate why people like elements of this ride, or theme etc - I don't understand why it's so hard to grasp that the whole thing is subjective. There are parts I like, parts I don't - usually, seemingly, the opposite to what most others do/don't like where this ride has been concerned.

The points about more themed trains are well made by Rob and Wilsy though. Although that trend is evolving I think.

Am I correct in not noticing any "additions" to the trains we are pretty much all agree we DON'T WANT? Ie, being prodded, poked, slapped (NOT F'ING TICKLED) etc?

CoasterCrazyChris said:
So is it confirmed OTSR's then?

Did you not see the train pics a few pages back bud? Full pictures released now. (OK, that is likely sarcasm lol, just got in from shopping, not got man brain fully back into gear yet ;D)

TheMan said:
Did you not see the train pics a few pages back bud? Full pictures released now.

As pointed out earlier, these trains are obviously just a hoax to fool enthusiasts. no confirmation as of yet.

TheMan said:
Am I correct in not noticing any "additions" to the trains we are pretty much all agree we DON'T WANT? Ie, being prodded, poked, slapped (NOT F'ING TICKLED) etc?

Good point that has not been made yet. It looks like there are definitely not back prodders or leg ticklers. I'm pleased about this as although they may have added something to the ride, I think they would have been very uncomfortable, especially back prodders.

It also looks like there is no onboard audio, not that we were to expect it but thought I'd point that out!

Regarding theming: Remember that this ride has some incredibly tight turns and comes into close contact at several parts of the ride. This is not something you can have wires coming out of head restraints or any extravagant pieces of theming popping out of every corner.

It's like Nemesis, the trains need a minimal design so then it can get around the tight spaces it will need to.

Fredward said:
TheMan said:
Did you not see the train pics a few pages back bud? Full pictures released now.

As pointed out earlier, these trains are obviously just a hoax to fool enthusiasts. no confirmation as of yet.

You know what I'd LOVE for that to actually be the case right now. In fact, I think I may nip down to Merlin studios and create some "bespoke" lapbars just to shut you lot up ;D

Rob said:
TheMan said:

Good point that has not been made yet. It looks like there are definitely not back prodders or leg ticklers. I'm pleased about this as although they may have added something to the ride, I think they would have been very uncomfortable, especially back prodders.

It also looks like there is no onboard audio, not that we were to expect it but thought I'd point that out!

Happiness, disappointment, Happiness, Disappointment, Happiness, Disappointment.

Is this what following an SW is always like? ;D

A slightly random point, would I be correct in saying this is the first Gerstlauer to have OTSRs that are not black? World's first Gerstlauer with coloured restraints anyone? ;)

Rob said:
A slightly random point, would I be correct in saying this is the first Gerstlauer to have OTSRs that are not black? World's first Gerstlauer with coloured restraints anyone? ;)

Nope, Untamed has brown restraints: :p

8chmo00ck9b8f1ke25d84k.jpg

TheMan said:
Happiness, disappointment, Happiness, Disappointment, Happiness, Disappointment.

Is this what following an SW is always like? ;D

Pretty much. You get used to it eventually though.
Then you end up as cynical as me, getting ranted at by children who don't understand because they have not yet been burned like we have... But at least us grumpy types get to have the last laugh with an "I told you so" come opening day ;)

Also just want to point out that I'd much rather have this metallic, clean cut, bright and bold look on the trains than some fibreglass shell as most Gerst shells end up looking pants.

I know there are some lovely ones out there though, but I really feel that simplicity wins this time.

Scott said:
Also just want to point out that I'd much rather have this metallic, clean cut, bright and bold look on the trains than some fibreglass shell as most Gerst shells end up looking pants.

I know there are some lovely ones out there though, but I really feel that simplicity wins this time.

Well, the whole ride is based on a toned down minimalist approach Scott after all ;)

Alastair said:
Rob said:

Nope, Untamed has brown restraints: :p

8chmo00ck9b8f1ke25d84k.jpg

Damn! World's first Gertlauer with bright colourful restraints? Or is that pushing it too much? :p

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.