• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

I assume the three plug sockets above the TV screens are all a part of the theming :D

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

It looks absolutely stunning! This makes me really optimistic for future additions to Thorpe Park!

Out of interest, what makes you think it looks stunning?

Clearly it looks better than X was, but that is not hard. I can't comment on how well it does or does not represent The Walking Dead as I have no idea about what that really is. There's some decent effects but that's about it in my eyes.

:)

Out of interest, what makes you think it looks stunning?

Clearly it looks better than X was, but that is not hard. I can't comment on how well it does or does not represent The Walking Dead as I have no idea about what that really is. There's some decent effects but that's about it in my eyes.

:)
I think it looks stunning because:
  • The scene where the ride stops on the brake run looks really cool; a simple but effective effect.
  • The queue and preshow look really, really good and well themed.
  • The actual ride part looks very clever, with the flashing lights and the walker statues and the near misses.
  • It looks radically different to when X was there other than in terms of ride hardware.
I know that this might seem as though I am clutching at straws, but this is my opinion.

I think it looks stunning because:
  • The scene where the ride stops on the brake run looks really cool; a simple but effective effect.
  • The queue and preshow look really, really good and well themed.
  • The actual ride part looks very clever, with the flashing lights and the walker statues and the near misses.
  • It looks radically different to when X was there other than in terms of ride hardware.
I know that this might seem as though I am clutching at straws, but this is my opinion.

1. It feels really generic and bland.
2. It's well themed but nothing spectacular or different to what thorpre have elsewhere. Saw already ticked the box for most things like blood in the walls.
3. The ride itself looks alright, but lacks the fun energy of X and seems a lot shorter.
4. It is different but feels like another saw, except the exterior looks worse and without actors will be painful to ride, especially in the section after the ride ends.

Generic in the sense that we have seen the same thing done many times before. It's like clown based mazes, which are seen to be well themed but generic by many enthusiasts.

The theming looks good - although they’ve gone for Thorpe’s favourite theme which is delapidated. And that’s hard to mess up.

But it does look quite dull. Considering there won’t be live actors, the ride experience is just walking through two lengthy corridors with lots of loud sounds, broken up with a rollercoaster ride that’s climax is just a TV.

This’ll have huge queues because Thorpe. But judging from that footage I have no desire to ride it unless it’s walk-on.

Noticed that Sanbrooke doesn't think very highly of it haha!

I really can't find any interest in this, couldn't care less about the IP or the ride frankly.

I didn't dislike X - certainly a ride that got better with age (and direction!). I don't see how this makes it any less fun, looking forward to having a go.

Noticed that Sanbrooke doesn't think very highly of it haha!

I really can't find any interest in this, couldn't care less about the IP or the ride frankly.
Has he ridden it, then? Did he go to the press event?

As much as I think this looks fantastic, I don't think it looks overly scary as such. I do also question Merlin's marketing team's way of thinking when a decent size GCI (Wicker Man) is marketed as though it is a mild family adventure, whereas a retheme what is essentially a Vekoma family coaster in a building is made to look like the most terrifying thing ever designed. There must be a logical reason why, however, because Merlin know what they are doing and know how to make their parks' additions the best they can possibly be, however big or small they are. I must, however, reiterate that it looks stunning, and I applaud Thorpe for their efforts.

Given that I'm no longer a MAP holder, the chances of me making any effort to go and ride this in the near future seem pretty slim. I'm not particularly inclined to pay for the dubious privilege of visiting Thorpe Park given the complete lottery that still represents and as a result my thoughts on this largely relate to the overall concept rather than the quality of the finished product.

Once again, it's another "what were they thinking" attraction from Thorpe. They've taken what was until a few years ago an utterly appalling attraction but since the last refurb had finally found it's purpose. X was immeasurably more fun than its predecessor and had been transformed from something you'd only go on if it was raining or if everything else was shut into an attraction that you might actually want to ride on it's own merit. Unfortunately last year they brought in the 2 riders per row rule which utterly broke the operations of the ride whenever a group of 3 turned up resulting in it regularly getting 60min queues despite it being nowhere near as high profile as the other coasters in the park. These capacity issues have not been resolved by the retheme, but now it's the headline "new" attraction with a high profile that will expose this lack of capacity all the more. An SRQ would have fixed things, all it would have needed is for them to be paired with odd-numbered groups when batched into the preshow.

On top of this ill thought through queue generating machine they've lumbered themselves with, they've taken one of the park's few decent family rides that's not a water ride and slapped a 1.4m height restriction on it. It all rather flies in the face of the decision a few years ago to reduce the height restriction as part of a desperate push to make the park more family-friendly. It seems memories are short at Thorpe - do they want families to visit or not?

It seems memories are short at Thorpe - do they want families to visit or not?

That’s the vicious cycle that is Thorpe Park, every 3-4 years they decide we don’t want families to visit and destroy the past 3 years of working towards getting families back to the park.

It seriously makes no sense at all to chase these non family themes

Last edited:
That’s the viscous cycle that is Thorpe Park, every 3-4 years they decide we don’t want families to visit and destroy the past 3 years of working towards getting families back to the park.

It seriously makes no sense at all to chase these non family themes

Thorpe's decisions have never been the most fluid no...