• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Eleven years to go and counting.
Lightwater Valley start their codger discount at 60, just the right time for my mates kids to turn teenage.
And I think it is only a tenner there.

I can't work out how I feel about Thorpe park. Imo Alton is so much better, audio being a big reason. I think gate figures will be better at Thorpe this year. What do you reckon is next for the park? (After the ghost train is sorted and s bit of tlc!)

I genuinely think Thorpe's next coaster (which will come around 2019/2020) will have 15 inversions. Not only does this break the world record on a individual coaster, but it also breaks the records for most coasters inversions at a park. Magic Mountain hold the record with 36, and Thorpe is also behind Kings Island (25) and Cedar Point (24). So unless any of these parks build a coaster with a certain amount of inversions, Thorpe would break the record if they went with 15.

Why though? They already have a multi-looper and I'm sure not even Merlin are that stupid!
Plus, if the woodie at AT goes well, maybe we could get a bigger version down at thorpe?

It would be a classic Varney move if they did. In the early stages of planning what became The Smiler, he asked JW, "Who has the current most inversions on a coaster record?"
JW: "We do, at Thorpe."
NV: "Really? We do? Well who cares, lets break it again."

Why though? They already have a multi-looper and I'm sure not even Merlin are that stupid!
Plus, if the woodie at AT goes well, maybe we could get a bigger version down at thorpe?

Loads of parks have multi loopers. Magic Mountain do (Scream and Viper off the top of my head are this) not to mention their other coasters that add up to 36 ;) I wouldn't want something like this at Thorpe though, but mind you it could be a good ride it they went with say a mack launch looping coaster (Hint hint).

Why not both? A woody to keep wood-lovers happy, and an epic 300ft B&M speed hyper as well?

They already went for a woodie and merlin said no (an early concept for the ride that eventually became saw). I don't think the one at towers will affect thorpe in any way, SW8 Is a family ride, and thorpe will no doubt go for the thrill market. I agree that they're going to go for some gimmicky world record - not necessarily inversions, but it will be something like that. Where do people think it will go? Unless they find more room, im thinking saw: alive or loggers leap.

I know it's not going to happen, but I'd like to se them go for a mack. Either a launch (not likely as they have stealth), or even a BigDipper like lost gravity. Never been on either type of ride, but they look fun and could fit in thorpe.

Ah, I forgot about the pre-saw woody plan.

They could easily fit in an out-and-back hyper. Put the station where Loggers was, and run round the back of the park along the access road. Have the turn around on what used to be the Pirate Island. It could provide a great backdrop to the park's skyline!

They already went for a woodie and merlin said no (an early concept for the ride that eventually became saw). I don't think the one at towers will affect thorpe in any way, SW8 Is a family ride, and thorpe will no doubt go for the thrill market. I agree that they're going to go for some gimmicky world record - not necessarily inversions, but it will be something like that. Where do people think it will go? Unless they find more room, im thinking saw: alive or loggers leap.

I never knew Thorpe were planning a woodie at one point, I could have seen it somewhere and forgotten I suppose. However it probably would have been Tussauds who said no, as Merlin bought the park not long before the ride began construction.

For example, wood!
Saw was a much wiser investment than a wood coaster would have been at the time. For all the crap folks given Merlin about IPs, that one worked so well. It's a pretty uneventful EuroFighter at the end of the day, but word got round about it pretty quickly.

Next cred will blatantly be a RMC, because it'll be about 6 years after everyone else has one...
What does that matter, if nobody else in your market has one? Particularly when there's only one other on the continent. Greats rides mind, bring it on.

here's the only reference I can find of it. Before building saw, thorpe looked at getting a GCI.

Thanks for that. Used to browse Total Thorpe Park back in the day and recall keeping up with Saw's construction and now I feel nostalgic :p Strange though, I don't recongnise that wooden coaster plans, must have totally slipped my 12 year old mind :p